It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going Dairy Free - any advice?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Today I've decided to actually take notice of my dairy allergy and try cut it out for a month and see'f there's any improvement. Been looking around online and there's just so much info out there I was hoping some folks here may have experience and recommendations?

I've already found I love Hazlenut milk in my tea. I've used evaporated milk for years in tea and coffee so was worried I wouldn't find the creaminess I love, but this diamond seems to have hit the mark for me.

Wasn't keen on Oat milk, or Hemp milk and Coconut milk I use strictly for cooking.

I'm mainly looking for luscious butter alternatives, preferably something creamy that doesn't resort to xanthan gum (i'm a lurpak and yeovalley addict); cheese alternatives (i have no experience with anything other than dairy cheese and feel a bit out of my depth here); also yoghurt! - honestly, i'll miss yoghurt more than anything... bah, yoghurt and honey...mmm... also lord knows what i'll do without mint yoghurt sauce on my curries.

Also, i'm yet to run into any problems, so anything I may overlook would be gratefully received.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by melancholiflower

Use a lot of organic rice milk myself. Vanilla flavour is good.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Stay away from Dairy.

Is it the lactose that gets ya?
Butter should still be OK. Some cheeses too. You'll have to watch the labels on foods - most things contain a milk product it seems.

You could go 100% soy. Soy products taste like poo, but it'll be better than the BG's.

I get horrible BG's when drinking milk. I'm trying the milk with that lactase stuff in it - so far so good. If you like cheese, go chedder. Seems to be easier on the system. Real sour cream seems to be calmer on the system as well.
edit on 25-9-2013 by chucknasty because: oops

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by chucknasty

BGs?

And i'm not sure exactly what it is, but it seems to cause me sinus and respiratory problems. I have a cheesy pizza and the next day i'm breathing like an old woman on sixty a day. There's also a chance it could be something in flour rather than dairy. I'm not sure yet, just going to try stuff out see what works.

N yeah, I recall a customer once asking me if our crisps contained milk, and was surprised to see they did. Never thought about it before.

As for soy, i'd rather steer clear of soy. Heard it's one of those 'bad' crops that tends to be GM and that they just sorta rape the crap outta the land with it.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by D8ncer

Sounds lovely, never considered flavourings to jazz things up abit. I've heard good things about rice milk though, i'll hunt some down

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by melancholiflower

I've heard that people who go dairy free often like cashew butter (if they don't like it made from coconut). Best of luck on your journey, I'm trying to get my husband to cut back on dairy but it's tough.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I would suggest making your own almond milk.
Peel the almonds ( you can ease peel them if you have soaked them in warm water ) and blend them with some water, then pour the mix through a strainer and there you have healthy almond milk.

top topics

join