It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have we been duped into performing rituals without realising it ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by skonaz

Soap is believed to be derived from sacrifice. After the killings on an altar were then burned the body's fats and ashes would then collect at the bottom. When it would rain the ash would slowly turn into lye which then reacted with the body fats through the process we now know as Saponification.
It would turn into soap right there at the bottom of the altar which in return would wash away and clean the altars base as it rained. Viola we have soap.

I make my own soap out of lye and vegetable oils so no more animal fat baths for me.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

TheLieWeLive
reply to post by skonaz

Soap is believed to be derived from sacrifice. After the killings on an altar were then burned the body's fats and ashes would then collect at the bottom. When it would rain the ash would slowly turn into lye which then reacted with the body fats through the process we now know as Saponification.
It would turn into soap right there at the bottom of the altar which in return would wash away and clean the altars base as it rained. Viola we have soap.

I make my own soap out of lye and vegetable oils so no more animal fat baths for me.

Thankyou.
I really appreciate your input.
The history you provided kind of reinforces my supposition that there is a forgotten or darker ritual element to these mundane things that we do without much thought.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

watchitburn
I think for something to qualify as a ritual, it has to have personal meaning, or an intention to it. Otherwise it's just a habit or a routine action.

I think that even if the people involved don't have an intention--if there is an intention from someone (anyone) it qualifies. For example, the rituals that take place in religious practice (or even secular superstitious rituals), not everyone involved attributes personal meaning or intention, but nonetheless it's certainly a ritual.

There are plenty of other conspiracy theories that revolve around people participating in rituals without knowing it. Some of the more speculative/fantastical theories revolve around the JFK being part of a ritual (King Kill 33), 9/11, and even the Titanic sinking being a ritual based on the Master Mason Degree ritual.

On the other end of the spectrum, for more mundane examples, you could probably consider any sort of behavior modification as a type of ritual. Pavlovian triggers, etc.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
English imho is a riddle type language. BIG, BIG rabbit hole.

There is this guy on YT that has some fascinating stuff. Many videos by him are great. some are rants against people who attack him in their videos, going at his kids, etc.. There is this video where he explains the word blessing was spitting blood from a sacrifice onto you.

go to around the 10min mark if in a hurry (wish I knew how to get it to start there)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

here is the absolute best explanation I have ever found in 12 years I have been "into this conspiracy stuff".

AWESOME stuff, worth a few minutes of time, put it into your watch later. BEST video I ever found on youtube.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Ritauls or routines drive behavior, in part, because of how the brain works. Neural plasticity for example. Or cognitive behavioral therapies - created around knowing we have schemas. A script of sorts.

To explain it in behavioral terms - we have a payoff for it - some type of positive reinforcement so are conditioned to behave in certain ways. Thereafter our brain "hums" (for lack of a better word) by the very comfort routines provide (sense of knowing, security, the world makes sense).

This isn't to say we cannot evaluate routines. In fact we do it all the time. Evaluating and behavior change are not equal though. We evaluate things all the time yet fail to change (people who keep smoking or drinking - as an example, in spite of bad consequences). Even if there is a strong desire to stop a certain ritual it can be hard to change it. Interesting isn't it?

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
observing the islamic kaaba we can see a spiral movement ritual done by thousands of people

in every story there is a little truth it is said and everybody knows the story of alladin and his wonder oil-lamp with a djinn that grants wishes (djinn,jinn,djini in the bottle)

if we peek inside the kaaba we can see something that looks like vases,bottles,lamps or vessels hanging at the ceiling

picture of the kaaba inside

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
So let me get this right..the only reason you think we wash with soap is because some secret shadowy organization is tricking us into preforming some ritual that does..well you haven't explained what its supposed to do.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Intentioned rituals which we perform every day. We do many things over the course of the day, where the intended result and actual result differ, and where some form of spiritual energy is transferred.

Perhaps you apply an animal based soap, but which one? There are many to chose from at the store. Each has its own compliment of natural and artificial scents, which do affect how you feel as you apply them. Beyond that, the label, and any advertising you may have seen relating to the product shape your intentions and energy during use.

Did you go for the Axe soap, or maybe you're more of a traditionalist and pick up Old Spice. Perhaps you pick one with all organic oils, or choose a particular scent with a specific reasoning in mind (very much more to aromatherapy then we're told). Maybe you were told the product would make you attractive to men, and perhaps it told you it would make you more attractive to yourself. Maybe your product claims to not advertise at all. Every color, image, and word relating to the product alters your real and perceived intentions going into its use.

Think about the points in time where your brain is all consumed. Times where multitasking is not possible, because you are fully focused on one specific activity. These are most likely to be experiences of directed energy. Meditation and prayer are prime examples of this, but there are others. Pull someone from their meditation, and they'll likely not be pleased, but they should take it in stride. Pull someone from the NFL game, and they just might get violent. Who was in control of their energies at the time?

In the vein of the OP, there are a number of things we do involving various combinations of organ and tissue products from animals. Centuries ago, this would be placed squarely in the realm of witchcraft or potionmaking. Now, we see really freakish combinations of animal parts in some of our particularly valuable personal care products. High-end lotions, conditioners, etc use such substances toward supposed positive skin effects. Vaccines are another story entirely, concerning their ingredients, but certainly are rituals. Neither mom nor baby want to see those needles come out, but mom stands by and lets it happen (even gets some of her own), because the man in the white coat says they're necessary.

Why does mom believe that? Probably the largest communal ritual instituted on this planet. At an early age, she learned to sit up straight and keep quiet like a good girl, earning the praise of the teacher. She graduated high school, and perhaps even went on to college, where she was taught just enough in each subject to believe that the masters are not to be questioned.

And college? That feeling of self righteousness that comes from feeling like you're so much smarter than everyone you walk by? That belief that if everybody simply started behaving in the wonderful, logical, rational way that they're teaching, then everything would be amazing? I know that pretty much goes away once the 'real world' hits, but until then? They've got you, and your money, for half a decade.

To take people in their prime years of energetic social and spiritual expression, and make them believe that they'll only be worth the diploma they 'earn.' To convince them they're part of some community by virtue of where they chose to make out a check, and then couple that sense of community with threat of superiority from rival institutions (football, academic competitions, pranks, etc), not only gets students used to participating in these style rituals for life, it redirects an amazing amount of energy and money which may otherwise have the power to cause some profound social and political change.

Finally, there are our "livin' the good life" rituals. The arbitrary, "I can't X without Y" constructs we create for ourselves. Can't drink water without some addition of flavor/sweetness. Can't sleep without iPod/TV running. Can't go a morning without caffeine, or a day without a cig. Can't drive without the radio, or sit at home without TV. Often these start as a habit, and end in frustration. How many times has a quick sit in front of the screen (tv, internet, phone, whatever) become a frustrating experience of channel/site/song hopping, trying to eek out a little dopamine from this machine. Oh, but you say, I just wanted a little sit, it was a long day. I understand, but the difference between taking a few minutes to meditate, and taking that time to power up the device is huge. Its the difference between saying, "I need some time with my spirit, away from external distraction, that we may both be refreshed", vs "I need some time away from that pesky spirit, I need some external distraction and pleasure, that I might be refreshed."

--

Ritual is important. We are most mentally effective when there is some underlying structure to the day. However, attachment to these rituals can quickly become dangerous. Sometimes I'm caught off guard, when an acquaintance (rarely a friend) tells me they've gotta watch their show, have their fizzy water, etc. I usually give a little chuckle, assuming they're giving me a rub by caricaturing some aspect of society. And then it hits me, they're serious. They can't drink their water without magic powder, or live without the magic screen. They really believe they can't. It's truly sad to watch.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Painterz

I agree with Painterz ...the people of past times believed your soul temporarily left your body when you sneezed, and "bless you" was to protect you from the horned one.
edit on 25-9-2013 by zeevar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

Man has been washing himself long before fat and ash were mixed to make soap... and when he found that soap was more efficient to clean himself with... the world smelt a lot better... washing is a ritual as much as brushing your teeth and flushing the toilet...nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenManXphile

Some weeks ago I wanted to know more about this new trent (the hand pyramid) which is promoted by many black...and white artists.

What I did is viewing several YouTube vids on the subject and to my horror a lot of other alleged satanic behaviour, performed by celebs like Jay-Z was mentioned and explained.

I am aware that there is no hard evidence but there are a lot of indications there is something weird going on among Hip-Hop artists and the music/ film industry in general.

The more you get informed about these artists the more you will see the connection with other layers of society...The rabbit hole does go deep, steep, twisted and with many forks into the ground.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
You have to understand what ritual is first, which is nothing repetition. Magic uses archetypal representations for magic. The more robust and well defined an archetype, the more reliable it is to use. That is to say, the more familiar you are with the scientific paradigm, the better you will be able to use it.

There are 3 things which reenforce archetypal structures. Repetition, emotion, and novelty. Ritual repetition is the MSN repeating things like GMO = good.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by zeevar

It does make you wonder, at least I do, about the first people who picked up the soap below the altar and started to use it to wash themselves. Why would they want to smear this on their bodies in the first place? Sounds like a ritual practice in itself.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

PhoenixOD
So let me get this right..the only reason you think we wash with soap is because some secret shadowy organization is tricking us into preforming some ritual that does..well you haven't explained what its supposed to do.

Well no ,
I didnt say that at all.
I never mentioned any shadowy organisations
I advised in my OP that this was just being thrown out there for discussion - not something I believe is going on necessarily.
I was more interested in what people thought could be considered unwittingly performed ritual and I have had some fantastic and thoughtful responses.

Thanks all for making my first thread an enjoyable experience.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by LeChatNoir

Thankyou LechatNoir !
Very thoughful and insighful

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
OK, i'll play.

Turning on the TV
Checking social media
Smoking
'How are you?', 'I'm fine, thanks, and yourself?
Paid employment
6 monthly checkups
Checking the news
Ettiquette
Going down the local
Men gather in the lounge, women gather in the kitchen after meals.
Christmas. decorations, gift wrapping, holly, stockings...
Step by step dancing
Checking for keys, phone, wallet before you go out. Tapping the same pockets in the same order daily

writing lists, ahem...
edit on 2592013 by Tsu322 because: (no reason given)

I can't stop thinking about it now. I'm supposed to be sleeping OP I hope you are happy.

Eating savory before sweet
Behaviours of someone with OCD
Abusive relationships
Drug use
Fish on Friday, pizza on Saturday, roast on Sunday...
Births, weddings, funersls
Spring break
Movies with popcorn and hotdogs and a gallon of coke
Ice cream for a break up
Cracking a can after work
Sport
Airport check-in
kissing, 2nd base, 3rd base sleep
Applying make up and jewelery
Male proposing on one knee
Cooking
Gardening
Autistic stimming
Cleaning,laundry...
Praying
Flowers and chocolates
School assemblies
Fire/bomb drills
Bubble bath, candles oils and salts
Checking doors, windows and alarms
Check your socioeconomic status, tick a box, post through slit, stay up late watching the news...
Having a cuppa
Woman cooks meat, man carves meet
All gender roles in general
Pub crawls

edit on 2592013 by Tsu322 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join