It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is "organized" religion?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

wildtimes
reply to post by WarminIndy

But I think as an Episcopalian, you were really insensitive to her expression. She didn't do anything to you, so why get all up in arms over her signing the Cross while she was reading?

Indy,
I was not the one who saw the lady on the train. That was winofiend. (And he certainly wasn't "all up in arms" over it. Kindly refrain from exaggerating and projecting onto other members.
)

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if a lady is reading the Bible and crossing herself - I would simply feel sorry for her that she was missing the view, and so immersed in her reading that she wasn't really tuned in to "life in the moment."
edit on 9/25/13 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

Thank you for correcting me.

But the point about Genuflection is that I have never seen Protestants do this. If you say Episcopalians do this, then they do it. But maybe she was reading something that she needed for her life at that moment? Perhaps she was going through something that she needed comfort for. We don't know, so let's not project or exaggerate on her either.

She may have been tuned in to her life, that's why she needed to get a clear message. We tend to be immersed in ATS thread responses that maybe we are not tuned into life around us?

You don't know either what the woman had going on in her life at that moment. What if she just had a loved one who died, or a child that was ill, or perhaps maybe she was dumped by a boyfriend, we don't know. But she found comfort in what she was doing, so let's allow her to find what she was seeking for in her life at that moment. It doesn't mean she was tuned out, rather she was tuning in.

This week in my life, I went to the funeral of a stillborn baby and watched his mother cry. I prayed for a 10 year-old girl lying in the hospital waiting for the test results to say whether or not she has cancer. A lady that lives in my building that I knew well died suddenly this weekend in her apartment. She was not found until Monday. But this is part of the life we live, death comes. We can't judge people because we think they are tuned out of life, sometimes people need a way to deal with things and if they find comfort in rituals then let's allow them that much.

Maybe she was taking an inward view. Introspection is not such a bad thing.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

I agree with everything you said there,
and yes, we have no idea what the lady's state of mind, needs, or problems were at that moment.

I totally recant my statement in that regard (that she was not "tuned in").

My goodness, its sounds like you have had quite a coaster-ride over the last few days. I do understand needing to introspect - I frequently go into "silent hermit" mode myself - and from time to time feel "all sucked in."

Each of us suffers, in our way, and in our time; I believe that each of us is doing our level best at every moment to cope with the difficulties of life. ... even what seems "evil" or "unconscionable" to most might be seen as redemptive or soothing to others. I don't understand this, and I hold the mentally ill apart from that (as opposed to the neurotic). Most of us - if not ALL - are 'neurotic' to some degree or another. Few of us are down-right "insane."

Anyway, thanks for your kind response.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Firewater

That was beautiful man, thanks for the insight.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

WarminIndy
But the point about Genuflection is that I have never seen Protestants do this. If you say Episcopalians do this, then they do it.

Those who believe Christ is truly present - body, blood, soul and divinity - in the Eucharist (or Holy Communion), will acknowledge His presence in the eucharist that is in the sanctuary (or tabernacle) by genuflecting or bowing towards where He is.

Catholics genuflect. High Episcopalians genuflect. Orthodox believe in the 'True Presence' of Christ but I don't know if they genuflect or bow.

Other protestants ... Baptist, Methodist, Church of Christ, etc ... do not believe in transubstantiation (Catholic) or consubstantiation (Episcopal) so they do not genuflect or bow towards the eucharist (communion) that is in the sanctuary.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Religion=If I do this then God will do that.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I understand organized religion as a religion that has a hierarchy of clergy. There are many religions with ritual and law that are not "organized religions".

It would be a miracle if for once on ATS (and most other places) that a good question as was asked in the OP could be answered and discussed without the derision or typical small minded religion hate. I envision a hell being the religious haters and condescending folks having the tar beat out of them by very wide brushes.. with the obligatory fire and stuff in the background for ambiance.
Then again Im a heathen... what do I know.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

intrptr

That was beautiful man, thanks for the insight.

No problem. Thank you for the compliment.

I believe that the biggest issue we have, as human beings, is the extreme differences between groups of people. Culture and religion are the primary culprits. The cultural differences can be overcome, or at least easily tolerated. But, religious beliefs and the societies built around those beliefs, have been at odds from day one.

For some reason, we seem unable to accept, or respect, those with different views than our own. The common thought seems to be that, if you're not "my religion" then you're anti-"my religion". And if you're anti-"my religion" then that, in fact, makes you my enemy. Thus, judgement, discrimination, hatred and separation occur.

I believe that our advancing technology will eventually break down these barriers. With an increasing ease of access to information on the internet. Along with a rise in communications between people from all areas of the globe. The process of removing the brainwash may take awhile. But, I think that it is only a matter of time before we begin to accept those with differing beliefs. And once this happens, before long, even the oldest, most deeply ingrained religions will become obsolete. Now. Will we be around long enough to get through this process? ???????

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Like you said culture and religion. Maybe add race and "conditioning" by the government with conquest in mind. Highlighting the differences is good for portraying others as the enemy. Differences in skin color, culture and especially religion are the primary means of doing that. And who can argue since we have been programmed to believe "God" is on our side?

I think nowadays that sentiment is so strong, so totally pervasive that we are more controlled (like Pavlov's dog) than ever before. I was on a thread last night about an "incident" between an Iranian fighter jet and American aircraft and it saddened me to see how militaristic we are. I like to think ATS is supposed to be exposing that on here instead of fostering it. And thats all we can do I guess. Set another example more peaceful and non reactionary when we can.

Like I see you doing. I really dig your Avatar and signature, too.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join