It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

27-Year-Old Man Gets "20 Years Hard Labor" for Half an Ounce of Pot

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

Wrong.

It is the law, and the majority of people in that state don't agree with your sentiment that smoking weed is an acceptable practice.

I live in a dry county that to this day prohibits alcohol being sold in the county. Yes I drink, yes it would be nice to be able to buy it within 30 miles, but unfortunately I am in the minority. If it was something that "needed to be changed," then I would imagine that it would've been overturned in one of the last 4 votes we had on the issue.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Baddogma

Odd, I wasn't aware that there were only six states.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
This is how I see it.

The guy was going to jail because he broke the law more then one time when the judge tells you that if you break the law one more time no matter how petty I will lock you up for a long time I would listen to them.

Is the law dumb? Yes but it's there law, people need to fight and have it changed.

One of the reasons I moved to Arizona was because of the laws that protect medical users.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

You are the first sensible opinion I have read on here so far. That is exactly the point I was trying to make, if you don't agree with the law then either make a concerted effort to change it, or move to a place where the laws better suit your lifestyle. Breaking the laws you don't agree with gets you nowhere good.

ETA. star for you!
edit on 26-9-2013 by jssaylor2007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

wantsome

thesaneone
reply to post by wantsome

Do you drink coffee or tea?

Do you eat chocolate?

If so you are on drugs that alter your mind.
Yes I drink coffee and eat chocolate but they don't make me psychotically paranoid like weed does. Not of mention if I smoke a joint I become an Alzheimer patient for a week.

Your analogy that weed is no more different then chocolate or coffee is a total lie. I smoked the stuff for 10 years and know all about it. Not to mention I have family members that have been smoking it since the 60's. I've spent years observing their behavior while they were high.

The stuff isn't as harmless as marijuana advocates like to lead people to believe. Drug addicts will say anything to downplay the harmful effects of their drugs of choice because they usually have an agenda like legalization.

No one is saying they're the same thing. It was merely pointed out that those things are also considered "mind altering substances."

This is perfectly relevant because you started out your previous post by saying:

I have no sympathy for drug addicts so who cares. I see no positive reason for using mind altering substances.

If you drink coffee and eat chocolate you clearly find some positive reason for using some "mind altering substances." Also, coffee / caffeine is pretty addictive. Its addiction profile is quite different than most drugs (as is its mechanism of action) but it certainly is addictive, to a degree.

What you're really saying is "I find value in my mind altering substances, but not the others, so those ones shouldn't be allowed. I tried those 'others'... for ten years, no less, but then I 'came to my senses' and now I think it's wrong, and so I think others are deserving of jail for this thing that I got away with for 10 years."***

You are also making the logical fallacy of thinking everyone reacts to substances the way you do, or should feel the same way you do.

I bet you also drink alcohol-- which is far more similar to cannabis than caffeine. And much, much worse than either of them. And forgive me if I'm wrong there. But if you're not a drinker, yourself, I bet you condone it. Which seems a bit of a two-sided standard based on personal bias from your past, because you had a hard time with one of them.

And don't get me wrong-- your final point here does have some truth to it. No, it is not 100% harmless or without side-effect. Nothing is. Especially if chronically used. And sure, some people down-play the negatives, just like some others exaggerate them. However, subjectively speaking it is far safer and better for you than alcohol, which is legal and commonly used across the nation. And many, many people who oppose cannabis seem to strangely not be opposed to alcohol, as well, often using it themselves. This is not right. Not only is it hypocritical, it reeks of misplaced bias.

***PS-- I'll take that position more seriously when you turn yourself in to your local police department for your past drug crimes. I mean-- you did break the law, after all, right? And you should therefore have to pay for it...?
edit on 26-9-2013 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

TinfoilTP
For those that are crying because the States can make their own laws, that is the way this country was intended, Washington DC is far too over reaching. Alcohol prohibition was repealed but to this day there are still counties in all the States that are dry, can't buy a drop. The federal govt cannot go in and force them to sell alcohol, nor should they, it was decided on a more local level.

The difference would be that the cops, SWAT, DEA, Alcohol and Tobacco can't bust their way into your home, kill your dog, father, girlfriend, or while because you happen to be drinking a bear in a "dry" county.

If you can't see the difference, then I feel sorry for you.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

I agree and will add to those who say "it's the law" and "he got what he deserved" you are a bunch of hypocrites and you are not perfect, because if this happened to anyone of your loved ones you would be singing a different tune..

My son has had 3 speeding tickets in the last year , all about 12 to 15 mph over so should he get 20 years in prison for being a repeat offender?

Should you guys get 20 years for your 3rd speeding ticket?

This is a nonviolent and victimless crime

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by HandyDandy

The difference would be that the cops, SWAT, DEA, Alcohol and Tobacco can't bust their way into your home, kill your dog, father, girlfriend, or while because you happen to be drinking a bear in a "dry" county.

If you can't see the difference, then I feel sorry for you.

They can. they do it all the time..

If you think you are safe from them because you don't smoke weed then you don't read many of the threads here on ats

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Here is my question...

First off, I am a proud member of NORML (have been since the early 1990s) and a supporter of reform in the cannabis law NATIONWIDE... YET, there are States not to screw around in . The worst states (if memory serves ) are texas, Florida and North dakota where you can do some serious time. Evidently LA is one as well.

HOWEVER, he did break the law and knew the repercussions of living in a Totalitarian State like he does. And "States Rights" trump all IMHO.

BUT...What if I , being a legal Medical Cannabis user entered this State and was "Busted" even though I possess a card. I am curious what your thoughts are (I know the answer BTW)- And what if he had been caught with narcotic Pills (without a script) like Vicoden? (I do not know the answer)?

EDIT- I also find it amusing that LA hosts the "show me your Tits for some beads" drunk fest and yet can hand out 20 years for 1/2 oz (approx $75) worth of cannabis. But....Thats why I live in Michigan =)

EDIT 2- Also to the guy in a "dry county"- I too loved in Dry County (well...It was called "moist " since select bars could serve if you knew the right people but nothing "take home" anywhere) which was laurel Co. KY... And yes...Doors were kicked in for Booze. You were only allowed "so much" or could be considered a Bootlegger and they would come in "guns-a-blazing" if they suspected you had more than your few cases opf beer or 5ths of whiskey... Funnier STILL was that Cannabis was nearly left alone and if you had less than 5 plants it was a "fine"- AND even funnier (is funnier a word? lol) was that the KY Bourbon Distilleries (where they make the #) were in dry Counties where it was illegal to buy... =/

edit on 26-9-2013 by DarKPenguiN because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
LA is a private prison sate so it's not shocking that the judge threw the book at him.I bet he or she has one of those companies as a major donor.Not to mention what better way to impress the dupes that you are "tough on crime."?

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

mike dangerously
LA is a private prison sate so it's not shocking that the judge threw the book at him.I bet he or she has one of those companies as a major donor.Not to mention what better way to impress the dupes that you are "tough on crime."?

It still comes down to States rights.

The PEOPLE need to get out there and change the madness or they prefer it...

I totally agree with the gist of your argument but the "power" is still with the people. We had people fight and DIE for what we now have in Michigan. We never had the insanity of some States but it was pretty bad here 15 years ago... Read the book "Burning Rainbow farm" for some insight into what it took here- We were nearly the first State to fully Legalize but... Long story- Its in the book.

Now we have fairly good laws- many Cities have decriminalized an oz, the WHOLE State Has medical allowing me to possess 2.5 oz's and grow 12 plants LEGALLY plus buy from $hops if I so desire and we are probably going to be the next fully legal State (Lansing will be a city voting on FULL LEGALIZATION soon)

BUT... It took alot to get to that point. In '03 my Buddy got 5 years for a Lb of cannabis- Today that would be probation. But without the people wanting it enough to actually get LOUD about it- Nothing will change..And if a State doesnt want it- bless em- Just dont live there.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Especially when you consider the fact that Louisiana, like every other state, is pro-tobacco and pro-alcohol. It's retarded that weed is illegal in 48 states. America needs to be the first to write off alcohol 100% as illegal. It causes more issues than you can possibly conceive ranging from liver and heart disorders, to depression and domestic abuse, not to mention thousands of traffic fatalities every year. Then there's tobacco...the end all be all worst legal thing you can put in your lungs: heart and lung disorders, tongue, throat, nose, and other horrible forms of cancer, yellowing of the teeth, eyes, and nails.

All the while weed's ONLY drawback is that it can MAYBE POSSIBLY NOT-100% PROVEN lead to Acute Schizophrenia in people with a genetic predisposition to Schizophrenia (less than 0.5% of the population of the US). Otherwise it's 100% natural and good for headaches, intestinal issues, glaucoma, eating disorders, depression, etc. etc. etc.

America...land of the free-to-be ignorant, the arrogant, and the hypocritical. However, ask a question or go against the grain...get 20+ years in prison for having a plant in your possession. Again...retarded.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Xterrain
reply to post by goou111

Especially when you consider the fact that Louisiana, like every other state, is pro-tobacco and pro-alcohol. It's retarded that weed is illegal in 48 states. America needs to be the first to write off alcohol 100% as illegal. It causes more issues than you can possibly conceive ranging from liver and heart disorders, to depression and domestic abuse, not to mention thousands of traffic fatalities every year. Then there's tobacco...the end all be all worst legal thing you can put in your lungs: heart and lung disorders, tongue, throat, nose, and other horrible forms of cancer, yellowing of the teeth, eyes, and nails.

All the while weed's ONLY drawback is that it can MAYBE POSSIBLY NOT-100% PROVEN lead to Acute Schizophrenia in people with a genetic predisposition to Schizophrenia (less than 0.5% of the population of the US). Otherwise it's 100% natural and good for headaches, intestinal issues, glaucoma, eating disorders, depression, etc. etc. etc.

America...land of the free-to-be ignorant, the arrogant, and the hypocritical. However, ask a question or go against the grain...get 20+ years in prison for having a plant in your possession. Again...retarded.

Interestingly do you know who puts the most money into lobbying against cannabis?

Thats right..The Alcohol and Tobacco lobby.

Think about that for a moment...

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

shells4u
If he was not following the laws in what ever state he lives in he deserves punishment...according to the laws all voters voted in...

You are looking at it from a standpoint of whether or not this was a LEGAL decision. No one is arguing that the 20 year sentence was ILLEGAL.

Certainly, if you don't believe that laws need to changed.....then perhaps a black man should still be charged if he drinks out of the same fountain as a white man?

There is a REASON laws change. There is a REASON people are saying this isn't right.

Perhaps this man is going to have to serve his sentence.....and you are right, he should have known better (although the punishment does NOT match the crime).

That does NOT mean we can't fight for a more sane justice system.....one that doesn't punish innocent men who smoke a bit of pot with several decades of being locked in a cage like an animal.

(post by DarKPenguiN removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
mod Note:

Discussion of personal use is still not allowed on ATS, regardless of where you live.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Like any other drug, there are issues of dependence and abuse. There are no clear cut clinical studies indicating marijuana is addictive, but just like many drugs, the use of marijuana typically lends itself very easily to feelings of dependence on the part of the user.

The subject in LA certainly was not incarcerated for simply using/possessing marijuana. The person was incarcerated for violating the 3 strikes; however, the dependence on the drug is setting many people up for failure.

If severe consequence such as prison was truly a deterrent, then the very first "proverbial," use of drug(s) (AKA, the APPLE) resulting in banishment from PARADISE, would have worked and we would never have touched any drugs ever again.

(post by DarKPenguiN removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I'll say it again... discussion of personal use is not allowed.

Thread closed

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Thread is re-opened because it is a good topic.

Just keep personal use out of it from now on or it will be closed permanently and that would suck.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join