It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How about a thread merge feature

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
When someone creates what is a duplicate thread for a topic most of the time a mod closes it and points members to the first thread. This basically leaves some posts orphaned since the discussion moves to the first thread.

Can a feature be created for the mods to use to add the posts from these closed thread(s) to the one that is open.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Enterprising idea but would ATS's back-end be able to support it? I like it though. It would near eliminate duplicate threads, but might create problems such as what exactly determines a "duplicate thread". I have seen that applied quite liberally in some cases and stringent in others.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Other forums have such a feature.

Not stating it stops people from creating dup threads, but if a thread is closed to posting because the mods want the posts in another thread of the same subject then the closed thread posts could be added.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
While it's true that other forums have the feature, most forums are not running singularity systems for each database table. If memory serves right each expansion of the board is operating on its own system. I'm not sure how many systems are used for the posts/threads tables - but if more than one or two are used - it's likely not a task that is really logical.

Honestly, I'd be more satisfied with the moderating team being given the option to insert an automatic post in a specified thread (using the TID) which states that a similar topic was started and continuing in the thread ongoing.
edit on 26.9.2013 by Shugo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Posts can be added and deleted, so it should be possible. I suppose others don't mind entering a post only to find the thread is then declared defunct and locked making the post basically overlooked and orphaned from the topic. Just a thought.

It might just involve changing the thread ID. Anyway, maybe someone who knows the DB structure could say whether or not it could be done even if the board would rather just leave dup'd topics as is.
edit on 9/26/2013 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

top topics

join