It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Box" .. a new short film , prepare to be amazed !

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
So has anyone here ever ridden on a Robocoaster?

It looks like HUGE fun...

The KUKA Robocoaster:

"Back in the summer of 2006, we were using an ABB IRB 6600 robot (225 kg payload) for a project. In between the time that we took delivery of the robot, and the time that we finished the tooling for the robot, we purchased a racing seat and 5-point harness. Our welder fabricated a seat mount and adapter plate to the robot's J6 flange. Over the course of the next few evenings, we made various programs for the manipulator, swinging the seat wildly around and taking turns going for rides. One of the highlights of my career!
Please don't try this in your own shop - the safety risk in doing something like this is obviously quite high, even with the soft and hard limits of the robot adjusted for maximum protection. Industrial robots are simply not suited for interaction like this with people! Only one company has produced such a robot - KUKA - and it's only through heavy modifications that the German technical safety authority (TUV) has certified it for carrying passengers."

edit on 26-9-2013 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Alundra

Now that's what I call a nice set of computer monitors!

And here I'm stuck with this crappy 23" LED.

The Rat.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   

abeverage
Whoa...exactly how much of that was real I wonder?

S&F

That depends on your definition of real. I posted in the youtube comments how it's done since making something like that falls within my skillset, though I had never thought of actually making something like that.

It involves a couple of projection screens attached to robotic arms. There's 1 projector for each screen (guess on my part) also attached to some robots capable of moving the projectors with a stationary camera recording it all. Locations of the screens are then choreographed so that the projectors are always aimed correctly at the screens.

Once you have that done, it's just a matter of creating some 2d animations of appropriate length using value to convey depth, probably done with a mix of flash and photoshop though it could have been other software.

Other than that, it's just a matter of getting access to the robots for a couple of hours to put the final composition together. The choreographing to create animation data for the robots could be done far in advance using 3d modeling software. Reading up on their website though it sounds like they own the robots, so you wouldn't have to simulate them to create animation data.
edit on 27-9-2013 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Very impressive film.

It also shows one of the persisting problems associated with perfecting the projection of holographic images, that is the lack of a perfectly free, undetectable and manipulable surface upon which to project them.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Aazadan

abeverage
Whoa...exactly how much of that was real I wonder?

S&F

That depends on your definition of real. I posted in the youtube comments how it's done since making something like that falls within my skillset, though I had never thought of actually making something like that.

It involves a couple of projection screens attached to robotic arms. There's 1 projector for each screen (guess on my part) also attached to some robots capable of moving the projectors with a stationary camera recording it all. Locations of the screens are then choreographed so that the projectors are always aimed correctly at the screens.

Once you have that done, it's just a matter of creating some 2d animations of appropriate length using value to convey depth, probably done with a mix of flash and photoshop though it could have been other software.

Other than that, it's just a matter of getting access to the robots for a couple of hours to put the final composition together. The choreographing to create animation data for the robots could be done far in advance using 3d modeling software. Reading up on their website though it sounds like they own the robots, so you wouldn't have to simulate them to create animation data.
edit on 27-9-2013 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

Or my definition of what "is" is?
LOL
I had my doubts the Robots were real until I visited their studio page! Fascinating stuff!
I am computer graphics hobbyist here is my gallery, so I had a pretty good idea, but thanks for the info

edit on 27-9-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

No cheesy ,
It's not ISON !

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Alundra

Don't know why, but I had to go to youtube to watch it in it's entirety. It kept freezing up at about 1 minute when I tried to watch by clicking on the embedded video. Just the same, it was truly amazing!

Great find! F&S for the Op!
Thanks for posting.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

Thanks for those videos , looks like lots of fun

But don't go in there when you had a few beers or just ate a large pizza or something

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

wow ! You have some amazing art there on deviant

I especially like the "Big Fish in a little bowl" and "Darkness Falls" .. great great work !
Why don't you showcase some of them here on ATS if you haven't done already ? I'm sure many here will like (to see) it

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I would hate to know what TPTB could do with these skills.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Tsu322

Oh boy, that's a scary thought

Project Blue Beam 2.0 ?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
These look great in videos but the projection is not 3D its a flat 2D projection on the panels so in the shots where it looks like a box, the box wouldn't have depth you could look into...
edit on 27-9-2013 by roughycannon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Alundra

Wonderful. Our perception of space and reality Will be more and more virtual and relative with innovations like this. It's thought provoking

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Tsu322
I would hate to know what TPTB could do with these skills.

Ooh probably watch a movie, or something.

As great as it is, it's not going to fool you in real life.

Seriously, trust me.... this is not holographic magic. Unless you only have one eye, you will know it's not 3D.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Alundra

"Box" explores the synthesis of real and digital space through projection-mapping on moving surfaces. The short film documents a live performance, captured entirely in camera. Bot & Dolly produced this work to serve as both an artistic statement and technical demonstration. It is the culmination of multiple technologies, including large scale robotics, projection mapping, and software engineering. We believe this methodology has tremendous potential to radically transform theatrical presentations, and define new genres of expression.

www.botndolly.com...

It's one of the most amazing videos I have seen in a long time, This one needs to be shared with the great ATS community !!

I hope you'll enjoy it as much as i did.. Best viewed in a darkened room for maximum effect

Regards, Alundra
edit on 25-9-2013 by Alundra because: (no reason given)

That was amazing.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Alundra

That is one of the coolest things ever! Thanks for posting this!

S&F

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Wow! That's really cool. Thanks for sharing!

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I don't appreciate the excitement, what am I missing?

Couple robot arms from local ford plant..

One or two flat screens...

Some animation..

Nice presentation but......guess its just me, lol

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
It moved me, artistic expression in our time. Curious to know where the creators are from ? Good stuff.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
My wife is a tech geek and will love this. Me on the other hand tries to find the magic in the natural world we already share that is not exclusive to technology or beholden to any type of monetary influence. Where is the human element?
I much prefer work done by human hands and eyes.
Typing lines of code will never qualify as art to me.
No offense OP but I consider these types of display an inducement to love the machine.
More and more work by human hands is being rejected in preference to digital media.
Already we don't need actors, artists or musicians. There's a machine and a program to replace each one.
edit on 5-10-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join