It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does a child learn the word...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I was thinking about my niece and how growing up with each other in our lives has taught us so much. Anyway, she's been home schooling with her grandmother and I happened to be there for the session and listening to them speak among themselves. I started day dreaming about proper ways to teach a child words when I stumbled upon my question. How do kids learn the word "why"? I am sitting here in thought and I have a few ideas but I am not sure if it's a word we can teach intentionally. Rather, I feel it is a word a child has to interrupt for the child's self. I am just curious what you guys think about it. I'll sit here in thought till I see some replies.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Good question

And you are of course correct the child must interpret it for his/her self,

I think in my kids cases it was from their mother and I using it to query each other. Then querying them on subjects, I tried very hard not to use the "because I said so" approach because as a kid I felt it a very unfair answer and, why, generally led to a blanket statement.

So my kids learned to understand why as a positive word and expect an honest answer.

I guess to me as a kid, why, had negative connotations as that was what I was taught, I'm glad my kids see it as the opposite.

Cody

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
The child learns the word because he/she will bodily show you that he/she wonders about aspects and mechanics of a given thing.

Your reaction will be something like; " You wanna know WHY this is like that? "

Rinse and repeat and then the kid knows that whys and similar words are used for inquiries.

I saw that happen 3 times with my own kids.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Repetition, I would assume. I don't have kids myself but from watching my nieces/nephews/cousins grow up, you can see them developing ideas and thoughts well before the mouth can pronounce. Nevertheless, it is amazing how the little ones can pick up on language so easily, even before they can walk or properly reason!

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Antipathy17

What an interesting question! They all seem to use that word a lot when they first begin conversing. I don't know HOW they learn it, but what popped into my head about its prolific use among little ones, is the natural urge to reason out the meaning of experience. I feel certain that the question of 'why?' exists in the child's psyche, before the child learns the word to express this 'need to know.'

I'm gonna guess that the urge to 'know' is so strong, that the child's mind is ever open to latch on to a way to express this. So when the opportunity to learn this word presents itself, it is happily snatched up and put to use. A lot. Some kids make a game of it, 'why-ing' their way into silencing the adult who is fraught with confusion or frustration!

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

I think this is a great answer to the question.

I grew up thinking the word had negative connoctations too.Even now when I ask why I feel as if I am being disrespectful, no matter who I am talking to.

The world outside my home environment taught me that it is not only OK to be able to ask why but imperative at times.

Now my world revolves around the word and I am happy with that. It's pretty hard to be a truth seeker without that one little word!

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Why is the simplest shortest word you can put in front of anything and it basically means "explain this"

I used a TONNE of why when i was a kid and i wouldn't be me if i hadn't of learned it when i did!

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
The word "why" is just a symbol for the concept.

And the concept of "why" is the most innately human thing there is. It is what allows us to dream. And why you said you will sit in contemplation waiting to hear the responses

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Good discussion guys. I do believe that children are asking why to themselves without ever calling it that. Why simplifies the thought for them. I do wonder how our language also restricts children from growing up to be who they are. Also the interpretation of the word why probably varies from child to child until they've established enough what the word means to the society they interact with most. It's a great word and at the same time I feel shame when I say that. We all know by now the manipulation that we've gone through our whole live isn't calculable to us with the knowledge we have. I also have curiosity on how we've been limited to language. Like a lollipop, the world may never know.
edit on 26-9-2013 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

I still love this thread.

top topics

join