What are your most fond videogame memories? [Growing up or in the past]

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I was just a few minutes ago listening to the music of Dark Cloud in a playthrough video and started reminiscing about my time playing that amazing game as a 12 year old. So out of pure spontaneity I thought a thread like this would be a pretty sweet idea. Firstly because video games have been such a big part of my life, and secondly because I'm a sucker for nostalgia. It's just such a beautiful feeling looking back at memories through a video game/song or whatever. Alright, let's get to the point of this thread. I'll start with my own memories. I have a feeling this will become a pretty serious post, so prepare for a wall of text.

I have pretty fond memories for almost all generations since the nintendo/super nintendo days. It all started when I got a super nintendo back in 95 when I was about 5 years old. I can even picture in my head what it looked like as I woke up one morning, and walked down the stairs, to be greeted by my mother and brother (my brother was about 7 years old at the time). My brother was sitting on the floor going through a bunch of super nintendo games that we got along with our new super nintendo. I remember being so excited, partially because it was a surprise and I had no idea we were getting one, but also because I always wanted a video game console.

I'd say easily my biggest memories of the super nintendo days are (and some of these are actually games that time almost made me forget about that I ever played and loved. Some are from early days, like 95-96, some are from later years, when I had recently moved to Stockholm, so around 97-98):

-Donkey Kong Country 1,2,3
-Pocky & Rocky
-Street Fighter 2
-Aladdin
-Donald in Maui Mallard
-Super Mario World 1&2 (Yoshi's Island)
-Toy Story
-Super Smash TV (man o man, good times playing this with friends and brother)
-Street Fighter Alpha 2

Feel free to youtube any of these titles to see if you guys might also have played them back in the day, and have forgotten about it. There's no way I can remember all games I played on SNES though =p But those are easily the most memorable ones. Then comes the PC days that started I'd say around 97-98 when I had recently moved to Stockholm from Uppsala thanks to my dad acquiring a new job at Telia or Ericsson.

Since he was an economist he had access to top of the line pc's and stuff. So he got us one. It was like a Pentium II, lol. Anyway, I had such a blast playing the games on PC even all the way back then. Most memorable games on PC for me were:

Tomba!
Realms of the Haunting
Duke Nukem 1&2&3D
Time Commando
Diablo (Diablo 2 came way later when I was around 10-11 years old, but yes I did play it like everyone else back then)
Little Big Adventure
MDK & MDK2 (remember not being able to play MDK2 though because it would run at like 5 fps, lol)

I never played Doom in my early years. But I do remember seeing the pause screen on my dad's laptop though when I was like 7 years old, so 97'. It's so awesome that my dad actually played video games back when I was a kid xD But I did obviously play it a few years later. Man, great times. I admit, I never played the popular games like Quake/Unreal Tournament and Baldur's Gate etc. But I did absolutely know about their existence through my cousin's who played them sometimes when I was at their house). I remember I absolutely SUCKED at Unreal Tournament though when I tried, I remember I would run into corners and look up into the ceiling or down into the ground like an idiot xD)

Anyway, then comes the Playstation 2 days (I never had a Playstation, but I played it plenty at friends houses. This was during the time when I had a Pentium 2 PC and played PC games). Oh man, MANY good times. I actually think this time was my favorite part of my childhood as far as gaming. This was also around the same time when I started playing games like Diablo 2 and Counter-Strike. My top favourite games of the PS2 days are, and will always be:

-X-Squad (believe it or not)
-Silent Hill 2
-Final Fantasy X
-Klonoa 2
-SSX
-Dark Cloud
-Shadow of Memories
-Orphen
-Shadow Hearts
-Dead or Alive 2
-Resident Evil Code Veronica X
-Baldur's Gate: DA2

I might have left a game or two out because of not being able to remember all, but these are easily my most memorable. That's obviously why I remember them off the top of my head like this =p

Then comes the Gamecube days. The funny thing here is that I'm only going to mention one franchise. My brother bought a Gamecube back in 04' while I was living with my dad in Ecuador (going to school there and stuff). He bought it mainly to play the Resident Evil games (RE0 and REmake). As soon as I heard he'd bought it, I was ecstatic and couldn't wait to get back home to Sweden and play it. I came back to Sweden in February 05', and played it like it was crack, haha. I had so much fun. I remember I'd usually play it late at night by myself in the living room, while my brother was upstairs playing Lineage 2 on the PC =p

Speaking of PC games from around this time (2005-ish), these are my most memorable ones, and are actually quite memorable:

-Lineage 2 (an AMAZING Korean MMORPG. No mmorpg to this date has been able to captivate me like Lineage 2 did. Not the western MMORPGs, nor the asian MMORPGS. It was just ... magical in every way)
-Doom 3 (this game was memorable for me because of the intense and scary atmosphere that no other game so far has been able to accomplish)
-F.E.A.R (amazing game for its day.)
-Battlefield 2 (I had soo much fun playing this game back in the day. I remember I was active on a pc gaming forum and had such a blast playing with my friends from there)
-Dark and Light (A western mmorpg that had so much potential. The only reason why it's memorable to me is because of the aesthetics, the music, and the amazing community it had during the beta days. But in the end it was a failed game that never saw the light of day because of far too many bugs and poor deisgn choices)
-Everquest 2 (I only liked it back in the day because of the aesthetics and its very mature community. I've always been very mature for my age, so I liked hanging out with mature people in games. Nowadays I can't play it though, even after giving it a shot. I guess the game has just changed too much)

Then comes the PS3 days. While there are many games I love, none of them are anywhere near as memorable as the games from past generations are for me. But great games non the less. Which are:

-Uncharted 1/2/3
-God of War 3
-Outland (this is probably my only really memorable game- that compares to games from past generations- from this generation. It just left that big of an impact on me while I was playing it, and after I completed it. I wish more games like these were released today. You really just have to play it, to understand how amazing it is. And preferably in online co-op mode. I played it with some random dutch guy that joined my game session, and we became great friends
)

Then there are of course a bunch of PC games from this generation that are good, but none that are really memorable enough for me to mention at this point in my life. I guess I'm slowly but surely growing out of video games and getting kinda caught up with adult life, but I'll never completely drop something so amazing.

There you go guys. That's my life story for you, video game style. If you got through it all, thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed my story. If you didn't, and read just a bit, thanks anyway, haha.

Your turn!
edit on 24-9-2013 by ZikhaN because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

Easy, the first time I got PK'd in Diablo (The original game). I didn't have a chance, lol. He came at me with a "Grandfather Katana", took me out in one swipe, lol. Still hurts today

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

Showing my age here, for sure, but in my estimation Robotron 2084 was the sauce, followed closely by Tempest. In fact, I'd step over my own mother if I could find a decent free 80's arcade emulator for OSX. I'd get nothing else accomplished but I'd have a ball doing it.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

Easy, Civilization, all 25 years of it!

Oh dear....
edit on 24-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by RedShirt73

Lol! I chuckled xD That must have sucked though! xD

I actually never played Diablo 1 online though. Diablo 2 is a completely different story, I pretty much only played online. Oh man, good ol day's of Mefisto runs and Tomb runs =p Well tomb runs started coming a bit later (I think?) Good times though

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

Interesting thread!
About 10 years ago, I got out of the military and moved back to my old town. I lived alone for a while, and then invited my nephew, 8 years my junior, to live with me while I went to school. We played a lot of xbox, and playstation 2 games. After awhile, I stopped playing, but I would still come home and sit in my recliner while he played. Sometimes I would sit there for hours, and then start to fall asleep, and he would laugh as I kicked my feet or talked in my sleep. Yes those were good times.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by lokomotiv23

Awesome =) Yea, that was WAY ahead of my day, haha

reply to post by greencmp

So we can agree that you're a Civilization fan? =p

reply to post by apydomis

Haha, good one! ;-)

It's crazy though. After I finnished my OP, I started thinking about other games I've played growing up. And new games just keep popping up, I'll never be able to give enough love to each game for the joy they brought me though =p

Video gaming and video game developers are just such a gift to mankind, haha. Too bad many older people see it as a disturbance and something unhealthy. I know I'm going to let my kids play as much video games as they want (obviously with a healthy dose of physical acitivity outside, haha).

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Vic 20 :

Moon Lander
Pitfall

NES :

SMB
Metroid
Kid Icarus
Ikari Warriors

SNES :

Nija Gaiden
Super Metroid
Mortal Kombat
Mario Kart

Sega Genesis :

Altered Beast
Sonic

PC:

Jedi Knight : Dark Forces II
Mysteries of the Sith
Quake 1 & 2
Tribes 1 & 2
Doom (all incarnations)
Descent
Xwing Vs. Tie Fighter
Mechwarrior (all incarnations)

Xbox :

Morrowind

There's probably more, but those are the most memorable.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sixswornsermon

Aw heck yea! Super Smash Bros, had so much fun playing that on Gamecube at my friends house
Which also reminds me of how much fun I had playing bomberman even earlier back in the day

Morrowind is also another AMAZING game. And thanks for reminding me of its existence. Because it also reminds me that I forgot to mention Oblivion. Which also captivated me lots all those years ago on PC. Same with the first Fable!

Omg >.< Nostalgia hurts a bit ._.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
NES
ShadowRun

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
One of my best gaming memories has got to be playing Toe Jam & Earl on the sega mega drive with my brother. Good times right there. Countless hours spent.

One memory that we always giggle about would be playing Road Rash. I used to cry because the wheel on my bike didn't seem to spin round so I thought I wasn't going anywhere!
It was just the naff graphics!
edit on 24/9/2013 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

What was wrong with space invaders? the tech of the time was cool because the interface was usable in a way to hone a skill out of it, simple as that. GTA for instance, is more of a philosophy than just a game, and somehow it entails a need to believe in what you are doing along with any honed skills. Yeah, you could debate this stuff forever.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I once had a job as an attendent at a video game arcade at the beach. Best ... Job ... Ever !!! I got paid $8 an hour to keep the place clean, make change once in a while, play video games, and watch the girls go by in bikinis. I got really good at Punch Out. Glass Joe, Bald Bull, Pizza Pasta, and Mr. Sandman, I just kind of enjoyed beating those guys up.

It was a real disappointment when you had the high score, got up to 999990 only to have it roll over back to zero. I'm just glad I didn't have to pay to play the games.

I still play old games on the PC. I regularly play Chessmaster 9000, Birth of the Federation, Command & Conquer, Red Alert, and Mortal Kombat Trilogy. I'll probably still be playing them a decade from now, as long as I can find compatibility modes in new operating systems.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Great thread!

My best memories come from Dark Age of Camelot. Massive battles,solo fights and group vs group.

Man I miss that game.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

Started on the Atari but moving on to the Nintendo ill name the consoles an titles that blew me away at the time.

NES- The LEGENDARY system
Zelda- This game was amazing for its time, Mario was a cool and there was a ton of games you could play with your friends that were awesome Jordan vs Byrd, contra, battletoads, etc but this was a game you could play alone and felt like a part of a story!
Mega Man
Sim City
Ninja Gaiden
Snes- This system and the PlayStation were amazing
So many RPGs just wow! Anything by Square
Final Fantasy III was a genre defining game and set the standard for everything to come after
Donkey Kong Country- just mindblowing graphics at the time
Super Street Fighter II TURBO
NBA Jam T.E.
Zelda
Earthbound
Chronotrigger
Killer Instinct
Super Metroid
Mega Man X

N64 - This system was just cool
Goldeneye 007 this kicked off the multiplayer FPS genre nuff said

Sega-M
Tecmo Super Bow - Destroying your friends with the same plays!

PlayStation -This system had it all and then some.
The sheer amount of quality games this system had like the Snes was just amazing.
FFVII- Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said, revolutionary
Xenogears
Brigandine
Castlevania
Parasite Eve

PS2- Better Graphics
Grand Theft Auto III-Wow!
Madden -All of them sports games just saw huge improvements

Xbox- The Box that could!
Halo- Oh I just couldn't get enough killing your friends with headshots calling them noobs lan parties getting destroyed online by hardcore teams it was all just amazing.

Diablo I & 2
These PC games provided endless gameplay Gold standard in MMORPG. Diablo 2 almost refuses to die like its Immortal still sitting on Walmart shelves for 13yrs now!

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

I think you forgot an S ;p
And I think thats the cover of the Genesis version, no?

But yeah they both rocked!

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
First game's console I bought with my own hard earned cash was a NES in 88.... I saved up to buy Zelda II The Adventure of Link and back then it cost more money than games today even. If I remember correctly it cost me around £50 all those years ago! But at the time I felt it was worth every penny and it will always hold a special place in my gaming world. I think probably because of the satisfaction of having to work so damned hard for it!

Other notable video game memories.....

Booking a whole week off work to play FFVII and never leaving the house. The first time I had ever become so immersed in a video game!

Convalescing at my parents house after a nasty illness which coincided with the Super Mario 64 release on the Nintendo 64... and spending every night playing it with my dad. We had always played games together since he bought me a Vic20 in 1980 and spending those few weeks at his house playing games together like we used to was pricelss. Obviously helped by the fact that Super Mario 64 was so epic!

First time I played a multiplayer game on xbox live...it was totally foreign to me and I didn't have a clue what I was doing but it was awesome! lol

There are so many fond memories I could post...not everyone understands that video games can have emotional value attached to them and they consider the concept "sad". So nice one for starting a thread

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I cant remember the name! For Atari, it had robots in it. That's pretty much all I remember about the game, besides it being super fun.

NES
Blaster Master followed closely by double dragon 2

SNES
Street fighter hands down
Castlevania
Zelda
F Zero

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Jet Set Willy, Target Renegade 2, Elite, on the zx spectrum were the first games to get me hooked.

Strider on the Mega Drive.

R-Type, Rygor, Street Fighter 2, Dragon Ninja, Shinobi, Golden Axe, Double Dragon, Tekken in the Arcade.

edit on 20139America/Chicago09pm9pmTue, 24 Sep 2013 17:58:03 -05000913 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

Ah, I'll never forget my first video game console. The hours I spent playing that game...

Hockey, tennis, squash ... small paddles, large paddles ... it had it all!
edit on 9/24/13 by AnonymousCitizen because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join