It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ANOTHER child killed by pit bulls.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Chrisfishenstein
reply to post by buster2010

I disagree with the other part of your post....You don't only have one thought in there!

Pitbulls are not a "fighter" breed.....They were found to be vicious when put to the test and people TRAIN them to fight....Not the other way around

They weren't born to fight and trained not to.....

I suggest you actually look into the history of the breed.

The Truth About Pit Bulls

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Zaphod58
I'm the proud owner of an almost year old Pit. We still have some work to do, but we're getting there. I've watched this dog get so excited to meet people that he's literally choked himself unconscious for a second or two (he's fallen over twitching). He goes nuts if you stand outside and talk to me, and ignore him. Pits are at times the smartest dog I have ever seen (I can prove he understands almost everything I say to him), and at times the dumbest thing I have ever seen (he does things that make us think he would forget to breathe if he could sometimes).

This has been my experience also. She gets herself into trouble more than anything else because she can't control her excitement when guests come over. She hops, jumps, spins, dances and otherwise do the jig just to get you to pet her. She is of course still a puppy and that has a lot to do with it of course but yes the quote above has been my current experience with my pup.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

buster2010 just posted a helpful link about it.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Rosinitiate

Zaphod58
I'm the proud owner of an almost year old Pit. We still have some work to do, but we're getting there. I've watched this dog get so excited to meet people that he's literally choked himself unconscious for a second or two (he's fallen over twitching). He goes nuts if you stand outside and talk to me, and ignore him. Pits are at times the smartest dog I have ever seen (I can prove he understands almost everything I say to him), and at times the dumbest thing I have ever seen (he does things that make us think he would forget to breathe if he could sometimes).

This has been my experience also. She gets herself into trouble more than anything else because she can't control her excitement when guests come over. She hops, jumps, spins, dances and otherwise do the jig just to get you to pet her. She is of course still a puppy and that has a lot to do with it of course but yes the quote above has been my current experience with my pup.

It's the same way with my childhood friend's Pit. The one thing he doesn't do is jump up onto you when super excited, but other than that it's the same "dance" as yours when excited to see you. Quite adorable, to be honest.

Though, not all dogs are the same in that.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Rosinitiate

Your first point about Capone. Well Capone had papers and the owner wanted to breed it for the value if nothing else. It should be noted that Capone was an awesome dog and I cried when it was put down. His issue was dogs and children and if given an opportunity would attack and kill in a heartbeat.

OMG!!! Papers or not that dog should have been put down as soon as the issues were known.
That is exactly the type of dog that I was addressing in my post. The good looking dog that snaps and attacks innocent people/pets.

I have the same issue about people overlooking a better non papered horse over an inferior horse with papers. Which may or not be real. How do you know that the papers that the person was waving and claiming they were to 'Capone' were actually his? I can tell you about stockyards that keep papers of deadstock and when livestock comes through that fits the markings that someone is interested in in they have no scruples about pulling out papers and switching identities on the animal
edit on 25-9-2013 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
it took some searching but this is what a person 'should' do when they find themselves in the care of an animal wired wrong.

The short version is that the person tried multiple trainers spent 8 times more than the animal would ever sell for and in the end donated to a vet college to find out why the animal was so dangerous.

www.chronofhorse.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Too many family dogs have turned on children and mauled or killed that child. I don't care how much one loves his pet or how much they 'think' they can trust him, bad things happen and especially in certain breeds.

Too often it was the person saying they raised their dog right and their dog was so sweet and gentle when a child or another animal was ripped apart unprovoked by that same dog.

I adore animals, but I'll stick to cats thanks!

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   

buster2010

rangerdanger
Being from the southwest, I can tell you, I have yet to meet a pitbull that isn't good with children. I've never met a pit that wasn't the nicest animal around. If you aren't from this area, or don't have experience with pits then you'll never understand these animals.

A pitbull is a breed that was bred for fighting and that is it. It was never meant to be a family pet. But the dogs can't be blamed the people that own them are the blame for attacks.
edit on 25-9-2013 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

You're wrong. Pit Bulls used to be known as 'nanny dogs' for a long time.
www.examiner.com...

All dogs are potentially dangerous. Not so long back I read about a small dog like a Chihuahua had mauled and killed a baby in a pram but this breed hasn't been banned as dangerous. In my experience the small breeds are the most aggressive dogs of all.

In fact in all honesty, the only problem dogs I see when I'm out with my boys are the small, yappy, ankle-biting dogs, they are so aggressive and often strain their leashes trying to get at my dogs. My boys never react and that makes me so proud. I have two huge Mastiffs, extremely well-behaved and obedient. They are strong, powerful boys but they have such a calm nature and wouldn't hurt anyone - unless you enter my home uninvited or try to harm me.
edit on 26-9-2013 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   
why do you think i give my neighbors pitbulls "special" treats when i see them? now they just sit there all lazy

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

doobydoll

buster2010

rangerdanger
Being from the southwest, I can tell you, I have yet to meet a pitbull that isn't good with children. I've never met a pit that wasn't the nicest animal around. If you aren't from this area, or don't have experience with pits then you'll never understand these animals.

A pitbull is a breed that was bred for fighting and that is it. It was never meant to be a family pet. But the dogs can't be blamed the people that own them are the blame for attacks.

www.examiner.com...

All dogs are potentially dangerous. Not so long back I read about a small dog like a Chihuahua had mauled and killed a baby in a pram but this breed hasn't been banned as dangerous. In my experience the small breeds are the most aggressive dogs of all.

In fact in all honesty, the only problem dogs I see when I'm out with my boys are the small, yappy, ankle-biting dogs, they are so aggressive and often strain their leashes trying to get at my dogs. My boys never react and that makes me so proud. I have two huge Mastiffs, extremely well-behaved and obedient. They are strong, powerful boys but they have such a calm nature and wouldn't hurt anyone - unless you enter my home uninvited or try to harm me.

You like the other person that said I was wrong needs to go read the link I posted earlier. Pitbulls were bred for fighting sorry you don't like it but those are just the facts.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

buster2010

doobydoll

buster2010

rangerdanger

www.examiner.com...

You like the other person that said I was wrong needs to go read the link I posted earlier. Pitbulls were bred for fighting sorry you don't like it but those are just the facts.

Not anywhere in that link does it say Pit Bulls were originally bred for fighting.
Quoted from your link:

The pit bull’s ancestors hail from England and were brought to North America by English immigrants. These descendants were bred from the bulldog, which some breed historians believe originally served as a “gripping dog” for hunters of large game. (The term “bulldog” does not refer to the American Kennel Club’s English Bulldog. This more recently developed breed serves as a loyal companion rather than a working dog.) Later, bulldogs were likely used as butcher’s dogs and helped control large livestock.

It was later they were bred and used for fighting.

After animal baiting was banned in the early 1800s, people began pitting dogs against each other, and the cruel sport of dog fighting was born. As it grew in popularity, enthusiasts developed a lighter, more agile dog for the fighting ring.

www.aspca.org...

Despite the fact that pit bulls were bred to fight with each other, early breeders took pride in producing dogs that were trustworthy and friendly to people. Handlers bathed their opponent’s dog before a match, stood in the pits with the battling dogs and often pulled them apart to end a fight. Any dog who behaved aggressively toward a person was culled, or killed, to avoid passing on such an undesirable trait. Pit bulls typically lived in their owner’s homes, where they earned the nickname “nursemaid’s dog” because they were so reliable with young children. In fact, “Pete the Pup,” the children’s friend from the old TV series “Our Gang,” was a pit bull.

Nanny dogs, see underlined.

Maybe you should read your own links before you post.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Why do people who own pit bulls not get it? One poster stated that their pit "would never bite anyone" ... how can you make that statement?

It comes down to this: Animals are ANIMALS! Any animal/pet has the potential to attack a person or another animal if the situation calls for it...and who knows what could set off an animal? Hell, my loving, lap cat takes a swipe at me for no reason sometimes.

The difference between a pitbull and most other pets/breeds is that they have the physical tools to kill when they do "snap". That is what makes them dangerous.

Why are they the most popular fighting dogs? Because physically they are built for killing. It's not rocket science.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

doobydoll

buster2010

doobydoll

buster2010

rangerdanger

www.examiner.com...

Not anywhere in that link does it say Pit Bulls were originally bred for fighting.
Quoted from your link:

The pit bull’s ancestors hail from England and were brought to North America by English immigrants. These descendants were bred from the bulldog, which some breed historians believe originally served as a “gripping dog” for hunters of large game. (The term “bulldog” does not refer to the American Kennel Club’s English Bulldog. This more recently developed breed serves as a loyal companion rather than a working dog.) Later, bulldogs were likely used as butcher’s dogs and helped control large livestock.

It was later they were bred and used for fighting.

After animal baiting was banned in the early 1800s, people began pitting dogs against each other, and the cruel sport of dog fighting was born. As it grew in popularity, enthusiasts developed a lighter, more agile dog for the fighting ring.

www.aspca.org...

Despite the fact that pit bulls were bred to fight with each other, early breeders took pride in producing dogs that were trustworthy and friendly to people. Handlers bathed their opponent’s dog before a match, stood in the pits with the battling dogs and often pulled them apart to end a fight. Any dog who behaved aggressively toward a person was culled, or killed, to avoid passing on such an undesirable trait. Pit bulls typically lived in their owner’s homes, where they earned the nickname “nursemaid’s dog” because they were so reliable with young children. In fact, “Pete the Pup,” the children’s friend from the old TV series “Our Gang,” was a pit bull.

Nanny dogs, see underlined.

Maybe you should read your own links before you post.

And maybe you should take a course on English comprehension. Reread your post again here let me help you. See the second to the last part you quoted from the article. Where it says "DESPITE THAT FACT THAT PITBULLS WERE BRED TO FIGHT EACH OTHER". Now what does that tell you? They were bred to fight.

edit on 26-9-2013 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

So does any dog. Like I said I've heard of a Jack Russell killing a child. All dogs can be dangerous. Chihuahuas have laid people open and they've required stitches. A pit is like any dog, just stronger than most.

If you go out to Hawaii, you have to be extra careful with all breeds of dogs. Their population is so small that there has been a lot of inbreeding, so they tend to be crazier and more aggressive sometimes. Dogs that normally are smart and gentle aren't the most intelligent and can be violent.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

They were originally bred for hunting and herding. It wasn't until later they were used for fighting.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Now there you go,an excellent expression of critical thinking or as my son in law might say "Spot on" ,I am sick of the morons who equate the attacks to a breed of dog rather than the owners who raise their dogs as weapons or can't handle the appropriate care of a strong dog.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join