It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Create Never-Before-Seen Form of Matter

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
The writer of the article got it wrong. Photons didn't form molecules and they still don't have mass. They 'tricked' them this way so they behave like they do have mass and they are interacting with each other and form bonds.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Bob Sholtz

photons do not have mass, and newton's laws of motion fall apart if you try to plug in photons.

Incorrect....

Although photons do not contain rest mass... they do however have potential mass more commonly known as relativistic mass...

Please refer to my previous post on relativistic mass!

Peace,

Korg.

edit on 27-9-2013 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Harte
I understood it quite well. In fact, I already explained it in much the same way which, unfortunately, is an indication that your explanation too will be ignored.

It seems that some posters "love science" but immediately obtain feet of clay when faced with having to read and comprehend science.

Harte

What I find strange is when you have taken the trouble to post something where the Math is not so straight forward, and put it in a way that most could understand.... it still gets brushed over....

It is very telling of the audience quality, I believe.

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by sparrowstail

My first thought was Rimmer's hard-light drive from Red Dwarf

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Michio Kaku, once again you've been outed. You said over and over that this was purely theoretical by some but nonsense none the less. Now, accept reality and build me a lightsaber please
Make the saber pink so when I do away my enemies, they can feel worse knowing it was by a pink light saber. Dishonor in so many ways

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

new_here
reply to post by canucks555

Something tells me they ought not do this. I can't explain why I feel this way, because I don't understand it myself. But something made my blood run cold reading that clip you posted.

I don't know enough about it to even formulate a decent argument it. Does anybody out there understand how I feel?

"It's human nature to fear what you don't understand.".. every xmen writer...ever. lol

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

Frequency is a measure of mass and velocity. Don't you understand?

i'm sorry, but it is not.

frequency is a rate at which an event happens, such as the oscillation of a wave.

To assume light has no mass is to assume it is nothing.

this is incorrect.

Frequency is a measure of something... frequency is not an object.

i never claimed frequency was an object.

you should have a look at the link i posted.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
hi,i'm new here,i'm more one for hiding out in the paranormal pages.I love quantum physics though,as it's the only thing that explains my surreal life.I really hate to say this,esp on my first posts,but I've been searching for answers,rational or not so.to all the strange things I see,and photograph.
I'm posting as years back,i took a photo exactly as pictured in this science article.strangely enough about 10 years back,when my physicist brother gave me all his books.
I'm not great with tech.i can't figure out how to put up just 1 picture from album.and I don't want to get banned for putting in a link.
if i'm allowed to,i will put them up,or tell anyone interested where to look,as at the moment I seem to be chasing my tail,any answer I get just means 10 more questions.
love this site,am slowly finding my way about.thanks for having me!

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

Although photons do not contain rest mass... they do however have potential mass more commonly known as relativistic mass

i was referring to rest mass. mc^2=e=hf is what you're referring to i believe. i should have been more specific.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

canucks555

Working with colleagues at the Harvard-MIT Center for Ultracold Atoms, a group led by Harvard Professor of Physics Mikhail Lukin and MIT Professor of Physics Vladan Vuletic have managed to coax photons into binding together to form molecules -- a state of matter that, until recently, had been purely theoretical. The work is described in a September 25 paper in Nature. The discovery, Lukin said, runs contrary to decades of accepted wisdom about the nature of light. Photons have long been described as massless particles which don't interact with each other -- shine two laser beams at each other, he said, and they simply pass through one another.

www.sciencedaily.com...

Well that changes things a bit. I wonder what astounding things they can come up with in the next while using this kind of technology..

edit on 25-9-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

Nature of light !! is awesome, if some knew about the healing and repair process of light ..
on the Human Body ...

well I guess George Lucas would argue !!
but then again Laser Light !! hmm well just maybe the Same Color that does

as it Seams We our on our way to Civilization Type 1 Huh Folks ! ?

We are The Gods Now ++++ well kinda sorta with BIO Mechanics & Engineering
WE Are Right !!

Though we still cant RE RE RE Build or Improve something that went to the moon over 40 years ago
Go Figure!!!!! Hell as it Look we Humans have too Back Engineer our own S++T

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by gikari

That would be interesting. If nothing else a lightsaber would be pretty sweet to have. Complete with whooshing noise

hahaha .. wanna bet who's playing more with swords when this thing launched at the local toyshop, the Dad or the kid??

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolfenz

Though we still cant RE RE RE Build or Improve something that went to the moon over 40 years ago
Are you talking about the Saturn 5 rocket? (I think I read somewhere they lost the plans for it or something.) My Uncle Fred worked on that thing! Unfortunately he's dead now, so he can't help them out.

To topic: This is a great thread OP- mind-expanding via digesting all the info/speculations/debate material from our MOTATSSPC (Members of the ATS Smarty-Pants Club)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Did their theory that lead them to this come maybe from somewhere other than their own learning.

most excellent question~!

A question that has always haunted me in the back of my mind.. everyone fears the Nephilim will return but, fail to realize they were just the product, not the minds behind the science

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
A question I have is..

'Can light be 'trapped'...apparently it can be ..

Physicists trap light in a bottle

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

They will do what they always do turn it into some kind of weapon.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by RAY1990

The observer effect. Ya, but I dont know man! Going a bit philosophical, but what if 2 photons go through a gas clouds of Large Magellanic Cloud some 163,000 light-years away from here. Do they form a bond? Or how about this what if a trillions or gazillion of them were going through those clouds right this very moment? What then? Or better yet. Would anybody be there to witness it? Maybe it would all be a non event. But even if somebody was observing it all. Would anybody care?

Now what if I, or somebody, or something, or some event happened, like a world devastating meteor would eliminate every human on this planet, one day out of the blue, poof! just like that, none of us would exist anymore. Well then the question may be! Would our universe cease to exist with us? The answer is that its highly likely that the universe as we know it will cease existing as far as we know it. After all without somebody or something to observe it, how and why would anything exist? Can you think of anything at all existing without it first being in relation to something else, even if its an observer?

Because its all in moment by moment just interpretations of perceptions and of constant and ever moving energies all around us, human beings are just walking talking transmitters and receptors of the very energies/worlds around them. So yes its just like moving pictures and patterns being transmitted constantly giving the illusion of moving, not that much different in concept then movies or those flip drawing books with the walking stick figures. If you think about it, data or the code which lets us use computers and chat on this site or watch YouTube videos is all flat 2d almost conceptual like ethereal thing, yet it and over all it can generate the illusions of 3d space and lots of other things allowing you to read things on this site and watch YouTube vids.

Isn't that how cameras work anyways when you take a picture? All they do is catch the photons/light bouncing off us and all our surroundings constantly, and a video is merely the same thing only a whole bunch of those captured pictures all in synch giving the illusion of motion. That motion the whole totality of it is a wavelength which the brain picks up, then processes it, and then it is interpreted by the mind into the things you see and hear as well as all other senses you would have.

edit on 27-9-2013 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by new_here

Just out of curiosity, what was the last scientific advance you didn't feel this way about?

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Astyanax
reply to post by new_here

Just out of curiosity, what was the last scientific advance you didn't feel this way about?

What was the one just before this one? Oh just name them all... there are a handful I'm not lovin'

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Hart you and Korg provided great information, although to me I think it still would be theoretically possible for some kind of construction made completely out of Photons to travel at light speed taking that into account.

For instance using that mirror analogy, lets say sometime far in the future we are able to make some kind of photonic probe. Rest mass would of course be nothing, however wouldn't a photonic construct be more able to interact with other forms of light? For instance, would we be able to make some kind of powerful laser beam and have the photon probe kind of ride the laser beam and possibly reach a speed of light, or extemely close. I'm not sure if individual photons bundled together into some form of matter would increase relativistic mass when put in motion. Although if they actually have some kind of mass (on some level we are currently incapable of measuring) then this would not hold up at all but if all of them them start with a rest mass of 0 then bundled would be the same.

With a rest mass of 0 like other forms of light I would think it would be at least possible for it to move the speed of light.

Anyways just a possible idea, not sure how strong this possible new matter would react with other forms of light or if it would be possible but it is fun to think of future advances that might be able to come from this.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

new_here
reply to post by Wolfenz

Are you talking about the Saturn 5 rocket? (I think I read somewhere they lost the plans for it or something.) My Uncle Fred worked on that thing! Unfortunately he's dead now, so he can't help them out.

To topic: This is a great thread OP- mind-expanding via digesting all the info/speculations/debate material from our MOTATSSPC (Members of the ATS Smarty-Pants Club)

no the contractors subcontractors had all the schematics and blue prints NASA didnt have Copies LOL

as they claim !!! yet all the Contractors dont exist anymore well except the Rand Corporation

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join