It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jack the Ripper mystery solved ??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

A story from The Express Newspaper Published September 21, 2013 in the U.K - another "Solved the Jack the Ripper article".

I have always been fascinated by the "Jack the Ripper Story" having read many books and watched many documentary's on the subject, the internet also has an abundance of websites dedicated to the topic.
It now seems that a U.K Detective by the name of Trevor Marriott (a former murder squad detective with Bedfordshire police) Thinks he has solved the case...... I wonder.

I have posted some links appertaining to the original ripper case and the recent newspaper article for those ATS members unfamiliar with its history.

The Jack the Ripper mystery that has kept the world enthralled since the killer first struck on the streets of Victorian London has been blown apart on the 125th anniversary of the grisly crimes by a former murder squad detective.

And the bad news for the countless millions of amateur sleuths who have spent years trying to identify the nation’s most notorious serial killer is that he never existed.

He was just dreamed up by a drunken journalist called Thomas Bulling who wrote a forged letter to Scotland Yard in 1888 pretending to be “Jack” so he could obtain a scoop.

More than 300 books and dozens of films and TV programmes have named in excess of 100 different men, often on the flimsiest of evidence, as the serial murderer who slashed the throats of five women who he then disembowelled, bringing terror to the gas lit streets of Whitechapel.

The suspects have included everyone from Queen Victoria’s grandson the Duke of Clarence to Alice in Wonderland author Lewis Carroll.

Some even said a Sioux Indian warrior called Black Elk, who toured Britain with Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show in the 1880s, was the guilty man. Others believed child charity campaigner Dr Barnardo was “Jack”.

But Trevor Marriott, a former murder squad detective with Bedfordshire police, has spent 11 years carrying out a detailed cold-case review of the killings, he has trawled Scotland Yard’s files and used modern-day police techniques backed up with state of the art forensic analysis.

“The facts of this case have been totally distorted over the years,” said Mr Marriott.

“The general public have been completely misled by any number of authors and publishers.

“Jack is supposed to be responsible for five victims, but there were other similar murders before and after the ones attributed to him, both in this country and abroad in America and Germany.”

In total Mr Marriott has discovered 17 unsolved Ripper-like murders committed between 1863 and 1894. He believes a German merchant seaman called Carl Feigenbaum was responsible for some, but not all of those killings.

Feigenbaum was a crew member on ships that regularly docked near Whitechapel. He was executed in New York in 1896 after being caught by US police fleeing the scene of a Ripper-style murder there.

Jack the Ripper Locations (Then and Now)

Jack the Ripper mystery solved (Express Newspaper)

Jack the Ripper Casebook (Great source of Information)

The Complete History of Jack the Ripper by Philip Sugden (Best Book)

edit on 9/24/13 by bluebook because: Spell Correct

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by bluebook

I've always been intrigued by this myself but...

It's about time they let it go , this will never be solved conclusively to everyone's satisfaction.

Best we try and catch the murderers and rapists that are still out there now

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Im bumping this because its a decent piece of work. Didn't some people think it was the queens son?.
Now I have to go to bed.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by skonaz

Absolutely 125 years past...... no one will ever know.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I thought it was widely believed to have been linked to one of the royals! Why has this new guy to be believed?
Is it because he's got a new book just out?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

VoidHawk
I thought it was widely believed to have been linked to one of the royals! Why has this new guy to be believed?
Is it because he's got a new book just out?

Not widely ,

Just one of the hundreds of conclusions that have been made.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

Correct Prince Albert was a "suspect" one of the many.

Prince Albert Victor

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

The kind of humorous thing about this is that he's basically doing the same thing that innumerable authors and historians have done before him--making a claim about who the serial killer behind the killings may have been. That said, this particular theory seems to be more plausible given the cited circumstances than suggestions of *insert famous person from the time period here* being the perpetrator.

Interesting tidbit about the letter though. I could totally see that happening as aren't most serial killers given their names by journalists (with the exception of the Zodiac).

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

It was indeed the fledgling gutter press who compounded the "Ripper" lore simply because it sold newspapers, they did indeed give him his name - your right as regards to the "Zodiac Killer" He named himself.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

You mean it wasn't the Salvatore brother from the Vampire Diaries?

Jokes aside, it seems as if this Carl Feigenbaum has never really been vindicated and has remained on the list of suspects. Potentially a breakthrough yes, to have this published. Yet, there will always be those who hold on to the mystery for the scare factor.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MysteriousHusky

The Ripper case sells books DVDs, movies you name it and all because People love a good mystery especially if it is unsolved.

Is this the face of Jack the Ripper?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   

bluebook

The Ripper case sells books DVDs, movies you name it and all because People love a good mystery especially if it is unsolved.

Is this the face of Jack the Ripper?

Not to mention all the spinoff works in literature, tv, and video games. There possibly is a profit in maintaining an unsolved mystery rather than just saying "that person did it. Case closed."

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Spot on MysteriousHusky one needs look no further than say the "JFK Assassination" for a good story that keeps on going, in 20 years they will still be coming up with suspects for both the JFK and Jack the Ripper senarios.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
CARL FERDINAND FEIGENBAUM

This theory claims Jack the Ripper was actually Carl Feigenbaum

CARL FERDINAND FEIGENBAUM CASE FILE

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Have you ever heard about the psychopathic killer H.H Holmes(hope I spelled the name right). The man went on killing spree during the Chicago World Fair.I believe that his hand writing was matched to that of Jack The Ripper's and that he may have committed the murders in London BEFORE he built his infamous "Murder Castle" in Chicago.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWetCoast

@TheWetCoast I read a book recently called "The Devil in the White City" about H.H. Holmes another Ripper suspect the book is being made into a Movie with Leonardo DiCaprio

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Surely a journalist would have been able to spell 'jews' correctly?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

redshoes

Surely a journalist would have been able to spell 'jews' correctly?

I imagine you mean ‘The Juwes are not the men that will be blamed for nothing.’
Im not saying the press invented Jack the Ripper, but they definitely added to the legend !!

Police copy of writing in Goulston Street, attached to Chief Commissioner Sir Charles Warren's report on the circumstances surrounding the murder of Catherine Eddowes in Mitre Square 30 September 1888.
edit on 9/24/13 by bluebook because: Addition of Text

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

bluebook

Spot on MysteriousHusky one needs look no further than say the "JFK Assassination" for a good story that keeps on going, in 20 years they will still be coming up with suspects for both the JFK and Jack the Ripper senarios.

JMHO. but I think you know as well as I do, and some others, that this is a case of absolute revisionist history, and my claiming that will get me branded insane. Oh well. But that's what it likely is. He's out there, always has been, is in many places at once, as you are and I am, as well. Great OP, just for the "thinking" element.....ahh, this matrix is unending. In other words, his expertise and getting away with his murderous spirit hinges, entirely upon the matrix we are living within, and no, no one has caught him, nor will, I'm afraid in this lifetime or any other soon. I have a feeling you know this, as you've referenced his crime along with JFK's assassination, which tells me what I need to know about what you know.....but perhaps everyone knows this truth here and now. They will still be coming up with those suspects because he is making us all suspect.....
Tetra50

edit on 24-9-2013 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Here is a fairly good video on the subject.

Jack the Ripper is the best-known name given to an unidentified serial killer who was active in the largely impoverished areas in and around the Whitechapel district of London in 1888. The name originated in a letter, written by someone claiming to be the murderer, that was disseminated in the media. The letter is widely believed to have been a hoax, and may have been written by a journalist in a deliberate attempt to heighten interest in the story. Within the crime case files as well as journalistic accounts the killer was known as "the Whitechapel Murderer" as well as "Leather Apron".

Jack the Ripper - Source Wikipedia

top topics

<<   2 >>

join