It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dog Vs. Cat...how to introduce...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Just got a new cat tonight and I am a rookie at the intro...I brought cat home and kept cat isolated for about 3 hours in his own room...food cat-box, cat food(mix of old and new) and the transfer carrier...cat and dog smelled each other under door plus dog and cat were together when I got the cat earlier this P>M> cat was in carrier dog had free run of front of truck cab...left them briefly alone together approximately...15 min while I went into store to purchase cat supplies and a bottle of merlot for me...

I hope I am doing this right, just now opened cat room and cat and dog are adjusting under close supervision...Cat seems to understand body language from me along with subtle noises and dog only responds to verbal commands...any other tips or suggestions to insure this relationship goes well...

edit on 9/26/13 by shells4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by shells4u

How old is the dog?..and of course is the cat fixed.
I have an older dog that fell in love with a cat that licks his face.I think it all depends on the surroundings and the temperment of each.Slowly ease them in if violent behavior ensues.Animals get jealous too remember...All the good luck

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Well, the Merlot sounds like a good move! I guess plenty of cuddling so dog doesn't go all "displaced baby" on you and so cat will feel secure in new home.

My dog and cat refuse to make eye contact with each other, but will sit close to one another. They settled on this relationship once the alpaha female ruler of minions passed away a few years ago. They're old and don't have enough mickey in them to vie for rulership.

I wish you luck as well and hopefully a lot of laughs as the pecking order is established

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Trust your gut. You know your dog well and obviously have a great deal a trust for him/her. If jealously happens, reassure your dog. If the cat gets anxious, scared, nervous (fur stands up, tail puffs out, ears back), separate the two and reassure the cat (and dog too). Make sure kitty has a place he/she could jump onto to escape the dog if you plan on allowing both of them to roam free for the night. Maybe a high bed for the cat for the evening could let him/her sleep or relax (blanket on the counter). If things get ugly between the two, separate them for a couple of days, let them get familiar with the new smells allowing small introductions/interactions for short amounts of times. Always make sure the cat has a place to jump onto that the dog cannot reach- it will be the savior of the relationship if your cat ends up not liking your dog. Most cats will tolerate a dog, but not always enjoy the dog. In my experience, the dog usually likes the cat a lot more than the cat likes the dog. Or in my case, my dog has a unique relation with each of my cats (I have 5). I have one cat he just loves (who really seems to just put up with him) while there is another cat who is aggressively annoyed by the dog (feelings are mutual) but that cat doesn't like a couple of the other cats as well. Although I don't have a cat who tends to actually enjoy the dog, only 1 out of 5 cat actively dislikes the dog.

No, it's not just me taking care of all of these animals, and yes, I could write a book based on the characters and interactions of my animals.
edit on 26-9-2013 by gracesillups because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-9-2013 by gracesillups because: word choice, I over analyze my posts.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I'm sure you will get a lot of good tips. But one thing that seems to help is to pet the dog, and let the cat smell your hand. Then pet the cat, and let the dog smell you hand. Pet dog, cat, dog, cat, etc. and mix their smells between each other. This helps to familiarize them with each other.

They will probably be best buds. Just let them take it at their own pace.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SarnholeOntarable

Dog is a female fixed 2 1/2 yrs. old ( same size as the cat) Cat is 5-6 months old...male un-fixed(soon to be neutered) Female adopted fixed and chipped...cat unfixed, shots...soon to be fixed and chipped as well...all is peaceful so far...I am winging and its the most beautiful thing I have done in sooooo long...I have periodic tingles and quiet chuckles not talking just observing and being there for re-assurance....

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   

I hope that my suggestions will help you.
If you need anymore advice please tell me.

Good Luck
reply to post by 321equinox

Beautiful....tingles up my spine...did this on instinct on my own....thanks...

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Dimmed lights have a lantern going and 80's music....UPDATE....

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by gracesillups

let them get familiar with the new smells allowing small introductions/interactions for short amounts of times.

Good advice...Putting cat in room...they just had an altercation just now when I went potty... cat followed me into bathroom and dog had a cow!!!

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Well, the Merlot sounds like a good move! I guess plenty of cuddling so dog doesn't go all "displaced baby" on you and so cat will feel secure in new home.
reply to post by shockedonlooker

No doubt...lol...Cant afford the pet shrink bills later on...and sooner or later they will have to hold down the fort while Mommy starts her new job...november...

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
One of the things that helped out two pets out at the time was putting up a baby gate that was just low enough to let the cat under into the next room, but high enough to keep out the large breed of dog we had (Siberian Husky). This way, the cat could come out, grab some food, then go back into her "safe room".

At first, both animals kid of hated each other, and then one night, we discovered that out little cat was picking on the dog while it was sleeping (she would attack the dog's ears, then run back under the gate before he lunged at her). How this one ends is that one night, the cat attacked my dog's ears, then went back under the gate, and looked back to see what the dog would do - lets just say that the dog ran full on into the baby gate, knocked it over, and cornered the cat. He then started giver her kisses, and they've been friends ever since.

As long as you keep an eye on them, even if it's an older cat, it will grow to be indifferent towards a dog - might take a while though. Good Luck!

-fossilera

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

One of the things that helped out two pets out at the time was putting up a baby gate that was just low enough to let the cat under into the next room, but high enough to keep out the large breed of dog we had (Siberian Husky). This way, the cat could come out, grab some food, then go back into her "safe room".
reply to post by fossilera

I love this idea...I have a gate like that and its an awesome idea when I have to leave to market and work...etc
Thanks for this suggestion I would not of thought of doing that...

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Here he is...

joking...lol...

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   

here is my lil girl...

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
You have to get into a cat's head:

wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net...

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Here is an update...
...Thanks everyone...we DID IT!!! TOGETHER...AGAIN...ATS...IS...MY...SUPPORT...TEAM!!!

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Forgot to tell u how funny that was thanks...I do love a good laugh...

top topics

join