It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DEMAND FREEDOM to Star Within "Board Business & Questions" Threads!!!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Hello freedom loving ATSers -

I was just in a thread by "BigFatFurryTexan" which was in the "Board Business & Questions" forum. I was reminded that there are many great points raised in that particular category of threads and again realized that there is NO liberty to post stars in those threads..

Why must we deprive these types of threads of stars? Many posts are well-deserving of stars and people should DEMAND stars be allowed in these threads once and for all! I suggest we band together with a strong voice to free these threads of starring restrictions! Freedom for ALL threads!!! REvolution baby!!!

edit on 24-9-2013 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Has any reason been given for not allowing stars?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Racist bigotry prolly! LOL jk jk... I really don't know, I have never seen the actual answer to that question. I'm sure there is a well intended reason out there... but c'mon, I'm also sure there are at LEAST 400+ posters out there who want to star awesome posts like this in threads like this!

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

All joking aside it is an important feature to have in the B@B because many many times I would love to star a post in that forum but was not interested in getting involved personally. There is no reason why it should not be.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

My thinking exactly! Thanks for the post, I would star it if I could.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
ii do not know why there is not a option to star in this threads either as i have seen many great replies by members here but i guess we will have to put it to a vote what about it s/o

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
?

I just use a liquid paper pen and draw a little star on my monitor, then colour it in with a yellow marker.

does no one else do this in the BB&Q board?

Oo

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Word up. And power to the people.

On a side note....why does this forum not have a BBQ pit as its icon? I mean.....

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   

winofiend
?

I just use a liquid paper pen and draw a little star on my monitor, then colour it in with a yellow marker.

Oo

Lol excellent, but slightly stone-age! Actually it's a damn good idea for stand alone monitors which can be replaced, another alternative needs to be brainstormed for laptops and such tho.. hmmm..

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   

winofiend
?

Oo

Great idea!!!

Just starred you for that....

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Lol that is priceless..

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

I believe that the reason one cannot star posts in the BB&Q is that the ownership would prefer stars to represent good interactions on the topics hosted here, the paranormal, the political conspiracies, and so on. And personally, although I would agree that there have been some great posts in BB&Q, I think that it's a good decision. I do not come here everyday to discuss the function of a forum site, but to interact with the subject matter available for discussion, and I want my track record, my stars and flags, to reflect the quality of my input on those matters, rather than my comments about the running of the site.

Just my two pence.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

That's an interesting take on it I suppose. However, when a member posts good advice on a forum such as this, often times the post can be helpful by creating better content within those other threads. For example, if someone needs advice on how to post pictures in their thread, and someone gives sufficient advice, it makes for better content overall, thus warranting stars for the contribution of said post. Hope that makes sense..
edit on 25-9-2013 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Then BB&Q gets turned into another star mining fest. With people wanting to one up each other, just how it is.. bb&q is the only subcategory still pure like a virgin from the greedy star seekers..
edit on 25-9-2013 by starfoxxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by starfoxxx

Lol, well the same argument can be made for every thread IMO... I think people 1-up others no matter what (with or without stars), it's a cruel cruel world out there! I do agree that star "seeking" is pretty ridiculous if people actually do that.. Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about it, so far it doesn't seem like any changes will be made..

edit on 25-9-2013 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

I can see where you are coming from.

I think that while you are right that someone who posts helpful advice ought to be recognised in some fashion, I have to say that when I make a good contribution in BB&Q, if it catches the attention of the moderators, I some times receive some applause in my inbox.

And let's face it, validation is not the aim of the website. It's here so that we can share our ideas and our knowledge, express our political views. I would agree that anything which assists in that is a positive thing. But the thing about the kind of advice you are talking about is, most of the really helpful posts on BB&Q are drawn from information already threaded and posted by moderators and the site ownership. T&C queries usually get answered verbatim from the page which contains those terms and conditions, and normally the reason for the initial question is a failure to actually read them, for example. Similarly, questions about site mechanics like image and video posting, are only asked because no appropriate site search has been performed by the questioner.

Genuinely insightful comments in BB&Q therefore are pretty rare, and the questions they answer could usually have been answered by pre-existing threads, and communiques from the site ownership. I have personally come across threads started there, which were questions about policy regarding topics like drugs, the site policy on which is a matter of some considerable record within the site, and the thread poster was only asking a question, because the answer he already had from elsewhere in the site was not one which he appreciated.

To save on people getting starred for posts which contain nothing more than copy pastes of the T&C page (pointless) or for bringing up questions about policy which have been gone over time and again, I think its reasonable that the star function remains disabled for that section of the site.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

You do bring some well thought out points to the table, even if I don't agree with all of them.
I wonder if this is the official reason behind it, as it's so far the only solid explanation I've seen yet. Surely this must have been discussed in some fashion before? If anything, if I can't help bring freedom to this board then I might have to settle for the second best option, which is to see the "official" explanation and suck it up!

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
As a user driven content site, ATS takes the ideas and opinions of it's membership seriously, as evidenced by SkepticOverlord's responsiveness to member concerns and questions regarding 5/3

When discussing board issues, it's particularly important that all voices have equal measure to be heard, thus keeping the process as organic as possible. By not having stars in this forum, it acts to allow all opinions to be equally weighted in the discussion, it encourages members to read through the entire thread and it discourages off-topic, sarcastic, agenda-driven or disruptive comments from derailing threads that are important to the membership at large and the functionality of ATS.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Well there we go, thanks for the explanation.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

kosmicjack
As a user driven content site, ATS takes the ideas and opinions of it's membership seriously, as evidenced by SkepticOverlord's responsiveness to member concerns and questions regarding 5/3

When discussing board issues, it's particularly important that all voices have equal measure to be heard, thus keeping the process as organic as possible. By not having stars in this forum, it acts to allow all opinions to be equally weighted in the discussion, it encourages members to read through the entire thread and it discourages off-topic, sarcastic, agenda-driven or disruptive comments from derailing threads that are important to the membership at large and the functionality of ATS.

Its all a smokescreen. Article V, Section 2 of the FatFurry Constitution reads, "Thou shalt not abstain from showering thine peers with stars at the BBQ" Obviously its referring to the Board Business and Questions forum.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join