It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Game Over. Zero tolerance has gone way too far

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I wanted to put this in the posse com forum, but seeing as I saw no new topic button there...

School expels kid for playing with toy gun in OWN yard

Like thousands of others in Hampton Roads, Khalid Caraballo plays with airsoft guns. Caraballo and his friend Aidan were suspended because they shot two other friends who were with them while playing with the guns as they waited for the school bus. The two seventh graders say they never went to the bus stop; they fired the airsoft guns while on Caraballo's private property.

Is that bad enough? Of course not, for now the school redefines the term "expelled" to "suspension".

During a hearing Tuesday morning, Aidan Clark and Khalid Caraballo were given long-term suspensions in a unanimous vote. The suspensions will last until June, but a hearing will be held in January to determine if they will be allowed back in school. Their parents told WAVY News' Andy Fox their children were expelled, but when Fox looked at the official letter from the school, he found they were long-term suspensions and not expulsions. Their parents still feel as though they were expelled.

I've been suspended from school quite a few times, sometimes for fights, sometimes for skipping, etc. Expelled means, you don't come back, period. Better luck next year. But, since he MIGHT be able to return in JANUARY, he is only "suspended".

Suspension papers

Ok, so let's review so far; you have a suspension that isn't a suspension, for kids playing with airsoft guns nowhere near a school building, or bus stop, nor kids bringing toy GUNS!!!!!! to school. What started all of this crap?

911 Audio

For those that can't listen, the call basically says that a woman was driving by, and saw a kid shooting at a tree with a gun. It isn't until 2 minutes into the call she says it MAY be a toy gun, then a full minute after THAT says it may be a toy gun.

Did I mention the toy gun was GREEN with a red tip & she said someone should talk to his parents?

There are multiple issues at play here, please let's just not gloss over them b/c of the utter stupidity of this story, it'll be easy to do so. (I know as soon as I read it, I shut off my laptop and swore off the internet, it's THAT asinine)

Do we talk about the gross stupidity of the blatant overreach of the school's authoritah? Or do we discuss how the school can get away with changing the term expulsion to suspension for political purposes? OR do we talk about how stupid ppl call the police over GREEN TOY GUNS?! Or, finally, the mentality that if you "see something, say something", or in this case call?

You decide, I'm logging off & playing league of legends until I can think rationally again.

edit on 24-9-2013 by schadenfreude because: typo in title

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The parents who get upset at their kids playing with toy green guns, that bear no resemblance to actual weaponry are perhaps parents who should focus more on getting the basics right before expanding to toy censorship.

Basics such as

Nutrition

Clothing that doesn't look like a bear ate half of it.

Inspiring their kids to pick up a book once in a while.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
O.I.C. It's wild how this works these days, isn't it? These kids were engaged in a perfectly legal and widely practiced hobby, on their own private property when purely by accident? Something from that perfectly legal activity carried across their property line and ..well, a school bus stop happened to be near. I'll leave alone how EVERY fat child in America today seems to be on busses..and you can't spit without landing within 100 yards of a school bus stop, anywhere in many modern cities....Heaven forbid a child ever walk anywhere beyond the trip to the bus itself. I disgress though....

Someone explain this..

Parents outraged to learn teen accused of child rape is at school

I was actually hunting for a different story someone else may recall about a teen allowed back to school because he had the "Right" to an education at the local school...he raped another teen in. No "Long term" suspension for violent rape ...and in the link above? A really attrocious rape that, 3 years older? Would have seen this punk in prison with 25-Life in most states today.

So...Kids playing with their Airsoft plastic pellet guns have no right to their education ...but rapists do? (you know the scary part? I hadn't found the story I was looking for....because so many others cluttered the search for the SAME thing happening!
)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yeah, it is scary how political correctness can have significant implications for those who aren't even old enough to grasp the politics affecting them! Education has to be a right, regardless of what you do at recess although I do agree that the teen you mentioned of rape was it? That's probably for a juvie court or something.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Define "near". I didn't put this in the OP but the bus stop was seventy yards away. That's 210 feet.

No way those plastics pellets travel that far, I don't buy it.

This appears to be an inadvertent form of "groupthink" concerning guns, period. (At least from the school members)

I should probably just stop watching the news, period. The more I see, the less I think we have the right to exist as a species.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by schadenfreude

I'd be curious to know what guns they had out there... There is the cheap $20 garbage from Walmart shelves...and then Airsoft runs the range all the way up to full electrically fired, high rate machine guns used in enormous real world battlefields around the nation by full grown adults. Those should make the distance with no problem and hurt quite a bit at that range, too. Did they save allowance money to buy junk or did Mommy and Daddy spend a few bucks for something mid range that would last more than a day or two?

It doesn't make what happened here any less absurd, of course...and it's only more so to realize even the 911 caller that started events here, admitted on the call she could see it wasn't a real firearm and was just bothered by the fact a kid was pointing something .... while her own kid is noted in the story as participating in airsoft 'wars' with neighborhood kids at that house.

What a story and a really good catch. This rates up there with the little kid ..in the Carolinas, was it? That got felony charges for a BB gun fired generally off toward traffic ..kinda.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Is it becoming clear yet?

They are speeding up the attack. We have made them bold and cocky. If we let them get away with allowing them to defile our bodies and of our children, if we allow them to take over our, streets under the ruse off tracking down one skinny scared unarmed teenager, if we allow excons in uniforms to molest us and our family, and "NO ONE" stands up and says STOP!

They won't. The next time they will be loading us into vans. Next stop the gulags and the gas chambers. This how it starts.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Just wait until we get the biometric assisted classrooms their trying out right now in NY.....gotta get them ready for adult hood, yepp....gotta get them ready!!!

www.storyleak.com... tudents-eye-movements-conversations/

Ahhhh, to be a ludite and not a computer programmer...

- SN

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
From article linked by OP,

Section (f) “No person shall use a pneumatic gun in the area of the city described in (a) above except (i) at approved shooting ranges or (ii) on or within private property with permission of the owner or legal possessor thereof when conducted with reasonable care to prevent a projectile from crossing the bounds of the property. For purposes of this subsection, "pneumatic gun" means any implement designed as a gun that will expel a BB or a pellet by action of pneumatic pressure, including but not limited to paintball guns. Further, for the purpose of this subsection "reasonable care" means that the pneumatic gun is discharged in a manner so the projectile is contained on the property by a backstop, earthen embankment or fence. The discharge of projectiles across or over the bounds of the property shall create the rebuttable presumption that the use of the pneumatic gun was not conducted with reasonable care and shall constitute a Class 3 misdemeanor. “

Either change the law, or change the type of toy guns kids can play with.

edit on 24-9-2013 by MysteriousHusky because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

You know, the thing is on this one? It's odd...but the cops are the ones seeming to shake their heads in wonder at the fuss being made over it. The article says they aren't doing anything and don't really enforce this law anyway, unless someone is basically getting stupid about what they're doing. Apparently this kid even had a net of some kind (Net? ...well, that's what the article says) meant to catch the pellets.

It's just the school that went ape over the very thought of a child with anything like a gun, it seems. Like the little tyrants that came down on the kid recently for a 'gun shaped' piece of lunch he chewed into ...what? A lethal snack food?

Insane, isn't it?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Just pull you kids out of school and teach them in the home...School is just a breading ground for all sorts of nasty bugs anyway.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
sue the school board..how can they do this when it wasnt on school property?..insane, the power of those school board positions has gone to thier heads..lol

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

This is what happens when Moron Progressives breed.

The school has no authority over what happens outside of the school, yet these idiots not only do it this crap, but the people in the community allow it.

As for the nosy woman reported it? She needs to mind her own business.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Back when I went to High School in the late '70's people had guns hanging on racks in their pick-ups all the time in the school parking lot.

No one called the police. Nor were any guns stolen.

I sometimes think that while the internet is educating people to a degree, it is also making many of them extremely paranoid.
edit on 24-9-2013 by TDawgRex because: Just a quick add to clarify

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Yup in the 80s going to high school I had a 57 pickup and kept my 30-30 on the rack at all times even parked in the school parking lot. No one cared. I don't think you can even keep guns on racks anymore.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Man, how things have changed. I grew up in the 80's. I remember my friends and I playing army and dressing up in camo, etc. Remember, this was when GI Joe, Rambo, Commando, Predator, etc was popular. We would make "bases" or "forts". We had a whole cache of plastic weapons. Knives, pistols, semi-autos, grenades, sniper guns. It was all bought from the local K-Mart. They weren't red or blue with an orange tip either. They looked pretty close to the real thing. We would even go a step further and wrap a lot of the stuff with black electrical tape to make it look and feel a little more real. On weekends, when it was dark, us kids would take over the neighborhood having flashlight wars. We would simply tape little flashlights to the barrels and if you got flashed, you were dead. We were 8-10 years old and had a blast. The parents? Hell, they were just glad we were outside the house as long as we stayed in our neighborhood and came home when called.

Just one of many great memories I had growing up. And you know what? I never once thought about really shooting anybody or even hurting anybody. In fact, I've never owned a real firearm (not that there is anything wrong with it). I don't have any answers for the way things are now, but it's news like this that really makes my head hurt and actually a little sad.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

That's why I believe child safety toys are one of the worst policies of mankind.

See, dumb ppl survive childhood, grow up, marry other dumb ppl, and produce school admins!

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Grimpachi
reply to post by TDawgRex

Yup in the 80s going to high school I had a 57 pickup and kept my 30-30 on the rack at all times even parked in the school parking lot. No one cared. I don't think you can even keep guns on racks anymore.

I have seen very few in the past few years. And the ones I saw were always empty.

Sad times.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Wow I rember 15 years ago running round my school playground with toy guns and no one careing IN THR FREAKING UK.

Talk about OTT

What next ban yo yo's cause they can be used to garrote people?
edit on 24-9-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I don't understand what has gone wrong with the US. Often it seems like we are living in a completely different reality from the way I remember life.

Back in the 80's, we used to take cap gun revolvers in our holsters to school during our Western wear themed days. Some of these looked very realistic back then. No one made a stink about it and we would use them while roleplaying as cowboys out on the playground during recess.

Heck, most of the guys brought their pocket knives to school on a regular basis, no one EVER thought to use them to threaten or harm another person. We knew better than to invoke the wrath of the Principal's paddle and then face a severe butt whooping at home if we dared cross that kind of line.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join