Second Big Quake After Pakistan! 7 Mag Quake Strike Peru - 25 september 2013

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

M7.0 - 50km S of Acari, Peru
2013-09-25 16:42:42 UTC

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Update 22:54 UTC: 3 miners got killed and 12 where injured when the mine “4 horas” collapsed at the time of the earthquake.

Update 20:01 UTC:
- The Panamericana road has been blocked by two landslides.
- 3 landslides have been reported in the road Pausa-Oyolo in Ayacucho.
- A landslide also happened in the kilometer 700 in Atico, Caraveli province.
- A tunnel has also been blocked by another landslide in Ocana, Camana province.
- The elementary school of Acari number 40262 has been damaged.
- Other schools have been damaged in Acari.
- A school collapsed in Palca, Lucanas province.
- A number of houses have been declared as uninhabitable in the same city of Palca.

Update 18:23 UTC : At least 6 people were injured in a house collapse in Paucar del Sara Sara in Ayacucho.

Update 18:14 UTC : Collapsed houses are reported from Acari and Caraveli area. More houses are damaged,
schools were evacuated. Several landslides occurred, blocking and damaging roads. Also the Panamericana is affected.

Update 17:39 UTC : Contrary to what we expected initially, the earthquake is more powerful than expected. Local press is reporting a number of collapsed houses in Arequipa, esspecially in Acari region. Landslides are also reported. The services of the Civil Defense have already strated assessing the situation.

Update 17:33 UTC : Due to the increased Magnitude, the maximum MMI has also been increased to MMI VII = very strong shaking for the coastal part.Still no reason for us to expect major damage also because this part of the country has regular very strong subduction earthquakes.

this second Big Quake Make Me Chills..
edit on 25-9-2013 by cheesy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Authorities in Peru rushed to rescue miners reportedly trapped in copper pits on Wednesday after an earthquake shook the coast - causing landslides, injuries and possibly deaths in rural provinces, local officials said.

Officials in the southern Arequipa region said they were told that people died after collapses in make-shift copper mines, which operate largely outside of the law. A magnitude 7 quake, capable of widespread, heavy damage, struck near Peru's southern coast a few minutes before midday on Wednesday.
reply to post by cheesy

reuters

It says further in the link 'no' tsunami warning was issued.

Thanks cheesy for keeping us up to date.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

I am just seeing 1 7.0 quake today at 10:42 UTC. Are you saying another has happened? It is not showing up on the map for me yet. Or is this damage from the one earlier that initially reported no damage?

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Thanks for the update cheesy

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

its the same..Sory Sir

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

I saw a news report that said two but only find one on USGS. There was a sizable but smaller on in Chili in the last 24 hrs though.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   

cheesy
reply to post by Dianec

its the same..Sory Sir

No don't be sorry. I actually have felt confussion over this quake all day long. I felt my house sway today (saw it too) and actually got up to move to a safe spot yet the two people I asked didnt feel a thing (at their respective locations). I know what I felt but have no idea why (nowhere near Peru by the way). I think I've been sort of "off" since this experience. No neurological problems I'm aware of so who knows. Just have been searching for an explanation all day.

There have been an awful lot of big quakes lately. The average for 5-5.9 I believe is like 3 a day but we had 10 just a couple of days ago. Then Pakistan, Russia, and now this. It seems like a lot of strong movement in a short about if time. I always like reading your threads by the way.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

A lot of quakes. Yes...indeed. You could say that.

IRIS Seismic Monitor

....and only one area of the whole Pacific rim that doesn't have overlapping separate quakes almost too numerous to make out.

....I hope it's not the point in the plate system building pressure.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

liveandlearn
reply to post by Dianec

I saw a news report that said two but only find one on USGS. There was a sizable but smaller on in Chili in the last 24 hrs though.

yes this is geting odd..i just saw this..Something hot on cali..

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Dianec

cheesy
reply to post by Dianec

its the same..Sory Sir

No don't be sorry. I actually have felt confussion over this quake all day long. I felt my house sway today (saw it too) and actually got up to move to a safe spot yet the two people I asked didnt feel a thing (at their respective locations). I know what I felt but have no idea why (nowhere near Peru by the way). I think I've been sort of "off" since this experience. No neurological problems I'm aware of so who knows. Just have been searching for an explanation all day.

There have been an awful lot of big quakes lately. The average for 5-5.9 I believe is like 3 a day but we had 10 just a couple of days ago. Then Pakistan, Russia, and now this. It seems like a lot of strong movement in a short about if time. I always like reading your threads by the way.

Tq Sir, maybe you must check to doctor sir..have some vit c, eat fruit..

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Dianec

IRIS Seismic Monitor

....and only one area of the whole Pacific rim that doesn't have overlapping separate quakes almost too numerous to make out.

Tq for the link Mr.Wrabbit! i will keep my eye on your site..

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

thanks for the update cheesy.

s&f

uve really been on the ball.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Worth noting in passing that this earthquake is reported to have a depth of 40km (25mi) or 50km depending on different sources.
So, unlike the Pakistan quake a few days ago that had a depth of zero, the effects of this one on the surface wont be so bad.

Nor, should I add, is it coming up anywhere near as large on my seismometer compared to the pakistan quake.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

M5.4 - Reykjanes Ridge
2013-09-26 01:18:54 UTC

and this is just 4 minute after post this repply..Quite Big!

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Dianec

IRIS Seismic Monitor

Excellent visual link. I can better see that this place is the west coast of the US. And when I looked at a visual earlier (for the last 24 hours only), it looks as if the area from Washington to Wyoming is going to just bust apart (below). I cant get a 7 day uploaded on the little device I'm using but we all know what's been going on in just this area. Add to that all of the eastern California quakes and the picture is unprecidented IMO.

Thank you for your link. It is truly alarming. I wouldn't have seen the empty spot as easily without it.

b

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Yes California is getting hit hard with lots of little ones. In aug 2012 I remember almost panicking at the number of quakes (hundreds) in LA. I was in Northern California but I remember seeing this huge swarm. I'm not sure that has been explained to this day. I believe it is connected to what's happening now though. A prewarning maybe (they all are but last August especially). What the heck is going on? No solar activity and lots of quakes. Hmmm.

I will eat some fruit.
Never have been a big fruit person but maybe I need some to offset the late nights on ATS. My feeling something is probably better explained by something other than a jolt of the earth. My house is very old so maybe just settled or...I had a health related anomaly, which I'll be paying attention to if it happens again. Thank you.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I'm wondering if anyone here knows about where we are with number of quakes this year so far. I can't find any data on a cumulative total for 2013 but know they used to keep a running account - month by month. No longer can find. From what I am finding though....they have about doubled.

Worldwide - between 2010 - 2012 the highest number in a year was in 2008 with 32,000 (rounded up)
That is about 616 per week.

This week we have had 1,436 earthquakes worldwide (so far). If I try to download 7 days/all quakes on my ipad it has almost always had over a thousand. I don't try to do this often but when I do the numbers have been high.

It's interesting that 2008 was the last highest year of quakes (I believe 2013 will top it). I say that because in 2008 intense swarms began to rumble yellowstone and the same things were being said then that have been said the last couple of weeks. Robert Smith (univ of Utah) thought they were peculiar/puzzling - worth a closer look in 2008. He just made a smiliar statement about how the recent distinct swarms are odd - worth a better look. Two years later - in 2010 we saw a bigger swarm at yellowstone. There were also almost no sunspots in 2008. We just heard - there are almost no sunspots in 2013.

This year has a lot in common with 2008. I have more thoughts on this but wanted to see if anyone else would like to add, substantiate, or eliminate some of these connections.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
It's weird how there have been so many big quakes in the last few years, but never any big ones in the US except for the Aleutian islands (Alaska). We are way, way overdue for a serious quake here.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

I always enjoy your posts, cheesy!, here is the 2013 earthquake thread www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 26-9-2013 by research100 because: added link

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
S&F, This has been something Ive been really curious about as well. the increased seismic activity around the world. only time will tell I guess.

top topics

join