It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Southern Ontario, Prozac and painkillers found in tap water

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
What I don�t understand is how thes drugs end up in the water? Are pharmaceutical companies just dumping these drugs in the water or is it that so many people are on these drugs and are peeing in the water

Prozac and painkillers found in tap water
Drinking water contains traces of nine drugs, new study finds
Sarah Staples
CanWest News Service

Saturday, November 13, 2004
The federal government's first study of pharmaceuticals in drinking water will confirm traces of common painkillers, anti-cholesterol drugs and the antidepressant Prozac are ending up in the treated water that Canadians drink, CanWest News Service has learned
A study by researchers from the National Water Research Institute for Health and Environment Canada, designed to gauge how efficiently plants removed traces of drugs from drinking water, found nine different drugs in water samples taken near 20 drinking water treatment plants across southern Ontario.
The drugs were mainly from Link

[edit on 14/11/2004 by Sauron]

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron
What I don�t understand is how thes drugs end up in the water? Are pharmaceutical companies just dumping these drugs in the water or is that so many people are on these drugs and are peeing in the water

The answer - both and more. ...The first reports started coming out in 2000, from Europe. Follow up studies have been done around the world, but receive little press.

The problem of 'drugs in the water' is global and far-reaching - virtually every drug in existence goes into reservoirs, rivers, then the ocean and back into our tapwater.

One known effect is that common infectious microbes in the water come in contact with antibiotics and anti-virals, develop resistance and mutate into "super-bugs" that can't be treated or cured...

Oooops. ...The solution is to use nano-filters to clean wastewater BEFORE it leaves the containment system and enters the waterways. But hey, it's expensive. ...and it's easy to blame bioterrorists for the problem.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Were these "traces" of drugs or actual chemically active forms of these medications?

Traces left by recycling treated water make sense... if it's in your pee then it's in your water. Actual active forms of these drugs, however, is a different matter if ingestion might actually cause a water drinker to have a physical effect from the drug.

One thing I didn't realize until working in a place where I routinely ask patients what medications they have taken is how widespread perscription drug use is. It's rare that I see someone who has taken no medications in the past month, and I'm dealing with specifically healthy people only. If they are over 40, I can almost guarantee they are taking a cholesterol lowering drug and a drug for high blood pressure. A good quarter of them are also on a medication for depression and anxiety. I'd love to see a similar study done on US tap water in metro areas.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedBalloon
Were these "traces" of drugs or actual chemically active forms of these medications?

...It's a real soup - active, traces, all new compounds formed on contact, you name it.

Here are just a few more links:

Stay calm everyone, there's Prozac in the drinking water
observer.guardian.co.uk...

Report: Nuclear sites put drinking water sources at risk
www.usatoday.com...

Clean Water Report
static.highbeam.com...

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   
This topic sounded familiar, so I looked back for related posts. I found these that report similar situations in the UK:
From ATSNN: SCI/TECH: Prozac 'found in drinking water'

Other threads: ATS Search Results

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Jeez. People in the USA can't get these drugs from the local doctor. Canada has it in the water? WOW. Please somebody tell me why there was a post about the US invading and taking over Canada because of the water??? But then if we could rid the states of all the druggies...we prolly would'nt be worried about water. The cottonmouth druggies would be gone

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 03:54 AM
link   
but but but,,,,,conspiracies aren't real
Its just benign wreckless man that needs to be more obedient to man.

An illusion it will be, so large, so vast it will escape their perception.

Those who will see it will be thought of as insane.

We will create separate fronts to prevent them from seeing the connection between us.

We will behave as if we are not connected to keep the illusion alive.

Our goal will be accomplished one drop at a time so as to never bring suspicion upon ourselves.

This will also prevent them from seeing the changes as they occur.

We will always stand above the relative field of their experience for we know the secrets of the absolute.

We will work together always and will remain bound by blood and secrecy.

Death will come to he who speaks.

We will keep their lifespan short and their minds weak while pretending to do the opposite.

We will use our knowledge of science and technology in subtle ways so they will never see what is happening.

We will use soft metals, aging accelerators and sedatives in food and water, also in the air.

They will be blanketed by poisons everywhere they turn.

The soft metals will cause them to lose their minds.

We will promise to find a cure from our many fronts, yet we will feed them more poison.

watchthesky.org...

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 06:45 AM
link   
the water in ontario is very poluted.it has not changed for years.since walkerton it was not a spoken issue.now the world alittle more intersted in the water supply.but one problem the water supply has always been bad since the use of the automoblie 1900s.carbons that are been burn for the last 100 years have filted there way threw the system.the drugs that get flushed down the toilet dont filter threw either.they will never tell you this but hey the proof there.test your local water supply next time you will wish you did not lol flukemol.......

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by krt1967
Jeez. People in the USA can't get these drugs from the local doctor. Canada has it in the water? WOW. Please somebody tell me why there was a post about the US invading and taking over Canada because of the water???

But seriously - prescription drugs - plus pesticides, weird chemicals, radiation, infectious microbes and more - contaminate water sources around the world. The USA is not immune, and it is a BIG problem.

The "Water Safety" crisis has 2 parts - availability, and contamination.

Fact #1 - fresh water sources are drying up fast, in the USA and elsewhere.
Fact #2 - available water is already badly contaminated, resulting in chronic health problems and weird new disease mutations.

For more info check out the links at:
www.atsnn.com...

top topics

join