It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark Matter May be Inside Extra Dimensions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Two of the biggest mysteries in physics are: where is all the dark matter that scientists know is in the universe but can't see?�and are there extra dimensions beyond the 3 we can see? A team of scientists now think these mysteries may be connected. "For the most part, these two questions have been treated separately in the past, and for the first time we're making a direct link," says Konstantin Matchev. "We're suggesting that the dark matter may be due to extra dimensions."
This could lead to the first concrete evidence of dark matter, which may make up 30% of the universe. Evidence of its existence comes from the difference between the rate galaxies rotate and the number of stars within them. There aren't enough stars or planets to account for the speed, meaning dark matter must also be present, but no one knows what it's made of or where it is.

www.unknowncountry.com...

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider

This could lead to the first concrete evidence of dark matter, which may make up 30% of the universe.
www.unknowncountry.com...

From what I've researched on anti-matter it actually makes up 90% of the universe. Has anyone else that has researched this verify?

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Also, is there a difference between dark-matter and anti-matter?

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Dark mater is unaccounted, mass and gravitational forces, that can�t be seen. In the past we found that for the universe to work there would have to be some were around 13 other dimensions (I am not sure I read this information 2 years ago or so). The effects that have been noticed so far are very small but if dark matter is a effect of �matter� that exists in the other dimensions it would be very amazing.

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Other dimensions are totally believable. We only see three dimensions because that's all our eyes allows us to see. The universe could look a whole lot differant to a creature that can see in the 4th dimension and beyond.

This brings up a very interesting subject. A friend once suggested to me that everything in the universe is nothing but a sea of photons.

And another thing, though a little off topic. A quantum theory I believe, stating that there are an infinite number of realites based on the decisions and paths people don't take.

Science is cool...

[Edited on 20-5-2003 by Thorfinn Skullsplitter]

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Another (more boring) theory about dark matter is that this "missing mass" is present in nertrinos. Nertrinos are so abundant that a tiny neutrino rest order on the order of 20 eV would furnish this missing mass and therefore "close" the universe.

A lot of research is going on in this area. Pretty interesting stuff.

posted on May, 22 2003 @ 09:34 AM
link   
yes, anti-matter does indeed, according to BBCi, make up 90% of our universe.
Link

posted on May, 22 2003 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeaBass
Another (more boring) theory about dark matter is that this "missing mass" is present in nertrinos. Nertrinos are so abundant that a tiny neutrino rest order on the order of 20 eV would furnish this missing mass and therefore "close" the universe.

A lot of research is going on in this area. Pretty interesting stuff.

Hey Seabass and all,

Here is some reading on neutrinos. There are some strange things in the universe and this could be one of them.

posted on May, 22 2003 @ 09:41 AM
link   
sorry, forgot the link.

link here

posted on May, 23 2003 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Have you ever wonder if dark-mater is actually what anti-mater releases as waste.

Their is a question I wanter to ask you member. Is a black hole sucking in things and releasing something at the other end, and maybe thats your dark-mater, then again, I haven't slept in a long timeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Zzzzzzz.

As my last statement, How do we even know that dark matter exist, the only thing I can figure is that The Unified Field Theory maybe able to solve how darkmatter is made.

posted on May, 23 2003 @ 02:07 AM
link   
"Dark Matter" is the term given to describe the discrepancies in current knowledge. No telling when they will figure out what it is.

posted on May, 23 2003 @ 06:42 AM
link   
If you're willing to keep clicking, there's a decent primer on the subject here.
www.astro.queensu.ca...

[Edited on 23-5-2003 by Estragon]

posted on May, 23 2003 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Tehre's always the risk of looneydom when one's dealing with what is -by definition -"undetectable"; but a pretty respectable British academic site on the topic is here:
hepwww.rl.ac.uk...

posted on May, 30 2003 @ 07:43 PM
link   
string theory seems to indicate there are between 9 and 11 dimensions here on earth

--------------------
A New Slice on Physics
--------------------

Is the world we see trapped on a thin membrane separating us from vast other realms? Some scientists say that would explain a lot.

By K.C. Cole
Times Staff Writer

May 17 2003

Plato considered it first.

The complete article can be viewed at:
www.latimes.com...

Visit Latimes.com at www.latimes.com...

posted on May, 30 2003 @ 10:38 PM
link   
"There could be a big blue elephant sitting not a millimeter away in another dimension, but we wouldn't know it's there because everything we use to "see" is stuck to our brane."

Substitute "big blue elephant" for incubus, shadow, spirit, alien, archangel, demon, elf, alternate self, higher dimensional being etc...

Scientific support for all of these creatures.

posted on May, 30 2003 @ 11:15 PM
link   
exactly, it's stuck to your brane
solution- eliminate brane to reveal reality

top topics

join