It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stargate Command - Calling out all the SG Fans.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Stargate: The Motion Picture

Stargate SG1: SG1
Stargate Atlantis: SGA
Stargate Universe: SGU

stargate.mgm.com...

Many Stargate productions have come out of the franchise over the years, dating back to 1994 with the original motion picture. IMDB

Budget
$55,000,000 (estimated)

Opening Weekend
$16,600,000 (USA)

Gross
$71,565,669 (USA)
£8,723,023 (UK) (19 February 1995)
£3,020,239 (UK) (22 January 1995)
$14,800,350 (UK)
$196,600,000 (Worldwide)
$125,000,000 (Worldwide) (except USA)
$13,428,600 (Italy)
SEK 8,895,339 (Sweden)

I remember back then the movie was underrated, and frankly I can't remember it even being in theatres, but it was at my aunt's house when I found the movie on VHS, and I remember watching it back to back 3 or 4 times. It was one of my favourite movies of my early teen years.

The box office shows it made a minor play, but the attention was long to come, turning to a cult following which spurred three TV shows one of which had a ten year run and pretty much launched a SciFi channel.

In any case, I'm looking for the opinions of Stargate fans, and what they would have done differently with the series. What changes would you have made to each franchise to make them better? As two of them (Atlantis, SGU) were cut from the air pretty early in the lifetime of the show (long before the full potential could be reached) it's pretty clear that nearly every fan has an opinion on this subject.

I'd like to hear them.

SG:1

The series was great. I had a hard time accepting RDA as Colonel O'Neill at first, because of the major differences in character, yet, it turned out to be the best play for the lifetime of the series. The lighthearted approach RDA had to the role made the Character pivotal to the show overall, dropping in a few laughs here and there when it definitely needed it.

The only thing I'd change on this series would be:

A quicker transition when the old SG1 switched over to the new one (around season 7&8?) and bring in the Ori a little quicker. There was at least 3 or 4 seasons worth of material the Ori could have brought in, but instead it was rushed at the end, and we had to watch the straight to DVD movie to get a conclusion.

Another story arc that could have been developed more is the Goaold infiltration on Earth. After they were defeated they could have completely shifted their methods making them more of a subversive enemy fighting in the shadows. Essentially this did happen with the Trust, etc. BUT, way more material could have been made under this premise.

Also, they should have done more funny episodes, like episode 200, Wormhole X-treme, etc. The in-jokes and the absurdness was great in some of those episodes. Citizen Joe gets a thumbs up from me as well.

SGA - Stargate Atlantis

Okay, seriously, stop making bad guys seem so incredibly invincible and then beat them with some half assed plan by accident. Or, set up these huge ass scenarios that have simple solutions but make the team do a million dumb, impossible things so it all fits into place and "somehow" they win every time.

There were so many altercations with the Genii where I was just sitting there thinking, uh... Call the ship from home and have them beam off all the Genii higher ups into the brig, or outerspace for that matter!! Seriously, some backwards, screwed up race similar to Hitler's Third Reich and you can't whoop their asses with beaming technology? Give me a break.

Another one on this one was casting. Weir was annoying as hell. I usually mute the TV everytime she tries giving one of those signature "heart felt" speeches warning everyone they are gonna die and she's their mother and she loves them, and they're brave and she loves their struggle, and they are so brave and they have courage, oh did I mention she said they are brave. *Pukes*

Worst woman character ever!

SGU

Universe was extremely underrated. It got crapped on because of the slow pace and the very dark theme it had. It was by far however, one of the best Stargate shows done.

It is really in another category altogether. For me, the realism was great. BUT, the whole "being on the brink of death" and coming back every episode got old fast. The second season was much better than the first, but they could have improved it greatly along the whole way.

It's too bad it was cancelled.

It would have been nice if they somehow found a way for Destiny to get restored to original condition, similar to how the shuttle was. Perhaps if that god race, which sent back the shuttle had also mentioned to them "You're on the right track" it would have added some weight to the whole "searching for god's message in the fabric of the universe".

Some of the continuity is hard to grasp comparing it to the other series. Like the Destiny is supposedly millions of years old, but it has some technology that outdoes Atlantis. And vice-versa. And where did the Destiny people go? And why did some ascend and others not? There are so many questions raised with the Alterans that it's hard to have a simple understanding. Destiny had been flying for how long but it's in what galaxy now? What data did it get in the years it had been going in auto pilot? What information was in Atlantis about Destiny? Etc... A million questions pop up when you think about it.

I like all the characters.. they were amazing.

The only thing that could have made it better is a little more action outside the ship, outside influences, AND, if they had actually gave them some winning scenarios. I mean, give em a couple allies, a fighting chance. Give them new technologies they actually get to use.

Atlantis and SGU kind of suffered the same thing. Any time they got any cool powers or abilities, something would happen to destroy those, reset them back to zero and often beyond.

It's like watching someone in a sinking ship and as soon as they patch one hole in the boat, 3 more spring up because they used tape to patch it.

Bloody annoying.

Okay, Now it's your turn. Go!
edit on 24-9-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Damn, I thought there was a video game coming out!

I liked them all but, like you, I thought SGU was really well done, Atlantis was great too and SG1 was SG1, what's not to like? (maybe Sam getting a little big for her britches)

edit on 24-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

In any case, I'm looking for the opinions of Stargate fans, and what they would have done differently with the series.

I really loved the show. However the show suffered from repetitive boringness.

Each episode was let's dial a planet. Go nose about some. Something happens and they escape at the nick of time.

It got old after a while.

I stopped watching even though there was some attempt at a plotline. But it was a little too little too late.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Great thread! I am a HUGE stargate fan. I like the series better than most other SCI-FI series including battlestar galactica, star trek, etc.

I have seen all series but my favorite is always SG-1. I think the attitude and comedic ability of Richard Dean Anderson made the whole thing.

I think that people love stargate so much because it has a hint of realism to it where we could imaging a secret government program doing just what they do. It makes it more believable and makes you want to watch more to see what kind of planet they discover next.

I wish they were still making more I was sad when it ended.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

boncho

SGU

Universe was extremely underrated. It got crapped on because of the slow pace and the very dark theme it had. It was by far however, one of the best Stargate shows done.

It's too bad it was cancelled.

And where did the Destiny people go? And why did some ascend and others not? There are so many questions raised with the Alterans that it's hard to have a simple understanding.

Stargate Universe rocked, loved that show and was really disappointed it was cancelled. Traumatized even.

Supposedly Destiny was launched long before the Ancients ascended and they were going to use the onboard stargate to get aboard when they were ready. That info comes from the season 3 scripts I downloaded and which explained everything. It even wrapped the story up so season 3 would have been the final anyway. Really bummed it never got filmed.
edit on 24-9-2013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

boncho
I can't remember it even being in theatres

It was definitely in theaters. Me and several friends watched it the first weekend it came out. And it was an amazing movie. After the movie was over, we were discussing how much potential that movie had for sequels and possibly a TV show.

Now, that movie has spawned 3 TV series, and several more movies.

There isn't a whole lot to discuss about SG1 or SGA as far as what we could have changed. I wish there was more exploring in both. And with the technology that the SGA crew had at their disposal, the only people that could have and did put up a fight were the Wraith. Others like the Genii shouldn't have stood a chance against the technologies of Atlantis.

boncho
Weir was annoying as hell

I've never heard anyone say that before. I did not like the first Weir, the blonde one that originally cast on SG1 before she was taken out and the current one replaced here for the first season of SGA.

Although Dr. Weir could be a little too patronizing at times, she did her job and she did it well.

And then there's this right here:

boncho

Not only the best Stargate show ever done, it was one of the best sci-fi series ever created with so much potential.

I was just discussing this with Mblah in chat the other day. While the first season started off slow and had its boring parts, the second season really took off with more drama, emotion, and storyline.

I didn't get to watch Universe on TV like I did SG1 and SGA, but when it was out on DVD, I purchased both seasons as a set and I literally watched the entire series 3 times in a row over and over because it was so good. The only reason I stopped after 3 is because I didn't want to burn myself out on the show.

That show was so good, and it was so disappointing that they cancelled it after it got so good, that I couldn't watch anything sci-fi for months afterwards. I guess I also was "traumatized" that it got cancelled like Bassago mentioned above.

There was so, so much potential for that show, and it is very disappointing even to this day that it was cancelled so soon.

Stargate was and is one of my most favorite sci-fi shows. And since Stargate went off air, there haven't been hardly any sci-fi shows that could replace it, or have interested me.

edit on 24-9-2013 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Loved SG-1, as long as, RDA was on it started to drag at the end but I finished it out. Also like Atlantis wasnt as good as SG-1 though. SGU I never gave a true shot I was totally disgusted with the Sci-fi I mean SYFY channel at that point. They totally lost their identity for a while. Jack was great also was glad when Daniel came back. "Parker Lewis" didn't rub me the wrong way but it was only right when he returned.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

greencmp

There was a video game in the works at one point in time. It was an FPS MMO. You would have free reign to explore other worlds, fight enemies, and pretty much live in the Stargate world.

The game was also supposed to coincide with the TV shows since SG1 and SGA were on air at the same time. Some of the things happening in the shows were supposed to happen in-game as well.

I was in the early beta of that game and it wasn't too bad, but pretty buggy. They cancelled the game not too long after. I can't remember why as it's been a few years.

There are, however, Stargate mods currently out for other games.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

_BoneZ_

greencmp

There was a video game in the works at one point in time. It was an FPS MMO. You would have free reign to explore other worlds, fight enemies, and pretty much live in the Stargate world.

The game was also supposed to coincide with the TV shows since SG1 and SGA were on air at the same time. Some of the things happening in the shows were supposed to happen in-game as well.

I was in the early beta of that game and it wasn't too bad, but pretty buggy. They cancelled the game not too long after. I can't remember why as it's been a few years.

There are, however, Stargate mods currently out for other games.

Cool, thanks for the info!

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Stargate Atlantis was by far one of the most riveting science-fiction series ever produced. Each season had its fair share of excitement and who could forget such memorable names like

Puddlejumper and

Todd the Wraith

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I'm an avid SG Universe (Not the show) fan so I liked all the productions.

But like most shows, they fall down to "mistakes" or failures of "common sense" only to advance the story elements for that episode/movie.

If there were one thing I would change... It would be to make the shows with common sense and using the entire range of support/features the Universe has.
None of this "Let's not use the 3rd zap of the Zat ALL the time to hide that we were here" crap, let's just let them find the dead bodies and sound the alarm... \o/

It happened in every series and it always pissed me off.

SG:U did get shafted, but I feel they could have done with a few more off ship missions et c.
I also don't get how technology was superior in SG:U than in Atlantis.
When you know Rush is cagey as all hell, why wouldn't you keep an eye on him at all times?!

Between Atlantis and SG-1, you'd think by the 10'th mission gone wrong, they would have assigned a sniper watch to each off world team as well ;\

But for all its flaws... It was an awesome Universe and I hope a talented Writer/Director combo can revive it and do it justice.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
SGU was the best of the shows by far (and I loved SG1 and SGA). I was so upset it was cancelled it broke my heart a little.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
SG-Movie. I loved it. But when watching it again after SG1, it feels off kilter. I prefer the liberties taken with the series. It evolved a lot more interest for me, but the movie still remains the initial starting point.

SG1. The best sci-fi I can recall, in my opinion. It was a little laboured sure, but it was just so inspiring for me, I remember just running with the concepts for hours... that could have also been the naughty things I was watching it with at the time too.. Oooh especially the episode when Daniel was revived in a sarcophagus too many times, didn't need his glasses, and kept the rest of the team in the slave mines promising them to be released soon... I really loved that sort of episode, twisted thinking, confused relationships... The goa'uld and tok'ra came and went, but ba'al always had good stuff
I miss the show, I could have put up with more of it, even if they did really exhaust the premise.

Atlantis. At first, meh. But over time I really got to enjoy the wraith. I liked how the first bad one was called steve. lmao. todd was brilliant in the final double episode. That double episode, to me, was a keeper apart from the series. Just awesome, it had everything... well no time travel.. but oh well. I got a little tired of the constant dragging sg1 characters into it, it seemed contrived and unnecessary. and bringing in wolsely after weir was taken by the replicators made it feel on shaky ground. And the initial episode where the kids on another planet in the pegasus galaxy said "Whoah!" just pissed me off. But it did grow on me, and I thought bad words when they said it was ending, to be replaced by a newer, betterer universe....

SG U. God awful twaddle. But it grew on me. I had no choice. It was all that was left. Stargate became Startrek. the only one keeping that show going was dr rush. snarky sarcastic. But it was all too soppy and bollocky, no decent story. and bam, cancelled. suffice to say I didn't miss that too much. I can't even recall a lot of it, it was really just thrown together as sci-fi became the wrestling channel and changed it's name to syfy. Chloe was pretty hot tho
but that is what google images is for, and not an entire series based on the stargate universe, leaving all of that behind and pretending to focus on the ancients...

Problem with really good sci fi is that it doesnt appeal to the tossers who watch big brother and dancing with the stars. and they are plenty. so they get all the cake. we get the bowl to lick.

i wish I could get into fan fiction.. but it's just not the same...

I have no dhd and I'm stuck, alone, on a desolate planet with only ice to sit on and 1 channel to look at.. and that channel has nothing but sports on it, 36 hours a day...

edit on 24-9-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Ohh I forgot about the ORI.

yes. I loved that angle.

it actually, I thought, reflected current events.... a religion hell bent on converting everyone, destroying those who refuse to accept it, and providing the "only" way to live.

Haha.. but that could have just been my feeble brain..

indeed. *raised eyebrow*

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MysteriousHusky

Todd the Wraith

What about Steve and Bob?

reply to post by _BoneZ_

There was a video game in the works at one point in time.

Sadly most of the games have crapped out before they even had a chance to run. I have an iOs game right now but the controls are kind of crap. We need a decent PS4 game in development by a good developer. Picture the Crysis team making one...

Here's one not many people know about.

Stargate SG3000

So if any of you remember, back when computer generated stuff was in it's infancy, and the novelty of so called "4-D" theatres was still in, there was an Stargate themed one which played out in amusement parks in Germany (or somewhere in Europe). These are those theatres that have moving seats and lights and smoke...

reply to post by _BoneZ_

Although Dr. Weir could be a little too patronizing at times, she did her job and she did it well.

For sure she had some redeeming qualities, but it was just too much touchy-feely "We are gonna make it if we stick together" speeches, that really got under my skin. I don't remember that kind of stuff with SG1. I think I noticed it a bit though in Destiny which was equally annoying, but not from a single character like SGA.

reply to post by Bassago

Supposedly Destiny was launched long before the Ancients ascended and they were going to use the onboard stargate to get aboard when they were ready. That info comes from the season 3 scripts I downloaded and which explained everything. It even wrapped the story up so season 3 would have been the final anyway. Really bummed it never got filmed.

Tell me about it. They could have done so much with SGU through revealing Destiny's intended purpose. They could have made it as impacting as "The Matrix" or something along the same lines. We are talking about a believable premise about the existence of god or a grand architect, intelligence that created life.

For all we know, the Ancients (Alterans) could have discovered we live in a digital universe and that's how they learned to Ascend.

*Mind you I emphasize the "Could" here, I have no idea where the writers wanted to go with that one.

I don't fully trust the Neilson rating system: askville.amazon.com...

There are many sources pegging anywhere from $75 cents to $2.6 per viewer/per episode, in advertising revenue. SGU was drawing anywhere from 1 million to 2 million per episode, but SciFi was screwing the show by scrambling the timeslots all over the place, making it hard for the fanbase to tune in on a set schedule.

In some cases, people like me, like to purchase the seasons outright after they have aired, so that revenue wont be realized for some time. As well, many people in the past waited for syndication before getting into series. Look at Buffy and a couple other shows which drew massive viewership in syndication. All the Stargates are no exception.

I have purchased all the seasons of all the shows even though I've seen nearly all the episodes in syndication or during the original run.

So, I'm just wondering if they took any of this into account. Or the fact that there has to be more than two million SciFi fans... And if not, "Where the hell are they all?"

Seriously...

There's got to be more than two million people willing to watch and keep a Stargate series alive. I understand some shows get cut just for going below 10 million viewers, but the SG series could have stayed active with 5 million. So many crap shows get more than 5 million viewers it's sad SG couldn't have those numbers.

But, as I stated, I feel like if you surveyed the entire population you would find more than what the average ratings were.

The Neilson system of ratings could easily be biased depending on who exactly gets the boxes.
Conspiracy?

Are they killing our shows on purpose!?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I have no dhd and I'm stuck, alone, on a desolate planet with only ice to sit on and 1 channel to look at.. and that channel has nothing but sports on it, 36 hours a day...

I too am stuck on KS7-535

Oooh especially the episode when Daniel was revived in a sarcophagus too many times, didn't need his glasses, and kept the rest of the team in the slave mines promising them to be released soon...

I too loved some episodes like that. Another one of my favourites was the ones where the Ancient database got downloaded into Jack's brain. Or, Merlin's consciousness into Daniel's brain. The Space Race, with Sam helping an Alien. Hmm... The corporate guy who wanted to expose the SGC.

Baals corporate takeover was brilliant. This could have been expanded on way more, they could have had a whole other series entirely based on the corporate world with Goaold infiltration. (Illuminati what?)

Would have been, could have been, (could be) an amazing premise.

The other ones that stood out as the top, best of the best, primo... are the Ascension episodes. I wish Daniel could have stayed in the inbetween part where he gets to keep his powers. Or even Rodney, (The Tao of Rodney), and even if they didn't, maybe just have some more focus on Ascension overall. I'm sure if something like that was discovered in real life they would dedicate a team to its understanding.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Here's a question on the series, and just about every episode. During covert OPS, what the hell is with them not having silencers on their p90s???

For god's sake they exist!

www.youtube.com...
edit on 24-9-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I knew I liked you boncho!!

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

boncho

I too loved some episodes like that. Another one of my favourites was the ones where the Ancient database got downloaded into Jack's brain. Or, Merlin's consciousness into Daniel's brain.

Two of my favorite episodes!! Jack always cracked me up. I love when he finally gets something complicated and gets all excited and Carter is not even phased. I laughed so hard. He was so proud yet she didn't seem impressed. I loved her character too. It was nice to have a smart ass kicking chick in a show.

Or even Rodney, (The Tao of Rodney), and even if they didn't, maybe just have some more focus on Ascension overall. I'm sure if something like that was discovered in real life they would dedicate a team to its understanding.

Ahhh Rodney. I couldn't stand him at first but then he grew on me and I had a crush. He became one of my favs on Atlantis.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Glad to see you came out to this one MBlah! I have all mine through the iTunes store so I can watch them on Apple TV, iPad, iPod Touch, iPhone, I can watch them on an airplane, in the car, at home, heck I can watch them on the toilet if I want.

Quality is top notch and access is great. I will store them on flash drives when I have a chance but I've always loved the digital options for media storage, sadly the blunders of the entertainment industry have had us screwing around with DVDs and Tapes before them for years while we have the technology to easily store and access media in small drives and over networks.

Two of my favorite episodes!! Jack always cracked me up. I love when he finally gets something complicated and gets all excited and Carter is not even phased. I laughed so hard. He was so proud yet she didn't seem impressed. I loved her character too. It was nice to have a smart ass kicking chick in a show.

Yeah. I'm surprised how much Carter grew on me. She was the one I liked the least when I first started on SG1 since she wasn't in the original movie, and then after time she really grew on me.

Same goes with Ronon on Atlantis. His character seemed so dumb the first episode, but it didn't take long for him to be one of my favourites on SGA. The character development was really good, nearly as good as Teal'c, not quite the same, but definitely great addition to the team.

Ahhh Rodney. I couldn't stand him at first but then he grew on me and I had a crush. He became one of my favs on Atlantis.

No one likes Rodney at first.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join