It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hoagland pic...Mars Curiosity "Pump" Anomaly???? Not a Rock...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   

bluemooone2

Vasa Croe

Tardacus
If it`s not a rock than it`s probably a part of one of the many mars explorers that crashed.

NASA isn`t the only ones that have sent explorers to mars,the russians sent a few but they all crashed I think NASA even sent one that crashed.
There isn`t much gravity up there so I think parts from crashed explorers could travel a long way before finally settling down on the martian surface.

My question on that note would be could "corrosion" have done that much damage over a fairly short period of time to a part that was made for space travel? It appears very corroded.

Mars has a mostly nitrogen atmosphere with no oxygen so that things on Mars would decay VERY slowly.
Whatever this is I think we can rule out anything that we left up there.

As for the size of the object , Richard says that it is about the size of an old fashioned telephone.
edit on 26-9-2013 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

Thanks for the info. Was the size comparison something he said in the interview? Did he say anything else about it such as what he thought it was?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Vasa Croe

I think for NASA to have taken the time to take a picture of this object lends credence to their thinking it was of significance. I don't really have a need for closure on it but would like to understand what it may be. I would think that if it were a piece of a downed prior mission then they would want to take a closer look too. I can't say I thought NASA expected to see this unless they already knew it was there somehow.

And no...I have not emailed NASA about it....

Hi there, thanks for responding. My point really was that if indeed it is something NASA believe is of terrestrial origin, why would they divert Curiosity from it's path to confirm what they already know, while there may be some interest in its condition, there may not, but it's clearly not what the rover is there to do. This is of course working on the assumption that it is not indeed a rock, personally I don't think so, but light and shadow can play tricks on the mind. Let's face it, if NASA handed over control for every 'anomaly' that has been reported on ATS then Curiosity wouldn't have gotten very far yet and frankly wouldn't have done much except take a close look at rocks that from the right angle, with a bit of a squint and a lot of imagination look like a petrified rat.

As for not emailing NASA, that is of course your choice, but it seems some people on here (not you personally perhaps) are quick to say they don't give answers when it seems the first step sometimes is to at least ask the question.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

Most likely this is a piece of the planet blown out of the ground and throw to its current location. Could have been from an asteroid impact and then thrown hundreds of miles to it current location.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by uncommitted

And, as per my previous post, if it is a rock thrown here from another area, it provides an opportunity to study a different geological rock formation as a result of ots transplant without having to go there.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

wrkn4livn

Most likely this is a piece of the planet blown out of the ground and throw to its current location. Could have been from an asteroid impact and then thrown hundreds of miles to it current location.

I'm interested why you think that is the most likely explanation?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Soylent Green Is People

Tardacus

I think it would need oxygen to corrode, i`m thinking that maybe heat from the speed at which it was traveling could have made a mess of it like that.

you could try googling pictures of the various probes and explorers that crashed on mars and see if any of them have a part that resembles the object in the picture.

Rock does not require oxygen to corrode. There are many corrosive substances: sodium, sulfuric acid, various chlorides, salts, ammonia, hydrogen peroxide, and many others.

I'm not saying I think this is a case of corrosion -- I'm just pointing out the error in saying that oxygen is required for corrosion. That is not true.

Anyway...
As I said before, perhaps this is volcanic in nature, and it is a gas bubble that formed while the rock cooled.

Or maybe the rock was formed in a thermal "mudpot", and this was a bubble inside the mud that remained as the mud hardened into rock, and then later the rock broke to reveal half of the bubble.

edit on 9/26/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

Carbon Dioxide in water forms carbonic acid which is highly corrosive and Mar's atmosphere is mostly CO2... but where would the water come from?

This thing is the most intriguing Mars object I've seen on ATS yet. The "pipe" looks like it has a flanged end on it... and the protrusions on the top don't look natural either.

If it's a rock, it sure is bizarre....

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Woops , I thought he said nitrogen but , ya the atmosphere on mars is mostly carbon dioxide.
The size thing ,ya he said that on the show.
Of all the pictures that Richard has shown him(most Art said `rocks` or a `kitty litter box`) but hes still going on about this one he calls number 9 .

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I don't know why but this reminded me of Weebo from "Flubber" with Robin Williams.

Doesn't look like a rock to me, but it's possible I suppose. Maybe it's possible that NASA gets some of their pictures from the testing sites they have around the world? Maybe they're not all from the Rover? Just speculation. Then there's the possibility that it's not even on Mars at all.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Who cares what everyone thinks this is....When you see something shiny on the beach you bend down and pick it up, to see what it is. Why doesn't NASA ever do that?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Do you happen to have the NASA image link? If so can you please add it to your OP, I'd like to see this in full view and the source from which it came. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Staroth

Do you happen to have the NASA image link? If so can you please add it to your OP, I'd like to see this in full view and the source from which it came. Thanks.

They were posted on page 3 I think, but just in case:

Pic 1

Pic 2

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

----well i would say that 99% of the pics from mars are ROCKS..sometimes though,even ROCKS can look "constructed"..by intelligent beings..look at the "lady" on mars-for example.totally looks like a "petrified" REAL woman..but..

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I'm a good one to make a guess....I'm all mechanical and facilities.....
It's a perfect hydraulic leveler....
But in general....the perfectly square orientation of the pipe on two axis......the diameter of the pipe.....the set and boss-up of the upper structure and the wide -set base bottom part.....concludes.....this thing actuated at one time....das right...you heard me correctly...I'm telling you this thing was half-way important at one time, probably not in an aircraft.....but in the boiler room area....type place....HUH!

edit on 27-9-2013 by GBP/JPY because: Yahuweh...the coolest of names, I swear

edit on 27-9-2013 by GBP/JPY because: Yahuweh...the coolest of names, I swear

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
A good rule of thumb to follow: If it comes from Hoagland, it is complete bulls**t.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Leonidas
A good rule of thumb to follow: If it comes from Hoagland, it is complete bulls**t.

Trouble is this is an actual picture that is on NASA's site. I feel the same way about him but this picture is very different from the others.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

How do you know?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

I also pointed out many objects that had that same tube like appearance. And I searched for a reasonable explanation here on earth of how this could be formed.

I can say that this could be a reasonable explanation of also what I pointed out..
But i'm still not totally convinced about it somehow not that I want it to see it that way but just my gut feeling, I still believe that there will be a great discovery coming ahead in the months or years to come..

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Thanks for the reply.

Have youy heard whether or not NASA has made any comment about this anomoly? There are a number of other images with some unusual items in them that were posted to the net with no comment from NASA what so ever. I won't hold my breath waiting for anything meaningful to come from NASA, but it is amusing to hear their attempts at explanation.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Looks like some sort of equipment to me that's been left there for a very long time! As you can tell, sandstorm's have took there effect on this little beauty.

Ps - looks like a link army tank lol

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I'm sorry everyone but I have a different theory about things like that that are found on mars that everyone might not like, but back in the 70s there were many probes and satellites that were sent to mars for mapping and such that ended up mysteriously crashing into the planet because they didn't have real control over how these satellites orbited the planet so before everyone jumps the gun and says ancient civilization or ufos remember we have sent MANY satellites that crashed before they learned to drop a rover on the planet

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join