It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need information on the Emergency Broadcast System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
From everything I have read recently surrounding the October - November "Tests" of our Emergency Broadcast Systems they are slated to occur each day from September 28th thru November 5th 2013. However today Syfy began its testing of the system. Does this mean they have bumped up the time frame for the tests or is some disaster closer than what they originally presumed?

I have never seen emergency broadcasts on Satellite tv, nor every day in a row like we have heard they plan to do now. I did look on the search engine to find any threads devoted to this unusual situation but did not find any recent ones. I did see how back in 2011 close to the time of an incoming comet they did one test on as many receptors as possible.

I would really like to know more, to understand more about this scheduled emergency test and discuss with others what it could possibly mean.

Has anyone else seen the new test? Unfortunately I only saw the freezeframe of it on my tv as someone was here visiting that was unaware of any unusual strangeness surrounding it and had actually paused tv during the test and when I freaked and wanted to see it, they fumbled and lost it, couldn't go back! I wanted to hear the voice recording, and see if this is any different than past recorded broadcasts.

Thank you and I sincerely look forward to any and all thought and opinions on this.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Also no matter how long I searched online I could not find a link to a website or organization for the emergency broadcast system. Plenty of good info on the system, the Presidents role in its inception and implementation, but no direct link. Everything has a link nowadays. Who runs it? Who pays for it? How much does it cost to run? Just interested in learning more about it.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
When I was a kid I remember they use to do the emergency broadcast tests everyday.
I hated it because it interrupted my cartoons I wondered what is this stupid s%#@ and why do they interrupt the cartoons everyday with it?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I remember when they'd test the air raid sirens around town back in the early/mid 80's...

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I have not heard anything about a national test since the one in 2011. However, local ones happen all the time and have been on cable and satellite providers since after 911.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
It's probably in preparation for the Grid Ex II exercises that are to occur Nov 13 - 14th in the Northeastern United States:

Here is a brief synopsis of the exercise:

The objectives of the NERC Grid Security Exercise (GridEx) series are to exercise the current readiness of participating Electricity Sub-sector entities to respond to a cyber incident and provide input for ​

security program improvements to the bulk power system. GridEx is a biennial international grid security exercise that uses best practices and other contributions from the Department of Homeland Security, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, and the National Institute of Standards and Technology.

NERC conducted the first sector-wide grid security exercise, GridEx 2011, on November 16-17, 2011. The exercise was designed to validate the readiness of the Electricity Sub-sector to respond to a cyber incident, strengthen utilities’ crisis response functions, and provide input for internal security program improvements. The GridEx 2011 after-action report is below.
On November 13-14, 2013, GridEx II will exercise NERC and industry crisis response plans and identify actionable improvement recommendations for plans, security programs, and skills. The scenario will build on lessons learned from GridEx 2011 and include both cybersecurity and physical security components.

Source: www.nerc.com...

edit on 24-9-2013 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
The name of the system has been changed to the Emergency Alert System. Try searching under that name and you will find information under the FCC.gov website.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Wires

So is this the US Navy in conjunction with FEMA? Very interesting page read. Was I correct in understanding that it could also be used for more than just radio and tv frequencies but also computers, text and telephones?

This was a request for the work to be done dated back in 04, but perhaps it was by 2011 and now has had an even bigger upgrade. Some of you teckie's would be able to unravel more of what this means than I could.

The Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Charleston (SSCC), Code 50 is tasked to procure, deliver and install high frequency (HF) radio communications equipment for the Federal Emergency Management Authority (FEMA). This contract shall provide systems meeting all requirements specified in the solicitation. The FEMA National Radio System (FNARS) is a HF radio network which provides essential emergency communications capabilities between federal, state, and local governments during emergencies or disasters.

The FNARS upgrade will utilize Automatic Link Establishment (ALE) capability in accordance with MIL-STD-188.141B (2G) and frequency shift keying (FSK) capability in accordance with MIL-STD-188-110B. MIL-STD-188-141C (3G) ALE capability will be installed upon third generation availability. The FNARS HF system will be utilized to transmit and receive secure and non-secure voice and data. Data shall include, but not limited to, e-mail, text messages and images. Data rate requirements are expected to be range between 9,600 and 19,200 bauds per second (BPS). A typical FNARS system will include operator consoles, HF radio transmission and reception equipment, RF matrices and antennas. A FEMA Ethernet switch and router will provide Network Control Center (NECOS), Federal Regional Center (FRC) and Regional Office (RO) system connectivity to the FEMA Wide Area Network (WAN) and will permit remote operation and control of these networked HF radio systems by NECOS, FRC or RO locations.

www.fbo.gov...

So these upgrades are in place? Does this have to do with the emergency alert systems or just how they transmit info for first responders etc.?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Emergency alert system. Am I the only one that finds a real lack of information or reasoning behind them doing such an ongoing and extensive test of the system? I mean yes back in 2011 they did a one time alert with plenty of public forewarning, that was understandable, but this just seems different. If they do it for this amount of time will people get to where they do not heed an actual warning when it does come or just ignore it completely like my visitor did today seeing it as an annoyance and pausing the tv rather being interested?

Or on the other hand, is this to get people acclimated to the system so that when it is actually used for an emergency it will not be quite so alarming? Since this is connected at the hip with Weather and Homeland Security, the whole thing due to my lack of knowledge or understanding gives me a terrible feeling about what the next 4-5 months could mean weather wise. The thing is, when weather gets really bad power goes out, so this system would pretty much be useless.

I hate that they treat people unless trained by them as morons who do not need to know. I not only need to know, I deserve to be informed, and so do you.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Also heard that us Brits will be getting Emergency alerts through our mobile phones via sms. Its been stated that some mobile operators will be doing a trial in yorkshire and other parts.

Government launches test to see how public reacts to emergency text alerts. The Government is to test an SMS alert system in Glasgow, Suffolk and Yorkshire to help gauge public reaction to receiving texts about emergency situations. Customers will be able to sign up to receive text alerts. Around 50,000 texts are expected to be sent and pilots will take place in Easingwold, in North Yorkshire, Leiston, in Suffolk, and Glasgow city centre. Mobile operators EE, Vodafone and O2 are to help with the trials, said the Cabinet Office, which is spearheading the tests. The message itself will make clear that it is only a test and I do not want the public to be alarmed in any way. The pilot will compare two systems: the cell broadcast system (CBS) used in the US and the Netherlands, and a location-based SMS system deployed in Australia. CBS sends text-like messages to all devices in a given cell area while location-based SMS systems send text messages to all numbers in a specific location. CBS operates on a different channel to voice and SMS (texts) and therefore does not suffer from nor contribute to network congestion, according to the Cabinet Office. Francis Maude, Cabinet Office minister, said he welcomed the operators involvement in the trials, adding the mobile alerts would be an essential part of the Government’s drive to improve the safety of UK residents. "The Government will conduct separate tests later this year to look at a how different technologies work and how the public react when they receive an emergency alert to their phone,” he said. “The message itself will make clear that it is only a test and I do not want the public to be alarmed in any way. We are also looking for help from the public in evaluating how well the tests worked and how they felt about receiving messages in this way, and we would welcome the public’s views.” He added that getting SMS messages to people in an emergency was important.

Source

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Some people think our government is scrambling to react to some type of calamity that they have foreknowledge of, but are not alertinging the public to keep down panic.

I think it's preparation of the Grid Ex II exercise I posted earlier, and/or maybe some more clandestine exercises we do not know about.

I guess time will tell.

Try contacting them and see what they have to say about it.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

antar
Emergency alert system. Am I the only one that finds a real lack of information or reasoning behind them doing such an ongoing and extensive test of the system? I mean yes back in 2011 they did a one time alert with plenty of public forewarning, that was understandable, but this just seems different. If they do it for this amount of time will people get to where they do not heed an actual warning when it does come or just ignore it completely like my visitor did today seeing it as an annoyance and pausing the tv rather being interested?

Or on the other hand, is this to get people acclimated to the system so that when it is actually used for an emergency it will not be quite so alarming? Since this is connected at the hip with Weather and Homeland Security, the whole thing due to my lack of knowledge or understanding gives me a terrible feeling about what the next 4-5 months could mean weather wise. The thing is, when weather gets really bad power goes out, so this system would pretty much be useless.

I hate that they treat people unless trained by them as morons who do not need to know. I not only need to know, I deserve to be informed, and so do you.

Anatar..........they are doing the emergency alert things as part of an exercise, I do believe.
They are supposed to be testing something with all of the satellites also.
I was watching Fox news when they did the "big" one, and it didn't even go over the air...kinda a bummer.

As far as being acclimated to hearing it, I listen to a scanner every night, can't sleep without the white noise, but, if a weather alert goes off, I pay attention, now, if the tv does the alert, I drop what I'm doing and watch it. Where I'm at, they usually only did them real early in the morning.

I think the ptb know way more than we do, there has been ALOT of meteors lately. And asteroids. I was noticing on RSOE, there were, and are more than a few that are 13.9 LD.
edit on 24-9-2013 by thepolish1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I`ve always thought there was something suspicous and conspiratorial about the forced change over from analog to digital T.V. so that the government could have all the analog bands for themselves.
History has taught me one thing, the government always takes the best for themselves and forces the rest of us to take 2nd hand rejects.

There must be some advantage to analog over digital when the SHTF I suspect that`s why the government took over all analog bands.
Perhaps it easier to block digital bands than it is analog?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
All I can tell you officially at this time is that the FCC is monitoring these tests from all markets very seriously.

Warnings have been given about large fines being levied if these tests do not go out on time and as instructed by the local and satellite stations.

EAS tests have always been an important function over my years in television, but these are being greatly scrutinized to make sure they go out properly.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

I'd like some more info on that, if you can.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Alot of countries have tests everyday, it's kind of important to know for sure these systems work as they save lives.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Bumping things up for sure, what makes this exercise (which is a Military term for recon type practice) go for so many consecutive days though? And from what you have shared, thank you, this could be very costly to anyone that does not comply exactly as ordered to do so. I know that the FCC has always been strict, but this seems even more so. So who is behind this and controlling the regulations as well as compliance? Who pays for all of this and at what cost? This is big and I am glad to see that members from other countries are jumping in as well.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Also is there a certain time frame that they will do these tests or are they random? Do all the stations get the message at the same time or does that differ? Has anyone else seen this ahead of the Sept. 28th advertised date, or did I just happen to see one that was previously scheduled and not really part of the big exercise?

top topics

join