It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slow cooker seasoning mixes....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I am usually not one to buy "boxed" dinners but this isn't really boxed. I found them recently while venturing down the aisle with all the seasoning packets. I use to just go past is because I'd make my own but with a little one sometimes it's not that easy and my time isn't what it use to be. I can still get some things done but not like I use to!!

Well the ones i found recently are these
McCormick Slow Cooker seasoning mix.
They have a few different flavor packets. You add whatever it says on the back and put it in a crock pot/slow cooker and hours later you have a meal. If you want quick and easy this is perfect.

I did however make it slightly different. I made it per directions and then I layered the mix in a small square casserole dish like a lasagna with corn tortillas. I layered it like this: chicken mixture, tortilla, mexican cheese blend. I continued that til there was no more room lol The top was the chicken mixture topped with cheese. I added fresh cilantro when I served it with a side of sour cream.

This came out really good and I even added the black beans like it said. I'm not a beans fan but decided to give it a try since my husband loves beans. I also used the Rotell canned tomatoes with the lime and cilantro instead of regular diced tomatoes. I like the Rotell tomatoes
esp for dishes like this. I even added some enchilada sauce that i had left over.

It wasn't bad at all. Sure I could make my own seasoning pack and I just might do that next. I never would have put all these things together in a crock pot, not something i'd usually make period. I really liked layering it like a lasagna with the corn tortillas and cheese. MMMMM.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
for a buck and change for the seasoning pack, i've found you can't really go wrong...... i just do as you and dress it up to my liking.

Good Stuff.

HEB, here in Texas, sells pre-marinated [brisket-like] meats for chicken or beef fajitas and the like. i just toss e'm opn the smoker/grille and do 'em up like i would any other, and they come out perfect.

tender, moist, easy to slice, delicious... of course i do add my 'influence' depending upon what i'm looking to achieve, but they've always turned out great.... with nary a 'leftover' in sight.

funny. whatta l'il time and effort can achieve.

edit on 9/24/2013 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   

12m8keall2c
for a buck and change for the seasoning pack, i've found you can't really go wrong...... i just do as you and dress it up to my liking.

Good Stuff.

Exactly! They were buy one get one too! Love a bogo sale!

HEB, here in Texas, sells pre-marinated [brisket-like] meats for chicken or beef fajitas and the like. i just toss e'm opn the smoker/grille and do 'em up like i would any other, and they come out perfect.

Yea Publix here does that too. They have a section in the meat dept where they have made meatloaf, kabobs, stuffed pork chops and chicken cordon bleu. I buy the chicken cordon bleu sometimes and it's really good. It's a lot easier than doing it myself. Just open it and put it in the oven. The foods change depending on what they make that day. Sometimes they have chicken florentine or these beef pin wheels stuffed with spinach, cheese and herbs.

tender, moist, easy to slice, delicious... of course i do add my 'influence' depending upon what i'm looking to achieve, but they've always turned out great.... with near everyone asking for seconds.

I love adding my own "influences" to a new dish. Depending on what it is I will either cook it as is the first time or change it right away.

This is another dish I made my own using one of these seasoning packets. The way they say to make it just makes no sense and it's more work. I just use the seasoning as a started and add whatever else I want to it and cook it all at once in a large pan.
Mblah's Bruschetta Chicken Pasta

funny. whatta l'il time and effort can achieve.

exactly!!

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I have tried that same seasoning before.There is never ending concoctions in the crock pot.

By the way,my daughter loves your veggie dishes ...thumbs up.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   

not necessarily the pre-made stuff.... more vacuum-sealed/packed meats in their own marinade. chicken fajita meat, beef fajita meat, etc.

they DO have the pre-made ... Cordon bleu, specialty burgers, meatloafs and the like ... but i was speaking more to 'ready for the grill/smoker' type stuff ... such as fajita meat and the like.

pecan or mesquite-smoked/grilled.

to die for good ... sliced thinly and wrapped with accompaniments in a freshly-made flour tortilla - topped with roasted salsa, sour cream and fresh chopped cilantro - the best.

beef or chicken, no matter.

diced onions &minced garlic abound, of course

goes without question, imho..... (?)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   

12m8keall2c

not necessarily the pre-made stuff.... more vacuum-sealed/packed meats in their own marinade. chicken fajita meat, beef fajita meat, etc.

Oh it's the same here but the meat dept does it in house. It's not pre made in the processed sense it's fresh.

they DO have the pre-made ... Cordon bleu, specialty burgers, meatloafs and the like ... but i was speaking more to 'ready for the grill/smoker' type stuff ... such as fajita meat and the like.

Yea they have those too. I saw some shrimp ones today but I don't have a grill so I dont buy the kabobs. I've bought the pre-marinated fajita meat though.

pecan or mesquite-smoked/grilled.

to die for good ... sliced thinly and wrapped with accompaniments in a freshly-made flour tortilla - topped with roasted salsa, sour cream and fresh chopped cilantro - the best.

MMMM sounds good.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I really need to get a crock pot, my days are so busy I usually don't get home till 9:30 and starting to cook dinner at 9:30 and be showered and in bed by 11:00 is hard during the week, and puts some limits on my cooking. I usually end up eating rice with peanuts because I have a rice cooker and can just let it do it's thing while I'm enjoying an hour of relaxing from the day, but it would be sweet to have some meat and veggies cooking while I'm at work to add to the rice. This thread has motivated me to get a slow cooker.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Drezden
I really need to get a crock pot, my days are so busy I usually don't get home till 9:30 and starting to cook dinner at 9:30 and be showered and in bed by 11:00 is hard during the week, and puts some limits on my cooking. I usually end up eating rice with peanuts because I have a rice cooker and can just let it do it's thing while I'm enjoying an hour of relaxing from the day, but it would be sweet to have some meat and veggies cooking while I'm at work to add to the rice. This thread has motivated me to get a slow cooker.

You can make almost anything in a crock pot!

My husband is overseas on a tiny remote island. They feed them there but the food is HORRID, worse than cafeteria food. He can't have a stove because they are like barracks and it's a fire hazard. So I got him a crock pot and helped him with recipes to cook out there. I send him the ingredients and recipe and what I can't send he gets there or substitutes.

I love crock pots because you just toss it all in and let it cook! I have made items where I let it cook all day while I'm gone. I know many freak over that but in all my years of a crock pot on low I've never burned the house down!

One thing i found to be really good in a crock pot is meatloaf. I had made a huge 3lb meat loaf at a friends house years ago and when i went to put it in the oven wasn't working. The heating element went out! So I put it in the crock pot. It took about 8 hrs but it was so damn good and moist. I took the juices and made a gravy out of it too.

You should check second hand shops, you can get a crock pot for a few bucks. I got my husband one for $5 bucks!

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Here is a pic of what I did with it.

Tonight Im going to put some in flour tortillas, roll them up and make a kind of enchilada with them. MMMMM.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

UHM ...

You kinda forgot to tell me when to be there.

that looks delishhhhh...

i cooked off some chicken thighs the other night, added a 4 servicng bag of rice, can of beans, onions, tomatoes, and cilantro .... brought it all together. pulled and shredded the chicken from the thighs. yum..... now i'll be eatin that for the next 3-5 days ... gotta get more tortillas, lime, onion and cilantro, though

good stuff, And*

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

That sounds good!! Yea I love cilantro!

Last night I put the mixture in some flour tortilla's and rolled them like enchilada's and baked them. I pour some of the chicken mixture on top as well as some enchilada sauce. I also added some green verde sauce I had too. I topped it with cheese and cilantro and baked it at 350 for 20mins. It was delicious!!

I am going to freeze the rest. If i eat it again I'll probably have heartburn lol I can use it up when my husband comes home, he will definitely like it.

top topics

join