It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunday Church at a Bar. Jackson MI Hometown madness... Publicity stunt? Marketing Brilliance or some

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
www.mlive.com...

Ah Jackson MI. does it again. We brought you people the "Coney Dog", The "Republican party" and "Rockapoolza."- Jackson MI> is a strange and mysterious place in many ways and one of the only Cities I would want to live in.

From my Downtown Apartment I have a very nice Strip with lots of night life in a safe and active area with a myriad of things to do... I can WALK to Rockapoolza, the techno-fest , the free concerts at Bucky harris park, enjoy street dancing . one of the major Auto shows and even have seen the Stanley Cup just feet outside my front door. I have the best parts of living in the inner City but am a mere short drive to some of the best Buck Hunting in the nation as our city is surrounded by Forests and Country (no urban sprawl- Just a city in the middle of nowhere) more inland lakes than you can shake a stick at (The Irish Hills has 52 Lakes there alone and is 20 mins away) etc...etc...etc...

I also LOVE my city...

But we also have some extremely weird # happens here. Yes, we have "crime" and "murders" and many of the same issues faced by other cities- But OUR murders are usually FAR crazier.

(I know, I promised a story about "Church at a bar" but thats coming...Bear with me a moment-)

How some of our interesting News never comes up Nationwide (which is strange in and of itself-) In the last couple years we have had some strange cases.

Most recently the Kid who talked with Demons, watched his Dad transform into a "she-devil", killed his Mother and then bathes in her blood with her intestines hanging around his neck like a necklace...

www.mlive.com...

Ronald Grow said he came home about 7 p.m. from his work as a barber to find his wife on the kitchen floor. Her body was cold, he said, speaking softly and slowly. He checked her pulse.

He said he called for his son and found him fully clothed in the bathtub with his mother’s intestines wrapped around his neck.

“I said to him… ‘Kellen, what have you done?’” Ronald Grow testified.

“I said, ‘Do you realize what you’ve done? Do you realize we are never going to be a family again? Do you realize in a couple minutes, they are going to come take you away from me too?’”

Or Last year the case of the Crossdresser who thought his neighbor was a witch so he beat her door down and decapitated her while nobody heard a thing in large apartment complex..

www.mlive.com...

"The day I took that woman's life it was a heart decision as best as I could discern," Kwaske told Dr. Priya K. Rao, a licensed psychologist who interviewed him in April at the forensic center. A "heart decision," Kwaske explained, was a choice made by opening his heart.
"It was not vengeance. I was just stopping something that was dangerous to the world and to me."

Kwaske told Rao and Dr. Stephen C. Cook, a board certified psychiatrist who interviewed him at the request of the prosecution, he killed Meeks because he feared she would kill him and bring about Armageddon. He said Meeks was possessed by demons, and he could feel their negative energy. Kwaske also feared the man who lived across the hall from him at Reed Manor.

Or the Case of the restaurant Owner who killed his wife and probably fed her to...nevermind that one... But you get the point. We have some crazy # happen here for being a small City-

NOW... I bring you some more crazy news from Jackson MI.

A CHURCH is going to begin holding service in a bar...

To be fair, this is more of a Winery, Brewery than a "Bar" and is actually a beautiful place TO PARTY AT. But...But... What the Hell are they thinking?

Is this a brilliant marketing gimmick or has my City went completely mad? I am NOT a Christian BTW and I support a business's right to do whatever they want since its a free nation still, kind of... But this is still offensive to me as both an Agnostic and a partyer.

What the hell- This is a major venue here that hosts Live Entertainment - I planned on HOOKING UP here- Now what? Is it sacrilegious to feel sexual desire for the scantily clad Ho while dancing on the dance fl- Er... The Church floor? I mean, what the hell is wrong with this picture- Its so many ways wrong...

And then- And then..This "Preacher" says the funniest # I have ever heard a Preacher say... he says..

“The idea of not mixing Jesus and alcohol is kind of an old-school one that isn’t part of the scripture – I mean, Jesus’s first miracle was turning water into wine and it was the best wine at the party,”

I mean? Really LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL- You cant make this # up.

www.mlive.com...

So. I am asking you all what your opinions are... Is our whole city mad? Do you like this idea? Is this marketing or a Preacher trying to save us all?

-Personally, I think my city went totally mad.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DarKPenguiN

This will revolutionize the bible belt! I'd go listen if I could drink... but it could lead somewhere dark if the preacher decided to lead a drunken congregation to hateful conclusions.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Jesus Christ man! From murder to church in a bar, I don't care if it's all in 1 city those things are on different sides of the spectrum and may require additional threads! However, a Church can be held anywhere - even in one's own mind. Therefore a church in a bar might not be that bad of an idea depending on how strict you are about the confines and parameters as to what defines a church.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MysteriousHusky

LOL I wasnt trying to actually say that those things were in the same 'league' I am more wanting someone to draw a conclusion about Demon Possession so the conversation will get better. Then liken it to the church being corrupted and all that jazz....I am hoping to hear what a "fire and brimstone" type has to say (I mean, I am interested in what you all have to say too- But a 'fire and brimston-er" will be waaay more fun.)

I would personally find it offensive if I were a Christian- I am not so...

But okay- So far a positive response for having Church in a bar. Thats interesting... I still see this as negative and kind of crass- But...

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Well yeah I was trying to be open-minded. To play devil's advocate, pun intended, you could say the correlation between the murders is directly related to the lack of morality. However, correlation does not = causation and that was me playing devil's advocate.

It reminds me of the kind of town that might be featured in a supernatural-thriller.
edit on 24-9-2013 by MysteriousHusky because: addition

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Our church when I was little and forced to go was in the woods next to a stream with just a little lean-to that covered the alter. We sat on the rocks and it was really beautiful.

Don't think "church" has to be in any particular place. That's not what it's about, I reckon.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
WOW- Someone made a Blog post and the pastor responded.

thoughtcatalog.com/2013/5-questions-i-have-about-going-to-church-in-a-bar/

"Hey! I'm John Voelz. The pastor in question. Great post. And, hilarious.

Well, you have the questions so here are some answers (although your rhetorical humor wasn't lost on me).

Great story in the bible about Jesus turning the water in to wine. It actually wasn’t the only wine at the party—not that I want to correct you, but it’s an important note. I grew up in religious environments where everyone shunned alcohol and tried to say Jesus must have made Welch’s because he couldn’t have possibly made strong drink. But, in the story, they took Jesus’ wine to the guy running the banquet and he
said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.” Jesus didn’t make 3-buck Chuck. Apparently, it won the gold.

Anyway . .
1. Yes. Order a drink. No poison. We are big fans of the craft brews this place is making. And, we’re proud of Michigan being part of the whole movement.

2. How much is too much? That’s up to you. I’m not the sin police.

3. Yeah, I’ll drink. Probably have a meal with my friends after and enjoy an oatmeal stout. They don’t serve scotch since it’s a brewpub only but, if they did, I’m a fan of the Balvenie Doublewood.

4. If I’m drunk, we have a problem. I won’t tell you when to stop drinking but I give you permission to tell me. I don’t want to be an ass. In public or anywhere. Hopefully I learned some lessons from my mom punching my drunk dad in the face as a kid.

5. If I do good with number 4 above, problem solved. If not, call my wife. And my dad. I’ll need a job (and possibly a new reputation and set of friends)."

-Guy sounds alright.... Thats a pretty funny response from a Preacher.

top topics

join