It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

27-Year-Old Man Gets "20 Years Hard Labor" for Half an Ounce of Pot

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Well, different States in the US have different local laws. Surely that's an expression of the democracy, thus demonstrating something works. With regards to multiple offenders, such as this person... He knew the rules.

Regards

Please, not the old "he knew the rules" line. Sometimes the rules are tyranny and shouldn't be followed. If the rules said jump off a cliff, you would do it I assume.
edit on 27-9-2013 by thoiter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   
So now all Americans have to suffer along with him and pay up to 40k a year to house him. That's close to million dollars over 20 years. It's costs twice as much to house someone in prison than the average person makes a year. Yeah we got problems. Can everybody say bye bye America as it flushes down the toilet.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

So much cheaper to imprison stoners, rather than violent offenders!

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

This is without a doubt far too severe

wasnt that chap who imprisoned girls in his house for years only sentenced to 15 years?

'go ahead and murder and rape but, carry a few blunts worth around with you and it is game over'

just wanted to air my thoughts on this madness

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

This makes me gag and almost puke.
This poor guy gets 20 years for having some buds? His past records are irrelevant. He got 20 for having a bag of personal pot! I hope he escapes and runs to Canada or the west coast where potheads who like to laugh and eat chips are tolerated.
It's also nice to finally see a thread about the injustices of pot prohibition on ats without the owners killing it and labelling it "drugs" and removing it all Nancy Reagan dumb ass style. Cannabis has been medicine for thousands of years and not once in all if history has someone died from smoking or eating cannabis . This conspiracy to jail potheads to stifle dissent and fill prisons is totally wrong! Please god fix this crap!

edit on 27-9-2013 by WormwoodSquirm because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
The sad thing is, this man could have been ANY of us, who have had pot more than twice in our life. I don't know about you guys.....but I was a teenager once. Kind of sad to think if this country, had I run into a stroke of bad luck.....I'd being 20 behind bars instead of raising my wonderful child I have right now.

Even more sad when I stop to think of all the people I know in life. Out of hundreds, a good portion of them could have been in the same circumstances.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   

flyandi
While you can argue that this verdict is unjustified, if you like it or not - it is within the current law of Louisiana and this individual probably was very aware of that. Sure enough it's an example verdict and probably will be way lowered during the second or third pass.

BUT here is something that easily can be changed. Not by yelling how backwards the law system is, but by actual starting a voter-initiative and put pressure on the law-makers.

I'm so sick of this "the law is the law" and "you can vote the law that you want" crap. And it IS crap and I'll tell you why.

The voters in Washington DC legalized medical marijuana way back in 1996. Congress didn't allow it to be implemented until 2010.

Tell me again how the people have the power?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by jssaylor2007

It is the law, and the majority of people in that state don't agree with your sentiment that smoking weed is an acceptable practice.

I am sure majority of people in that state do not agree with 20 years sentence for marijuana, either.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

I'd say these people saying the law is the law are being very hypocritical (to put it nicely).

I will contend that jaywalking is far more dangerous to themselves and to others around them. Yet, I can guarantee that they have jaywalked more than 3 times in their lives. Being repeat offenders of a law designed to protect the public, one would think they would be advocating themselves be put in a cage for 20 years.

If not, the only thing I can call them within T&Cs is a hypocrite.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by HandyDandy

"I'd say these people saying the law is the law are being very hypocritical (to put it nicely)."

No wonder the average Joe these days has no respect for the law when you consider that justice can be purchased by the privileged few. Ironically the very same scum that's responsible for there inception.

Nobody ever wonder why Justice is blind?
LoL

IMHO they can stick there laws where the Sun don't shine!

I know right from wrong and that is all thats required!

edit on 27-9-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Just wanted to weigh in here.

No matter where a person stands on the legalization issue it should be plain for all to see that this is blatant, patent, institutionalized misuse of the law. Not just this case, but many more like it. This has been going on for a very long time.

Serious criminals can be put away for a long time by violating any conditions of their release. Maybe this guy is scum. We don't know that. Assuming he has three charges, all for possession, 15 grams isn't much...

Wait a minute.

If the statute is anything over 14 grams the police must have weighed the baggie along with it to bump the charge up to a felony. Oh that's right, they generally do that anyway. Even if the container weighs more than the contraband. Especially if.

Wow. What a racket. A life in ruin over the weight of a sandwich bag. At this point, anyone without a felony jacket should consider themselves fortunate.

This sounds like a message from the state of Louisiana. We read you loud and clear. You are still corrupt as # and very much in the business of human trafficking. Check.

One more item: Can somebody from the letter-of-the-law crowd explain to us again how this 'voting makes things happen' works? Because I'm calling BS on that one. Popular vote doesn't count when representatives are bought out by corporate interest.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Last chance.

Stick to the topic or this thread will wind up getting binned.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   

SlackOps
This sounds like a message from the state of Louisiana.

And the message is "Do not be a drug addict and do drugs in Louisiana, if we catch you we will jail you.

Simply do not do drugs and that law is not a problem! How hard is that to remember?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by hellobruce

"Simply do not do drugs and that law is not a problem! How hard is that to remember?"

Cannabis is considered a herb by enlightened like minded people.

Maybe if the government understood this concept then they might release its not a dangerous drug and stop criminalising peoples freedom of choice!

Its ok to smoke tobacco and consume alcohol yet dope is illegal?

The sheer hypocrisy is astonishing!

edit on 27-9-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Cannabis is considered a herb by enlightened like minded people.

Maybe if the government understand this concept then they might release its not a dangerous drug and stop criminalising peoples freedom of choice!
reply to post by andy06shake

This is exactly why herb is illegal, the predator class do not want an enlightened populace, that's why you get 20 hard in Louisiana.
edit on 27-9-2013 by abdel because: (he didn't say)

edit on 27-9-2013 by abdel because: (see above)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   

goou111
I have seen lots of polls where the majority of Americans support the legalization of marijuana, but they keep arresting us for it

That is why they keep arresting them for it. Because the majority want it legal.

Those in charge have no choice. Want to know why?

Because, IMO, the effects of this drug changes the way people think. In a way that is very dangerous to those in charge. Most of the people I know who use it are very difficult to feed BS to.

If you had millions of people that you had to look after, and had no choice but to lie to them in order to do it, you wouldn't want them smoking this stuff either...

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   

abdel
This is exactly why herb is illegal, the predator class do want want an enlightened populace, that's why you get 20 hard in Louisiana.

Just noticed your post above mine after I hit the reply button.

Good to see someone else has worked it out too!

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Irrespective of the view about legalisation the point is he was a repeat offender in a state where they send people away for 20 years. It was his choice to stay put and offend or move to a state where he could consume freely.

In the end this says more about the IQ or arrogance of the offender!

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

I repaired the typo since you copied it.
Yeah, most cultures are based on things such as ganja and hallucinogens, Egyptians, Mayans etc. it's a part of life and nature. Strange that it freaks people out so much but the whacky world of drugs isn't for everybody, but nothing is.
Terms and conditions apply

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join