It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

27-Year-Old Man Gets "20 Years Hard Labor" for Half an Ounce of Pot

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Propulsion
I’m sure after the first offence, he was told what would happen if he didn’t comply. Well, he DIDN’T comply and am now paying the consequences for it. Is it really that hard to understand? When I was a kid, I touched the hot stove and figured out real quick that if I touched it again I would pay the price. If I figured that out as a kid, than this guy should have figured what he was doing wrong as an adult.

Yet I'd bet in other threads you advocate for freedom and complain how corrupt our government is?

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Holy crap....WTF why is this still allowed in this country!!

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jssaylor2007

If you stand and support a dumb, worthless, unconstitutional law, you are just as guilty as those who create these interruptions of freedom.

The same people will be screaming how they are all for freedom when in essence they are slaves...happy slaves yet still slaves.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I am not optimistic the United States will ever be the Land of Freedom and Liberty again as our founding fathers had envisioned it. There are too many who value only the freedoms they personally enjoy and have no tolerance or positive wish for another one's pursuits.

Many seem to be quite happy with us being the most incarcerated people on the face of the Earth. That really is not something to be proud of and it really contributes nothing to making us a safe society. To the contrary, we seem to be increasingly mal-contented pent-up monsters wishing to unleash our wrath on anyone who does not share our same values. We are certainly not among the happiest people on Earth, despite our prosperity.

True community does not and cannot exist where there is no true freedom. As a society we are currently lost but perhaps just now finding our way again. The "pot concession" is perhaps the best step forward in regaining the community we have lost, something that would restore our faith in authority and order once again. Normalizing our relationship with hemp once again would put better and more durable products back on our shelves and stop the battering-in of our doors to enforce an unjust prohibition that serves no one but those self-serving profiteers who would compromise our political systems in order to deprive us of crucial resources so they could push their inferior products.

Enough! Open the prison doors for those who have been unjustly put away so the manipulators could profiteer off those they could ensnare. It is unjust and criminal what we have been put through.

edit on 26-9-2013 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

stupid and crazy.....even McCain said recently pot should be legalized. im sorry for the state of Louisiana

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

It is a sick, SICK, world
we live in.

Going to do my best at kicking at the foundations.

Hoping for the best.

"Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again".

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
How does the saying go, "in a corrupt country the laws must be abundant."

Or some such thing. I assume that means that corrupt places generally have more retarded laws in place than you can count; when you happen to break one you are hit with "Ignorantia juris non excusat" and go to jail for the rest of your life.

Pretty funny how having a gram of a plant can get you more than a year in JAIL where you risk serious injury and/or death (butt rape and HIV?)

Yeah... makes perfect sense.

They should have given the guy 150 years of hard labor and chopped his hands off for 15 grams.

Hell, if he has kids put them up for auction on the black market. His wife too.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

teachtaire
How does the saying go, "in a corrupt country the laws must be abundant."

Pretty funny how having a gram of a plant can get you more than a year in JAIL where you risk serious injury and/or death (butt rape and HIV?)

Wow! Talk about Lethal Injection...

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
While you can argue that this verdict is unjustified, if you like it or not - it is within the current law of Louisiana and this individual probably was very aware of that. Sure enough it's an example verdict and probably will be way lowered during the second or third pass.

BUT here is something that easily can be changed. Not by yelling how backwards the law system is, but by actual starting a voter-initiative and put pressure on the law-makers.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
With a thread like this and so much support for an unjust law, I can't help but wonder if there aren't big brother shills on here making distraction and dis-info post in hopes of defending the unjust ways the US government, specifically in this thread the justice system.

Can someone kindly explain how it is okay for someone to go to jail longer than a murderer for simply possessing a petty amount of a non-toxic plant?

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Please stay on topic.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
20 years? for a plant? logic defies the american justice system obviously. what an absolute joke... poor guy

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

thesaneone
This is how I see it.

The guy was going to jail because he broke the law more then one time when the judge tells you that if you break the law one more time no matter how petty I will lock you up for a long time I would listen to them.

Oh okay.

This would be a great speech to give to gay people in Russia.

Law is law, just don't repeat your "offenses".

Simple as, right?

You can say "Law is Law" all you like, but it really doesn't change the fact that obvious corporatocracy is obvious. The only reason Marijuana is illegal at all is because the cotton industry launched an insidious brainwashing scheme to protect themselves from competitive hemp sales. I'd say that's a fascist law worth breaking over and over and over again -- regardless of how many morons will say they have no sympathy for you on an online forum.
edit on 26-9-2013 by LightOrange because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
They don't really give a rat's ass about justice. They just want the money they make from bailbonding, forfeitd bail, legal fees, and subsidies to their bros who build and run the jails. *Shrugs.

staple
... I swear this part is true. The cops left the pot.

This is exacty what happened to us in Mexico. The Federales took our cameras, cigs, jewelry, surfboards, and money (minus enough for three train tickets), told us to be on the next train, and left the pot.

edit on 9/26/2013 by ~Lucidity because: decided to comment on the topic too....

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

flyandi
BUT here is something that easily can be changed. Not by yelling how backwards the law system is, but by actual starting a voter-initiative and put pressure on the law-makers.

Easily changed... yeah, right. Just how far would an initiative get - if Louisiana even has an initiative process - if such a petition began making its rounds before people had reason to feel dissatisfied, frustrated, or disenfranchised or even aware of that law they were seeking to change? Discussion such as this is a necessary part of that process. We have been experiencing oppression more than ever lately and are up to our eyeballs with it. That is why things are beginning to move in a more positive direction now. We must organize to move ahead if we hope to accomplish anything at all.

It is fortunate the restrictions of discussing such matters have been lifted enough to even address this issue - and it is an important one, one that will set the pendulum in motion again in the proper direction. If we seek to save our republic this may be the path people are most motivated to travel. It is the path that was blazed in the other direction to take away our rights, our liberties, our property and eliminate what privacies we one had. It is this very issue that granted the authorities and enforcers access to our livingrooms to violate our sanctity any time it pleased them to do so.

This has almost nothing to do with "getting stoned" but most importantly in recapturing our lost freedoms and our privacy and putting our homes open to the pleasures of those who would twist the spirit of justice to confiscate our belongings and freedom over the least justification. If we wish for self-ownership and to be left unmolested this must cease and desist immediately lest we surrender ourselves into bondage.

edit on 26-9-2013 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
for everyone attacking this sentence : two words "states rights "

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Here in Australia, I know 'someone' who was once picked of for being drunk and j-walking across a road at about 2am outside a club. He had a point of amphetamines on him and all that happened was it was confiscated and he had a 6 month good behaviour bond.

Safe to say that scared that you guy away from anything like that again- but what I am getting at is this was this guys first offence, where as the guy in the OP has had multiple. I'm not saying he should be put away for that- never! A good behaviour bond or large fine (as it wasn't his first offence) would suffice IMHO.

(post by yamammasamonkey removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Has anyone here even been to New Orleans??

I have many, many times and it's sin cities(Las Vegas) evil nasty cousin. I have read through pretty much the entire thread and I haven't seen where one person even mentions how saturated New Orleans is with drugs. Drugs far worse then weed and are readily available. I mean it's New Orleans, the womb for budding jazz and blues musicians. This is a place where N.O. police offices park their patrol cars in front of bars and go in and have a drink in uniform. Not only that but sit next to many people who are obviously openly smoking weed judging by the haze in lights and pungent skunky smell in the air. People in N.O. smoke weed like cigarettes.

Total hypocrisy at it's worse.......

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join