It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Game Over. Zero tolerance has gone way too far

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

schadenfreude
reply to post by ownbestenemy

no the ppl of vig beach dont agree. read the comments. they think its as absurd as we do.

Overall I am glad that they are beginning to realize that they need to be actively aware of their own self-governance; they now know the consequences of such negligence and flat out disregard to exert any form of political power they inherently own.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

MysteriousHusky

Section (f) “No person shall use a pneumatic gun in the area of the city described in (a) above except (i) at approved shooting ranges or (ii) on or within private property with permission of the owner or legal possessor thereof when conducted with reasonable care to prevent a projectile from crossing the bounds of the property. For purposes of this subsection, "pneumatic gun" means any implement designed as a gun that will expel a BB or a pellet by action of pneumatic pressure, including but not limited to paintball guns. Further, for the purpose of this subsection "reasonable care" means that the pneumatic gun is discharged in a manner so the projectile is contained on the property by a backstop, earthen embankment or fence. The discharge of projectiles across or over the bounds of the property shall create the rebuttable presumption that the use of the pneumatic gun was not conducted with reasonable care and shall constitute a Class 3 misdemeanor. “

Not sure if you intended to quote the above section to give weight to the idea that the call to the cops or the suspension were somehow reasonable actions, but if so, I've highlighted the relevant portions of the text for you.

The unless he was shooting into the street or whatever, the kid was well within the law.

And the zero-tolerance thing with schools / kids and so-called "crime" is going way way too far. I actually did a bunch of reading the other day and came up with a whole bunch of really dumb, horrible cases. Kids getting taken out of class in handcuffs and charged with "disorderly conduct" for using their cellphone, or writing on a desk. Just really ridiculous stuff

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
This is why sending your kids to public school is a stupid decision. In this day and age you either have to work around homeschooling or private schools. Public schools are just a day-care at best, and day-cares aren't great to teach your kids any valuable lessons, if anything they teach your kids bad habits and bad mindsets. Unfortunately MOST attend public schools, meaning that no matter what, they will be the majority to say "we want public schools to be run this way" etc etc...

Where I grew up (outside the US), I brought a Swiss Army Knife to school and that was perfectly acceptable. I had a lighter as well but didn't smoke. I was naturally into the mindset of survival and nobody taught me that but I enjoyed my right to do so. My wife, that also grew up in a different country had different standards. She grew up in a poor third world country but attended the best classes her schools could offer (think magnet school in the US). There weren't as many children per classroom as there could have been (the non-magnet classes were 80+ students per class room, which are the same size as a normal classroom in the US). Imagine having to monitor all of these kids, it's not going to happen. They don't have a zero-tolerance policy but they do have strict rules like the kind of haircuts you have to have, if you're allowed to have braided hairs, you're not allowed to wear this or that but yet surprisingly enough with all the bickering kids would make about those "dumb rules", nobody would get stabbed or shot or even beaten to death.

Isn't it amazing that in places both poor and rich, where zero-tolerance doesn't exist, there's little to no problem with weapon related violence? There are still bullies, but that's part of life. No matter where you go, there will be bullies. There were even bullies at my ex's private high-school. They didn't bully her but they would bully others.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   

iwilliam
The unless he was shooting into the street or whatever, the kid was well within the law.

See my previous quotes. While the child(ren) may have been 'well within the law', they were however suspended in line with the established "Code of Conduct" because they were "going to and from" the bus stop. While I agree it is a stretch and that zero-tolerance rules are out of balance, the child did break rules that fall within what the School Board has voted in.

I blame a lazy electorate.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
The fact that schools think that they can declare "bus stops", which are usually the end of a driveway, or someone's front yard, or the end of a dead end road as school property is absurd.
edit on Wed, 09 Apr 2014 14:48:04 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join