It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Irish hero saves hundreds of terrified shoppers in Nairobi by fighting off gunmen

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
A mystery Irish man became a hero when he helped save hundreds of frightened people during the Nairobi terrorist attack. The former Irish Army Ranger got caught up in the terror when attackers descended on the Westgate shopping mall at the weekend.

The hero, who does not want his identity to be revealed, was part of a group of four who fought off some of the al Qa'ida linked attackers to rescue the terrified shoppers.
A close friend revealed last night that the ex-soldier was about to leave the mall when the attack began and he ran back inside with a former British soldier.
They were provided with guns by two Asian men and the four ran into an underground car park where they found over 200 shoppers and staff hiding behind parked trucks.
They brought the group up a ramp onto a street and then returned to the mall where they found another 100 people.
The men also helped to bring them out of the mall.
But when the two ex-soldiers tried to gain access to the third floor, where some colleagues were based, they came under fire from the roof.
They returned fire and moved into a restaurant where others were in hiding.
After a further exchange of gunfire, they found another large group of shoppers and engaged with the gunmen again as they brought them to safety.

It is reported that this man then spent three hours using his paramedical training to help the injured, including people who had been shot or hit by hand grenade shrapnel, and then turned restaurant tables into temporary stretchers to shuttle them to safety. He had been in Nairobi on business and was making a social visit to the mall when the shooting started. His friend said he slipped out of the mall afterwards in blood-soaked jeans and t-shirt and "stayed out of the limelight, despite tweets and appeals on Facebook from people, who wanted to thank him for his efforts".

Sounds like something from a movie, what a brave bunch of men to run towards the danger instead of fleeing when they had the chance.

Link 1
Link 2

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   

The ex-soldier, who does not want to be identified, is from the Midlands and is working as a consultant in Africa. He was in Nairobi on business.

Consultant. Of course he is.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

What if he is or what if he isn't, the main fact is that he saved many peoples lives no?

By the way lady T... love the Judge Anderson avvy... brings back old memories that does!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 25-9-2013 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

edit on 25-9-2013 by Rodinus because: And i still can't spell!

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

yeah no doubt it is probably along the 'security' lines. Still, fair play to him

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Matters not a jot if you believe the story is as it's presented. His story and the shooting itself.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Lady_Tuatha
reply to post by khimbar

yeah no doubt it is probably along the 'security' lines. Still, fair play to him

Indeed. If it's true then well done him. And the Marine/SAS guy. They have some balls.

But I just find the whole thing incredibly dubious. Especially these stories of heroism from soldiers who just happened to be there.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

There was a thread on here a couple of days ago about an ex SAS soldier also taking part in saving people in the mall.

Personally i believe that the 2 guys were probably connected in some kind of business to do with security over there, however, my hat still goes off to them both for doing what they did... no matter how the story is portrayed by the popular media.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 25-9-2013 by Rodinus because: Word added

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Thanks for sharing this. Talk about an unthinkable tragedy for the setting and outcome...yet even something this dark, has light spots for people putting others above their own interests and acting...not freezing or following.

Way to go on what this man was able to do and help others do. There always seems to be a couple in any large group that are willing to stand apart and do whatever the situation demands. It's great to see this little segment of the event went as well as it did for so many people.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Now just to be clear by "Irish Army Ranger", Do they actually mean the Irish "Army Ranger Wing"

Because if its the later that means that we potentially could have had two active (or off-duty, or retired, depending on what your read) SF soldiers one form Ireland and one from the UK who just happened to be at the scene of a terrorist attack were a woman from the UK who lived out much of her life in County Down (granted is Northern Ireland) may have been involved. We have the UK government holding a COBRA Meeting almost right away and now we have the media changing it from "off-duty SAS" to "ex Royal Marine" and the UK Government keeping very tight lipped about everything whilst quietly sending of the SAS to assist the Kenyan's.

Now as i have said on the previous thread, this is just speculation but what if both of or one of these guys were actually working for British intelligence conducting surveillance on this woman and that is how the ended up at the right place at the right time.

Like i say is speculation and i have no proof other than some interesting coincidences

Regardless of who how those two men ended up in that situation they are hero's

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I love how everyone got their guns from Asians. LOL, that's a new one. Who are these mysterious Asians that have so many guns?

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Wow that Bono really gets around doesn't he

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Thanks for the post. I will share my sentiment from the other thread in that I can offer my admiration for anyone who risks injury to save others in need.

On another note...

Is it just me or does anyone else find it odd that a ex SAS soldier and Irish army ranger both happened to be in a Kenyan shopping mall...
?

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Lady_Tuatha

Sounds like something from a movie, what a brave bunch of men to run towards the danger instead of fleeing when they had the chance.

That's what a real man does. That's our job. I wonder if anyone remembers the Aurora movie theatre shooting and the full grown men climbing over women and children to save their own skins? Heck one was on national TV here in the USA on CNN. Like being a coward was the new thing. Myself and others watching TV were beside ourselves. My female friend asked why is his fiancee just sitting there acting like this was OK?

Anyhow the guy abandoned her and the baby and I think another kid, they were his kids by the way, and fled to save his own skin. There were heroes that day too but they were the kids IMO.

Oh here it is. This is what a man IS NOT IMHO.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Sounds to convenient for my mind... "2 Asian men gave them a couple guns"

There are to many conwinkydinks if you ask me.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   

khimbar

Lady_Tuatha
reply to post by khimbar

Indeed. If it's true then well done him. And the Marine/SAS guy. They have some balls.

But I just find the whole thing incredibly dubious. Especially these stories of heroism from soldiers who just happened to be there.

I agree %100, but to play devil's advocate, everywhere I go there are people who either were or are still in the armed forces. Seriously. Everywhere, there are bumper stickers "Retired Veteran", or "Hey Look at me I'm in the National Guard" ok that last sticker doesn't exist but it might as well. They probably just advertise it on their cars in case they get pulled over by a sentiMENTAL cop.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I know that in Kenya, a lot of British army soldiers do training over there. I had a friend in 3 Para (parachute regiment) who trained over in Kenya.

These men being here may not be a conspiracy of any kind or secret work. They could of simply been out on a day out and caught up in the attack.

As for laws of carrying weapons in Kenya I don't know or the two Asian men who supplied them with the weapons I don't know how that works

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

I think it is the Royal Irish Rangers regiment which is a regiment of the british army, but then again... you never know?

Both guys are from 2 different regiments, i am not sure if most people know who are outside of the UK but the SAS is compiled with soldiers ranging from all different regiments (but mostly infantry) in the British army and there are quite a few, the latest updated list of regiments is available here :

en.wikipedia.org...

and a list of infantry regiments here :

www.army.mod.uk...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
1) UK SF of all branches are in Kenya all year round on the training areas as are other British units.

2) UK SF operate as of this moment in over 12 differing African and ME nations as either stand alone forces or in participation with the local government.

3) Kenya is a massive R+R point for 'Contractors' off of commercial vessels and 'other duties'.

UK Government want this 'White widow' badly. Like really, really badly.

Now, a final thought - weird isn't it how two top former UK Parachute Regiment Officers have died in Kenya in the last year. targeted at home and terminated with extreme prejudice.

Seems like a great game is afoot between the Cat and Mouse.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

I think it is the Royal Irish Rangers regiment which is a regiment of the british army, but then again... you never know?

Actually the Royal Irish Rangers Regiment was disbanded during the 1990's and replaced with the Royal Irish Regiment.

The media are saying he was a "Irish Ranger" the only unit i can think of would be the Army Ranger Wing which is Irish Special Forces. That's what would seem to make this even more interesting two ex, off-duty, retired or whatever Special forces guys happen to be in the right place at the right time when a British women along with a rag tag bunch of terrorists attack a Kenyan shopping mall.

Both guys are from 2 different regiments, i am not sure if most people know who are outside of the UK but the SAS is compiled with soldiers ranging from all different regiments (but mostly infantry) in the British army

This is not strictly true the SAS can recruit from anywhere in the British Armed Forces, there is a amazing story i once read of a navy cook who ended up in the Regiment for example. It does not have to be someone who is in the British Army it can be anyone in the British Armed Forces so long as they can pass selection and have authority from their CO. It is true however that most members of the SAS come from a British Army background (mostly para's) but there is nothing technically to stop a guy (no women) who is a Navy cook (although most Navy guys would go to SBS).

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

This is not strictly true the SAS can recruit from anywhere in the British Armed Forces, there is a amazing story i once read of a navy cook who ended up in the Regiment for example. It does not have to be someone who is in the British Army it can be anyone in the British Armed Forces so long as they can pass selection and have authority from their CO. It is true however that most members of the SAS come from a British Army background (mostly para's) but there is nothing technically to stop a guy (no women) who is a Navy cook (although most Navy guys would go to SBS).

Erm, in other words that what what i was getting at, (i should have said HM armed forces and not just army)

They can also "apply" as well as being actively recruited too to join the SAS.

I myself am a UK ex armed forces serviceman and spent much time training in my younger years with SAS guys up in Otterburn and down in Wales that started off in the Catering corps, Royal engineers, Royal Signals, Blues and Royals etc etc etc...

Something i would like to add is how funny it is the stereotypical image that some people have/had of special forces soldiers, they are not all mega muscles and square jaws with a need to fight... some of the guys that i used to train with back all those years ago just looked like your everyday IT tech, plumber,washing machine service guy etc etc etc... (Even knew one that was a grave digger in civvy street!!) THANKS HOLLYWOOD

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 25-9-2013 by Rodinus because: Buggered up my quote!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join