It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 Civilization types, By Dr. Michio Kaku

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Current status of human civilization

Human civilization is currently somewhere below Type I, as it is able to harness only a portion of the energy that is available on Earth. The current state of human civilization has thus been named Type 0. Although intermediate values were not discussed in Kardashev's original proposal, Carl Sagan argued that they could easily be defined by interpolating and extrapolating the values given above. In 1973, he calculated humanity's civilization type to be 0.7, in relationship to Kardashev's model for Types 0 and I.

Type 0 Civilization
Essentially, our civilization. A type 0 civilization has only just begun to tap planetary resources such as solar power, geothermal power and wind power. Most of its power generation is still based on non-renewable fossil fuel resources, for example, oil, coal and natural gases.

Type 1 civilization
These civilizations can effectively control the entire resources of their planet; they can predict weather patterns and earthquakes very accurately, and even control them using artificially induced greenhouse effects or space-based lasers. A Type 1 Civilization could conceivably halt an ice-age.

Type 2 Civilization
Type 2 Civilizations have extended their power to their entire Solar System by harnessing the power of their suns through Dyson spheres. Having colonized or at least extensively explored all the planets within their Solar System, they are a largely space-faring race and have already mounted expeditions to other stars using interstellar craft.

Type 3 Civilization
At the cusp of their power, type 3 civilizations span entire galaxies having colonized all the stars by wave after wave of interstellar craft. They can harness the power of galaxies. Astrophysicists theorize that this may be done by exploiting the fact that black holes can be used as a source of energy as they slowly evaporate via Hawking radiation. By utilizing the millions of black holes that are believed to reside within galactic nuclei, type 3 civilizations would have sufficient power to conduct truly universe-changing high-energy physics experiments and examine matter down to the Planck length.

At this point, the exact potential of type 3 civilizations becomes unclear due to our hazy knowledge of ultrahigh-energy physics. It is conceivable (as physicists such as Michio Kaku and Lawrence Krauss believe) that such energies could unravel matter down to the super-string length and thus possibly access other dimensions. However, we must stress that this is only informed conjecture and frankly we'll never know what type 3 civilizations will be able to do until we either become one or encounter one.

Thanks to ScotCWaring.

Its gonna take ages to be of Type 3 Civilization.I hope in my next birth I will be an alien

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by HiddenSecrets

I don't see Type 1 happening anytime soon, first we need to be united for that to happen.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Its 23:56 in India and I am laughing on the floor.Its not possible to be united, even I bet there is a race to find aliens first.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I LOVE Dr. Kaku. More times than not when he's brought up on here he's dismissed as a shill for the NWO, but the man is blazingly intelligent.

Theoretical physics may be a bit out of my reach, but IMO Kaku is the 'Einstein of our age.'

I love his classification on the types of civilizations. If you guys like his stuff, get on youtube and look up a channel named "Big Think." Bill Nye has a couple of vlogs, same as Kaku as well as a plethora of other scientists in nearly every field.

I'd link it but I'm getting ready to head out to work. Cool thread OP, this stuff is what brought me to ATS to begin with.

S&F

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
hmm... I counted 4 civilization types... 0-1-2-3...

Indeed, we are a bit away from type 1 civilization, sadly.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
But it is interesting to see the possible advancements we could see in the future in a nice category. I also wonder if we would evolve technologically.. maybe we will find a type of energy that would be used... physically or biologically.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by RomeByFire

Yes "Big think" is one of the best channels I've ever seen.This Einstein is also impressing me, lets see what this man will do in future...we can just hope.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Type 3 Civilization
At the cusp of their power, type 3 civilizations span entire galaxies having colonized all the stars by wave after wave of interstellar craft. They can harness the power of galaxies. Astrophysicists theorize that this may be done by exploiting the fact that black holes can be used as a source of energy as they slowly evaporate via Hawking radiation. By utilizing the millions of black holes that are believed to reside within galactic nuclei, type 3 civilizations would have sufficient power to conduct truly universe-changing high-energy physics experiments and examine matter down to the Planck length.

We're already reached?

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I assert that we are below 0.5. Why?

Because not only are we reliant on non-renewable resources, we don't even know what the limits are. When science tries to actually form up a model showing limits, theists arrive to deny it all and defer back to divine intervention.

IMO, the human species isn't even at the velocity to get above 0.5 and will likely go extinct.
cheers

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

I would add a fourth type of civilisation.

Type -1

A civilisation that makes it to type 0 and then goes rapidly downwards because of stupidity, apathy and greed.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
We'll blow each other up or destroy our environment before ever achieving type one.

I think this idea gives too much power to the sciences, after all they created our abilities to destroy on a big time basis. The misuse of the sciences can't actually be directly blamed on sciences though, science is just a tool. A tool in the wrong hands becomes a weapon though.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
There's a factor of technological advancement.
The question is are we as a species capable to overcome crisis which comes along with advanced technology, or are we going to destroy ourselves?
From this point in time, all breaktgroughs in technology goes to military purposes leaving no room for progress in other more important fields.
My bet: by the year 2100, we will be brought to stone ages, Civilization type: -1

Sorry, but that's the reality.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

I am only 15 If I will be alive that time then I will be finding you to prove you wrong

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

I think there might be a type 4!

top topics

join