It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATF 'Misplaced' 420 Million Cigarettes in Stings - A Little Comic Relief

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Honestly, why would anyone mistrust our government agents? It's not like they blatantly violate nearly every known law which they are charged with enforcing, misappropriate funds and resell confiscated goods for department expenses and/or personal profit subverting the intention of the very regulations that were enacted, right?

Wait... what?

US: ATF misplaced 420 million cigarettes in stings

This almost doesn't even merit attention, it is so ho-hum compared to every other transgression.

Really, this is just a little comic relief, enjoy!

WASHINGTON –  The Justice Department's internal watchdog says the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives mounted dozens of undercover investigations into illicit cigarette sales without proper approval. 

It says the agency misused some of $162 million in profits from the stings -- including overpaying an informant by millions of dollars -- and lost track of at least 420 million cigarettes.

The ATF's new director, B. Todd Jones, said the audit covered only selected ATF investigations between 2006 and 2011, and that the agency had tightened its internal guidelines since then.

The report cited a widespread lack of ATF oversight in the agency's use of "churning investigations," undercover operations using proceeds from illicit cigarette sales to pay for ATF expenses.

edit on 25-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

The report cited a widespread lack of ATF oversight in the agency's use of "churning investigations," undercover operations using proceeds from illicit cigarette sales to pay for ATF expenses.

Hahaha. That can't be true, "lack of oversight... in the ATF?" No way, not possible.

ATF: Where's my guns?
Informant: What guns?

ATF: OK then, where's my cigarettes?
Informant: What cigarettes? *puff* *puff*

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Could this be them?

Honestly..........they misplaced them? OK then.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
You cant tell me the agents werent complicicit.
The corruption is inevitable when theres no oversight............

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Okay, they misplaced them. I'll buy that...

....as soon as they answer by just a number (to start) how many agents in the cases those cigs were "misplaced from" are smokers themselves?

Sounds to me like they pulled quite a little fringe benefit from being with the agency charged with enforcing tobacco laws. They got theirs free? Nice...I'm sure that only cost us $20 a pack or more. It's Uncle after all, nothing ...even stolen stuff...comes cheap to the taxpayer.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

I just dont understand how you can misplace 2,100,000 Cartons of cigarettes?? I mean... that alot. to just... misplace...

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Britx

more of our money up in smoke

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Britx

2.1 million cartons at 4-6 cartons a month divided by how many smokers carrying ATF badges?

I can see very easily how they get lost...right down their lungs. Every last one. I think there are even laws against that? Oh, but Fast and Furious taught the ATF they don't have to worry about petty little things like laws. Their boss has the ultimate get out of jail free card upon request. Just demand executive privilege....and any wrongdoing that might impact the whole agency? Well...it'll just blow away like a fart in a windstorm.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Yet one more bit of evidence to show just how far out of touch and uncontrolled out government is.
This is just one agency. Is it even remotely possible that this kind of thing might happen in another agency, but just not get reported?

I think it's time to flush the system and rebuild it with people who actually know what the real world is like.

These flucktards just don't know.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Bassago

Hahaha. That can't be true, "lack of oversight... in the ATF?" No way, not possible.

ATF: Where's my guns?
Informant: What guns?

ATF: OK then, where's my cigarettes?
Informant: What cigarettes? *puff* *puff*

I think it is clever that one could interpret this statement to be an admission of either the use of confiscated currency or, if you take it literally in the context that it is presented, to mean that the agents conducted the illegal sales and reaped the proceeds.

Perhaps this is more evidence of the use of guileful acknowledgement of wrongdoing?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
420 thats an ironic number for them to lose

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

PhoenixOD
420 thats an ironic number for them to lose

Yeah, I thought of that but couldn't work it into the post. Thanks for finding a way to get it in there!

top topics

join