Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Chinese man has new nose grown on his FOREHEAD

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Now this has to be one of the oddest news stories that I have read this week, thus far anyway.

A man in China has had his new nose grown on his forehead ahead of transplant surgery.

The man, who has only been named as Xiaolian, had the treatment to create a replacement for his original nose which was infected and deformed. The procedure was carried out at a hospital in Fuzhou, Fujian province. The 22-year-old damaged his nose in a traffic accident in August 2012 but failed to seek treatment. As a result, an infection corroded the cartilage leaving the surgeons unable to repair it. They were left with no choice but to grow him a new nose and then to transplant it in place of his damaged one.
The nose was created by placing a skin tissue expander onto Xiaolian’s forehead. This was cut into the shape of a nose and was supported by cartilage taken from the man’s ribs. Surgeons say that the nose has developed well and that the transplant surgery will be carried out soon.

I think it is absolutely brilliant that he can get a new nose its amazing what they can do these days! but really could they not have picked a more inconspicuous part of his body to grow it on? I suppose maybe there is sound medical reasoning for putting it slap bang on his forehead instead of maybe the back of his neck or torso? still tho, good on em!

Link1
Link2
edit on 25-9-2013 by Lady_Tuatha because: (no reason given)
edit on 25-9-2013 by Lady_Tuatha because: add vid

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
A novel way of smelling his own hair. Cool.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
That was dangerous, if he got caught in a rain shower he could have drowned!
What possessed them to stick it on upside-down!

It's a good job he needed a nose transplant, could have been worse, could have been a penis
edit on 25-9-2013 by TheOutcast because: to do editing type stuff

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Lady_Tuatha
Now this has to be one of the oddest news stories that I have read this week, thus far anyway.

A man in China has had his new nose grown on his forehead ahead of transplant surgery.

The man, who has only been named as Xiaolian, had the treatment to create a replacement for his original nose which was infected and deformed. The procedure was carried out at a hospital in Fuzhou, Fujian province. The 22-year-old damaged his nose in a traffic accident in August 2012 but failed to seek treatment. As a result, an infection corroded the cartilage leaving the surgeons unable to repair it. They were left with no choice but to grow him a new nose and then to transplant it in place of his damaged one.
The nose was created by placing a skin tissue expander onto Xiaolian’s forehead. This was cut into the shape of a nose and was supported by cartilage taken from the man’s ribs. Surgeons say that the nose has developed well and that the transplant surgery will be carried out soon.

I think it is absolutely brilliant that he can get a new nose its amazing what they can do these days! but really could they not have picked a more inconspicuous part of his body to grow it on? I suppose maybe there is sound medical reasoning for putting it slap bang on his forehead instead of maybe the back of his neck or torso? still tho, good on em!

Link1
Link2
edit on 25-9-2013 by Lady_Tuatha because: (no reason given)

Why on his forehead? Maybe it's because skin on forehead is still face tissue which might be closer to the pores found on nose? After all, if you took skin from say on back the pores wouldn't match the skin on face(would be smaller). That's only thing I can think of.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I was hoping that this was some kind of awesome stem cell technology.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
This is strange. Reminds me of the year we live in now. I would think they would grow the tissue expander on another part of his body that isn't so exposed - then transplant the nose. I am glad the guy is alright though.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Brings a new meaning to the phrase "don't go sticking your nose there". At first I questioned the authenticity of the photos and whether this was a good photo edit but after examining the hair line and just the story in general I hope everything ends up dandy for the man.

Reminds me of a story though about a fake-nose invention that allows people privacy when eating boogers, but alas that is for a different thread.

edit on 25-9-2013 by MysteriousHusky because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

I wonder who's nose it is? I smell something fishy here!

edit on 25-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
And I thought I was a little two nosy. I feel normal now.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   

greencmp

I wonder who's nose it is? I smell something fishy here!

edit on 25-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

Look on the bright side. The donor was probably told that he was going to die but at least his nose would survive.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Now that is downright amazing for how is says they essentially made a new nose from scratch and used his own cartridge to support it. Just amazing what can be done with technology now.

China is also going into areas and in directions many nations in the West just won't go to get to end results. It may produce some very interesting advancements in time. This one opens all kinds of possibilities though, doesn't it?

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Star and Flag but...EWWWWWW!

It is cool though!

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
Now that is downright amazing for how is says they essentially made a new nose from scratch and used his own cartridge to support it. Just amazing what can be done with technology now.

China is also going into areas and in directions many nations in the West just won't go to get to end results. It may produce some very interesting advancements in time. This one opens all kinds of possibilities though, doesn't it?

The west has too many regulations based on conflicts of interest. Here the focus of new medical technology is to create chronic diseases, cures don't make enough money. In the current system, the man who most popularly "discovered" penicillin wouldn't have had the ability or means to push it through the FDA and it's ridiculous system.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
lol.

I just .....lol.

Y .

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

How absolutely amazing and so bizarre all at the same time! Maybe they choose his forehead because of the firm solid background of his skull? In any case so glad this guy is going to get a nice new nose!

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Lady_Tuatha

Well I guess they've been wrong all along, you CAN pick your friends nose.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   

"We like to use similar tissues to reconstruct organs within the same area," Cangello said.
The forehead is also enervated with blood vessels that nourish the tissue transplant, so the surgeons don't have to disconnect and reconnect those vessels to place the nose in its correct position. If the doctors were to grow the nose on a forearm or a leg, for instance, they would have to undertake a laborious microsurgery to take the blood vessels that feed and drain the transplant.

So that's why they use the forehead,

link

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   

they take the graft from his forehead because it is less likely to be rejected than a graft from
elsewhere on his body .

they can keep the blood supply connected until the graft takes hold and can support it's self .

edit on 26-9-2013 by tom.farnhill because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I really pity him if he gets a bad head cold.
The way his "top" nose is orientated means he could possibly face drowning in his own snot.
Saying that, he could sneeze on people behind him without them knowing

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Is it only for "looks"? lo how doe she breathe from it... there is no way there is a tube behind his forehead.. going to his windpipe.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join