It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ted Cruz Filibuster Obamcare has started!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

I couldn't stay up with the good Senator either!

Turned it on this morning, he's still at it!

Reid just shut him down.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

buster2010
reply to post by netbound

Can anyone here validate that jobs are being lost due to Obamacare?

No one has lost their jobs due to Obamacare the reason why people are losing jobs is because of corporate greed like always. Insurance companies thinking they may lose some profit to Obamacare started jacking rates up on employers and employers not wanting to lose their profit margin started cutting people. The funny part is the insurance companies complaining about Obamacare seeing how Obamacare makes people buy insurance it's nothing but welfare for insurance companies. So why are insurance companies jacking up rates for no reason.

Where do you get your information? You should stop listening to your women's studies professor for up to date political commentary.

You are correct that insurance companies were instrumental in lobbying for the ACA. While the misinformation machine likes to present insurance companies as being somehow opposed to a law that gives them more clients, it is simply not true.

The reason prices rise is because of subsidy. Any time you subsidize something, costs rise and quality decreases. There are no exceptions.
edit on 25-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by freedom12

So he really is done? What was the point?

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

devildogUSMC

Yep, Reid invoked cloture.

21 hours he went.

Maybe if you'd have listened to a few hours, you would have got it?

And if you did listen, I can't explain it any better than Senator Cruz did. Sorry.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Thank you senator Cruz for bringing the peoples concerns to DC, which have otherwise fell on deaf ears. Your time was not wasted and I will always appreciate what you and your colleagues attempted.

Now we will all sit back while far more educated persons impose upon us what is best for us because afterall what do we know of what is best for us. Thankfully we have a government to fill in the blanks so we don't have to tarry with these trivial matters.

God bless you Senator kiss your babies and your wife and sleep well knowing you fought the good fight.
edit on 25-9-2013 by WWJFKD because: sp

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
OH YES, just SIT DOWN and shut up like a good little slave that you are...

What a bunch of ignorant fools, that believe we should just sit down and shut up, that is what's wrong with the country, people like them.

I'll tell you what, I am tired of being told to sit down and shut up!!!!

Cruz is at least trying to do what he thinks is right and by damn we need some more politicians to try that for a change..

The worst thing ANYBODY CAN DO is SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP... disgusting, shame on you.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

devildogUSMC

The point was for Ted Cruz to draw attention to himself. So next year when he is campaigning for President we can hear over and over how he talked for 21 hours (btw, this wasn't a filibuster) against Obamacare.

He basically talked for 21 hours for no point at all. It is illogical as hell when you think about it, he is speaking for 21 hours to prevent a vote on the house bill that he supports.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

greencmp

The reason prices rise is because of subsidy. Any time you subsidize something, costs rise and quality decreases. There are no exceptions.
edit on 25-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

I respectfully disagree. The cost going up has nothing to do with subsidies. It has to do with too big to fail healthcare monopolies price gouging rates on the consumer. Since lobbies practically wrote the legislation it stands to reason everything was in their favor.

There are two solutions that I see, and one of them is unamerican lol..

a)nationalised healthcare plan as part of SS

b)use anti-trust laws to breakup the monopolies and free the market. we need more competition.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Helious
reply to post by Indigo5

Nothing personal, but this form of logical fallacy, where viewers=credibility is what feeds the cancer destroying our News Media.

Facts are not determined by viewership numbers, the truth is not validated through a popularity contest.

Entertainment media = affirming viewers worldview...people like to feel good.

Facts are independent of how people "feel".

It's odd how you chose to ignore the rest of my post.

I chose the your first and principle claim..the rest began with "aside from that" suggesting your first claim was what your point was?

Helious
The very logical argument I made went further than just the viewership Drudge has, it is based on the fact that the site is essentially nothing more than a world news ticker and the articles found on Drudge come from an extremely wide range of sources, many of which are considered to be highly reputable.

There is nothing logical about a fully partisan "News" site being so lazy as to not even create it's own "News", but to rather SELECTIVELY choose the news it rebroadcasts NOT BASED credibility of sources, but rather on whether it fit's it's own partisan theme.

It is the epitome of what is wrong with news media. You are actually championing a site whose principle purpose is to give it's readers only the news they want to hear...Just sayin.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
He is scheduled to carry on with Rush Limbaugh at 1 PM.

If you want a recap of this effort:

More Than 21 Hours Later, Ted Cruz Has Been Cut Off
edit on 9/25/2013 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by AlienScience

Can you explain this "health care exchange" I'm being offered at work?

My HR person that sent it out to me can't and she has to bring an "expert" in to do so, for at least one week because of the amount of employees(225-240) that need this explained.

This is another "cost" the company I work for has to pick up as I stated earlier in this thread.

BTW, my cost is going up. How much I can't tell yet because this "exchange" offers waivers.

I guess I might find out when this "expert" comes in to explain it next month.

I wonder if Nancy Pelosi can come explain it to us, if she's read it?

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by thesaneone

Good point.
Plus if the captive audience heard it they could not deny that they didn't know what was in the bill. .

I would take a page out of the west wing episode 'The Stackhouse filibuster' and have the one or two sympathetic members in the form of a question take turns reading the bill in a form of the question. they cold go in for weeks if they worked as a team.

Of course it could work both ways. The good guys could only do it once so they would have to make it count.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

Trying to weed through all this can be a little overwhelming and with the current state of the 4rd estate in this country I'm not sure I trust any sources but I will definitely give those articles a read and get back to you.

What might be a better idea is to read the actual act itself? Thoughts?

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

sad_eyed_lady

Cruz knows his best shot at stopping Obamacrap was taking it to the people. I don't deny what you say. You can't deny that he is one politican who isn't sitting on a$$. I have been watching Cruz since he campaigned and checking him out. IMHO I am glad the rest of America is having a chance to see and hear the man.

We agree there. I am glad that the rest of America is getting a chance to "see the man"...I just think we might differ on what we see.

His aim is not to halt Obamacare, he negotiated with the Dem. and GOP leadership specifically to begin this "filibuster" early enough and to stop early enough to permit any defunding of Obamacare to be STRIPPED from the bill.

While he rambles on about defunding...he has already agreed to fund it.

So his principle aim of this filibuster is just what you describe...for Americans to "see" him. It's a 2016 campaign stump speech.

He is dishonest and willing to feign ideological commitment to repealing Obamacare, while negotiating the precise opposite so he could make a campaign speech. His commitment is false and that opinion is not based on any partisan view, but rather the reality and circumstances of his filibuster.

Whatever side of the political spectrum we sit on, I'd hope everyone could agree that folks with this capacity for deception and willful dishonesty to serve their personal ambition don't belong in DC? We have enough of them already...wrong direction.
edit on 25-9-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

freedom12
reply to post by AlienScience

Can you explain this "health care exchange" I'm being offered at work?

My HR person that sent it out to me can't and she has to bring an "expert" in to do so, for at least one week because of the amount of employees(225-240) that need this explained.

This is another "cost" the company I work for has to pick up as I stated earlier in this thread.

BTW, my cost is going up. How much I can't tell yet because this "exchange" offers waivers.

I guess I might find out when this "expert" comes in to explain it next month.

I wonder if Nancy Pelosi can come explain it to us, if she's read it?

I can explain the "health care exchanges" to you, but it isn't something your employer "offers" you.

The health care exchanges is a place where people who don't or can't get insurance through their employer to get health insurance at group rates. Currently, these people have to pay HUGE premiums for individual health insurance plans because they aren't part of a group (self employed, part time workers, or those workers who work for a company that don't offer insurance). These State exchanges are set up either by the State or by the Federal Government if the State opted no to set up their own exchange.

If your employer is "offering" the State exchange to you...what that means is that your employer finds it more profitable to drop your employer based group health insurance and dump all of it's employers into the State exchanges. If your employer previously provided health insurance, this is being done strictly for a profit since they were already compliant by providing their employees with insurance.

In short, this is a CHOICE from your employer to dump your insurance and send you to the State exchanges so they can make more money. If you want to be pissed at someone, be pissed at your employer.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

sad_eyed_lady
He is scheduled to carry on with Rush Limbaugh at 1 PM.

If you want a recap of this effort:

More Than 21 Hours Later, Ted Cruz Has Been Cut Off
edit on 9/25/2013 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

He was not cut off...

Nor am I a psychic for predicting the precise time his "Filibuster" would end..

He negotiated this filibuster while agreeing to let the bill proceed absent the defunding of Obamacare.

My earlier post..

Indigo5

ARTICLE EXCERPT:
Sure, it's a fake filibuster. Cruz negotiated the terms of his long talk with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, and appeared to have carefully crafted exchanges with friendly lawmakers popping up to give him a respite from speaking. Cruz will have to stop at noon.
www.pbs.org...

It was NOT a filibuster..From your own source the Journal..

Don't Call It a Filibuster
Ted Cruz's speech is not a filibuster, but he can talk until Wednesday morning.

www.nationaljournal.com...

A carefully orchestrated campaign speech..

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Why did he pass up the opportunity when Durbin brought up the congress sublime heath-care to point out that congress exempted them-self's a pass on Obama care?

He should have pounded that home.

to heck with them all.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

acuna
reply to post by Tardacus

Trying to weed through all this can be a little overwhelming and with the current state of the 4rd estate in this country I'm not sure I trust any sources but I will definitely give those articles a read and get back to you.

What might be a better idea is to read the actual act itself? Thoughts?

Obamacare Regulations 8 Times Longer Than the Bible

I suggest you look at information lawyers and physicians who have read it made. It might help save your time and sanity.

Watching video of Cruz efforts could give you an understanding of how it is flawed.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

stormdancer777
Why did he pass up the opportunity when Durbin brought up the congress sublime heath-care to point out that congress exempted them-self's a pass on Obama care?

He should have pounded that home.

to heck with them all.

Because they didn't pass themselves an exemption, they will all be purchasing their insurance on the exchanges.

What they passed as a mechanism that allows the federal government to continue to contribute to their healthcare premium costs.

This is a fact, when you continue to say that they passed an exemption for themselves, you look like you are ignorant to the facts.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I think the fact that this stubborn, obstructionist Tea Partier read Green Eggs and Ham is hilarious. Kind of a metaphor..."I do not like Obamacare, I do not like it anywhere..."

Note to Ted Cruz, he ultimately eats Green Eggs and Ham - and likes it. lol!

edit on 9/25/2013 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join