It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran ready for nuclear talks with UN

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Hi foks,

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says he is prepared to engage in "time-bound and results-oriented" talks on his country's nuclear programme.

He told the UN General Assembly's annual meeting in New York that sanctions against Iran were "violent".

He also welcomed Syria's acceptance of the Chemical Weapons Convention and condemned the use of such weapons.

Earlier, US President Barack Obama said he was encouraged by Mr Rouhani's "more moderate course".
Continue reading the main story

President Rouhani rejected what he sees as the Western conception of a world with a civilised centre and an uncivilised periphery. The result, he said, was a monologue in international relations.

Although the Israeli delegation boycotted his speech, President Rouhani used a very different tone at the UN to that of his predecessor, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. The new president condemned what he said was the criminal occupation imposed on the Palestinians, although he used milder language than President Ahmadinejad.

But so far the hopes of a thaw in relations between Iran and the West have been based on atmospherics, not substance. Negotiations later this week between Iran and the five permanent members of the Security Council plus Germany, might show if there has been a change of attitude - on both sides.

New tone, old differences

He told the General Assembly that the diplomatic approach to settling the dispute over Iran's nuclear programme must be tested.

Mr Rouhani, who was elected earlier this year, has pledged a more open approach in international affairs.

Iran is under UN and Western sanctions over its controversial nuclear programme.

Tehran says it is enriching uranium for peaceful purposes but the US and its allies, including Israel, suspect Iran's leaders of trying to build a nuclear weapon.

And i thought that i would also add this little snippet :

However, President Rouhani's address failed to impress Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu who described it as "cynical... full of hypocrisy".

"It had no practical suggestion to stop Iran's military nuclear programme and no commitment to fulfil UN Security Council decisions," he said in a statement.

The full news story here : www.bbc.co.uk...

So folks... what are your opinions on this new turn in Iranian foreign relations... sincerity or trying to pull the wool over the UNs eyes?

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 25-9-2013 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

edit on 25-9-2013 by Rodinus because: Screwed up edit fixed

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

I would love for Iran to end its own sanctions on its people.

Personal freedoms to do what they want to do, without any censorship.

Less anti US rhetoric, and more freedoms for their own people.

I think this has to happen first, before the US can Negotiate. That would be the biggest step, and one that would prove that change has come to Iran.

S&F

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

And to add in order to fuel this debate

This is what CBC has to say in an analysis :

Is Iran's new 'charm offensive' real?

Today we may witness one of those rare historic moments when dull diplomacy is transformed abruptly into rare high drama. When a single moment's chemistry might help reset the entire tone of global affairs.

The reason is the growing speculation that the new and seemingly moderate president of Iran, Hassan Rouhani, might actually shake hands today with U.S. President Barack Obama inside the UN, which Rouhani is scheduled to address.

That simple handshake, if it happens, will be the highest official contact between these two proud nations in over 30 years of bitter deadlock.

Not quite the same surprise, perhaps, as Richard Nixon flying to Beijing to open relations with Communist China in 1972; or then Egyptian president Anwar Sadat arriving to address the Israeli parliament in 1977.

But it would certainly be a well-choreographed statement that the time is ripe for profound change for a region and a moment in history when optimism is desperately needed.

It would also be a sea change from the grim mood of mutual suspicion and loathing that has surrounded most Iranian forays into international affairs in recent years.

The rest of the analysis is here :

www.cbc.ca...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 25-9-2013 by Rodinus because: Crap editing... i will get used to it!

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Agree totally with you Sonny,

However, what worries is me is that unlike the executive power in other countries, Hassan Rouhani does not have full control over Iran's foreign policy, the armed forces, or nuclear policy, as these are ultimately under the control of the Supreme Leader a certain Mr Ali Khamenei...

And however yet again and also important to point out, although he might be a fundmentalist nutjob... Khamenei has issued a fatwa saying the production, stockpiling and use of nuclear weapons was forbidden under Islam

More info here : en.wikipedia.org...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 25-9-2013 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

It is hard for me to take Iran's Supreme leader seriously.

Fatwa against Nuclear stockpiles or usage of Weapons, and then Fatwa for someone writing a book he deems offensive. Angered that they are not allowed to post on Youtube, angered that Youtube is blocking their rights of freedom of speech, but in the same token NO ONE is allowed to view You Tube because its "immoral" and offensive. The reason why Iranians have to circumvent filters and censors just to see what the outside World is like in constant fear of being sent to prison for it.

That has to change. Period.

Beautiful Country, Beautiful people in it. If only the hardliners who rule with an iron fist were out the way. The US might have many faults, but at least I can say what I want about my Government without the fear of getting tossed in jail...or killed for it.

For now......

edit on 25-9-2013 by sonnny1 because: typo

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

President Obama will not meet with Iranian President Hassan Rowhani on the sidelines of the United Nations session after Iranian officials nixed the idea, senior Obama administration officials said Tuesday.

Despite Obama announcing in his address to the U.N. General Assembly that he was opening the door to new talks over Iran's nuclear program, U.S. officials revealed that the Iranian government was apparently uncomfortable with the prospect of Rowhani chatting personally with Obama in New York.

Despite Obama overture, Iranians nix possibility of meeting with Rowhani

Guess the Supreme leader isn't warm to relations after all.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

*Scratches head*

Sheesh, it sounds like one of those run ups to a heavyweight boxing match :

An official said they were thinking a handshake or some similar gesture might be feasible, but "ultimately it became clear that that was too complicated for them at this time."

*Ding Ding*

Round one!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
The political leaders of Iran at the UN have become treated like the boy who called wolf too many times. In this case it was the boy who called America bad names. However, the NY Times shed some light on the speech by suggesting that America remained distant for the same reason Fidel Castro remained cautious when praising Obama's Presidential appointment - they didn't want to jeopardize the other politician's standing amongst their own people.

Mr. Rouhani’s words were a far cry from the inflammatory rhetoric of his predecessor, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. He did not mention Israel, let alone threaten its existence. Nor did he deny the existence of the Holocaust. But his message was clearly aimed at placating hard-line elements in Iran, who analysts say will be quick to undermine Mr. Rouhani’s attempt at diplomacy if he is perceived as moving too fast.

A handshake with the president of the United States — on the heels of Mr. Rouhani’s other conciliatory gestures — might well have been interpreted that way, American officials said. “Every leader has his or her own politics,” the senior official said. “That’s certainly the case with President Rouhani.”

edit on 25-9-2013 by MysteriousHusky because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-9-2013 by MysteriousHusky because: grammar

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   

sonnny1
reply to post by Rodinus

President Obama will not meet with Iranian President Hassan Rowhani on the sidelines of the United Nations session after Iranian officials nixed the idea, senior Obama administration officials said Tuesday.

Despite Obama announcing in his address to the U.N. General Assembly that he was opening the door to new talks over Iran's nuclear program, U.S. officials revealed that the Iranian government was apparently uncomfortable with the prospect of Rowhani chatting personally with Obama in New York.

Despite Obama overture, Iranians nix possibility of meeting with Rowhani

Guess the Supreme leader isn't warm to relations after all.

Seeing how America has screwed Iran over in the past they would be smart to keep a wary eye out when dealing with America.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   

buster2010

Seeing how America has screwed Iran over in the past they would be smart to keep a wary eye out when dealing with America.

Sure you dont have this poster above your bed, Buster?

Seeing how Iran had a great opportunity to shed the ridiculous blame everything on the "Great Satan" shtick, I say they let a good opportunity go to waste.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Didn't we get the memo that nuclear talks are completely unnecessary? There is no threat from nuclear radiation what so ever. The world can breathe a huge sigh of relief and stop questioning Iran or any other nation with nuclear aspirations. Fukushima has proven that there is no threat to the world posed by nuclear weapons and in fact a nuclear disaster is not even a concern for our governments worthy of discussion.

They can't have it both ways. Either nuclear radiation is a threat or it isn't. The world's lack of demand for transparent security at Fukushima clearly demonstrates that our leaders are not concerned in the slightest with nuclear dangers.

That nuclear threat bridge has been burned as an avenue for the military industrial complex to use as a reason to attack anyone.

The day the world marches into Fukushima and takes control of that dangerous situation then they can act like nuclear anything matters anymore. For now, nobody cares about Iran...they aren't a threat. Game over.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   

sonnny1

buster2010

Sure you dont have this poster above your bed, Buster?

Seeing how Iran had a great opportunity to shed the ridiculous blame everything on the "Great Satan" shtick, I say they let a good opportunity go to waste.

No I don't have a short memory span like you obviously do. It would be stupid for a nation like Iran who has had their government overthrown by America to blindly walk into any dealings with America.

Btw will you be memorizing your PM Netanyahu's whinefest at the UN this year?

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I think that if Ronald Reagan could come to terms and arms reduction agreements with the Soviet Union? We can absolutely hear out Iran, do so in good faith, and find some way to avert conflict between two great nations.

I know...many don't see Iran as Great for anything but Oil and maybe not that.. Depends on who people ask..but they're still a nation just under 1/3rd our own population....just under 1/3rd our Continental land mass. The idea that two major world nations cannot come together to at least TALK? Well.... Politics at it's best ..and worst.

It's embarassing to have Iran be the first to show some intelligence to try and avert more death and war ...maybe there is a lesson in there somewhere, too. Maybe not...but I'll hope for the best here.

Also..never forget the rule that underlay everything Reagan did with the Soviets. It applies here equally. "Trust but verify".....every last thing.
edit on 25-9-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I actually take my hat off to François Hollande the French president for holding out a hand to the Iranians and giving them the chance to prove their good faith.

I think that some world leaders have a lesson to learn (unless of course this has already been "organised" so to speak between the "those" world leaders that want to jump on Iran and Mr Hollande??)
Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 25-9-2013 by Rodinus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
The only way to settle this "nuclear issue" between Iran and the west (mainly US and Israel) is through mutual respect and recognition...Americans must distinguish the fact that Iran is not just another sand box ME country...Iran is the single most influential country in the ME (culturally,religiously,politically and historically)...It has the biggest reserves of natural gas only second to Russia and it is one of the very few giant producers of oil and its products in the world...The young and eager population of Iran are among the best (academically and scientifically).Iranians also make almost anything a nation needs!,quiet opposite of a lot of regional countries,and it designs and manufactures all sorts of war toys and technological gadgets....Iranians have been living under different sanctions applied by the west for several decades,and they have not recieved a least financial assistance from any country during all that critical times.....Iran has been a peaceful country for centuries and have not done a thing to harm any nation for ages...The only thing Iranians want is to be treated as they deserve,with respect and dignity and for the westerners to stop sabotaging,sanctioning,threatening and intervening in the region and in their internal affairs.Quiet simple and straight forward....We wish peace for everyone in the world and we blame the bully governments for the status quo,not the people of any country,because we believe that people are generally kind and sincere...We hope to see a brighter future for all mankind and wish to contribute to peace and help to spread love instead of hatred and wars that are unfortunately currently in the process.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Iran has proven themselves to be a great sanctuary for terrorist trying to avoid the CIA drones and their hellfire missiles. Most, if not all, of the suicide attacks in Iraq train in Iran and attempt to seed a civil war that is in the best interest of Iran.

There is little doubt that Muhammad Ahmed AL-Munawar and Hakimullah Mahsud are hiding out in Iran to escape the drones. Although no one knows where Omar Shafik Hammami is his association with al-Shabaab is known and is a top suspect in the Somalia attacks.

President Obama has learned quite a bit with on the job training and will not believe a word coming from Iran regardless of who is doing the talking. Of course, the rhetoric to the public will be favorable, and no doubt the CIA thinks this is just another stall tactic to further Iran's nuclear ambitions.

Hammami is wanted here in the south, Alabama southern district to be exact, and if it turns out that he escaped Somalia and is hiding in the federal tribal districts of Iran then I would not be surprised if Obama gives the go ahead to the CIA to blow him to pieces. Obama has proven himself to be a risk taker and Hammami's ability to hide is a thorn in the side of the administration.

If Hammami is really hiding in Iran then I might limp over there and take a shot at him myself. Any talk of a UN arrangement on nuclear issues is nothing but fodder until he is captured or killed. He has got to go.

Again, no one knows just where he is and there is no real intelligence that he is in Iran.

All I can say is he better not be.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

spooky24
Iran has proven themselves to be a great sanctuary for terrorist trying to avoid the CIA drones and their hellfire missiles. Most, if not all, of the suicide attacks in Iraq train in Iran and attempt to seed a civil war that is in the best interest of Iran.

There is little doubt that Muhammad Ahmed AL-Munawar and Hakimullah Mahsud are hiding out in Iran to escape the drones. Although no one knows where Omar Shafik Hammami is his association with al-Shabaab is known and is a top suspect in the Somalia attacks.

what !?
you are completely wrong. Al-Qaeda hates Iran and vice versa. simple hatred !!!!

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by spooky24

Well my friend I am afraid international diplomacy is a little more complicated than for it to be under influence of one man!,specially sharif mundavi! or whatever the heck their name was...Who are those people anyways?! ,some tribal cavemen running away from drones and lions and stuff finding sanctuaries in Iranian territory?!...I am sure they are nowhere close to be significant enough for such delicate issues as international peace or diplomatic relations between the west and Iran.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
KSM, Ali Mohammed, Rmazi Yousef, Mohammed al-Zawahiri all hid in Iran for years. They were only captured after they left. Iran was a way station for 4 of the 9/11 hijackers in order to cover their visit to Afghanistan for training by replacing the Visa they calmed to have lost therefore eliminating any trace they had ever been to Afghanistan which would have prohibited them from getting US visas.

With large amounts of cash to flush tribal elders in the region it is quite impossible to know just who is hiding there. Iran's central government has little influence there and locals are easily bribed and set their own laws for the region. It is practically impossible for the CIA to establish operatives in the region.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by spooky24 The only way those people could have entered Iran is from Baluchestan borders, because that is probably the most vulnerable border line as far as the total control and patrolling...I am sure Iranian officials would not be pleased at all if leaders of well known terrorist groups found safe heaven in Iran...And I thing only god knows where on earth 9/11 terrorists were really from,if they existed at all.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join