It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many exaggerate illness online?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by kkrattiger

Thanks.
I think about it from time to time but I'm a pretty reclusive person on some subjects (I call myself a "closed open book"). I do have a blog but I don't have a single blog post on the subject of dealing with chronic illness, lol. It's largely economics, media critique, and politics--whatever takes my fancy at the moment. It does fairly well (700 to 1000 hits per month) despite my not having written anything since January. I'm currently suffering from a self-imposed writer's block out of deep concerns about the subject matters that I would address.

I am currently trying to "build a world", however, to express a few things that have been chewing at me for some time. Subject matter, again, is not on chronic illness, lol, though it may come up as an environmentally derived destructive element for the protagonist. Still building the world, lol. Thanks again.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by werewolf99

For a lot of people, online blogging or social networking is a way to work through various stages of the therapeutic process.

I'm sure a lot fo it might come off as very hyperbolic to an untrained professional or casual viewer on occassion as those dealing with certain manifestations each internalize and expresses their experiences differently - according to their own personal predispositions and various social factors.

Does this mean that some might seek attention by glamourizing or otherwise overtly dramatizing their diagnosis? Well, yes...I have seen cases of those who tend to go through that phase.

Largely I think the percieved "exaggeration" has more to do with learning to come to terms with and accept something that will be affecting them for the rest of their lives. They are having a catharsis of sorts, and as one grows and matures into their own deeper understanding of themselves and what's happening to them, their expressions and admissions will mature as well.

edit on 9/26/13 by GENERAL EYES because: grammar, formatting

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

A lie told about anything even if for the right reason gives others a loose end to use against other people. It is for this reason that anything which is widely perceived negatively has to be careful to be accurate in any info. This is because people will attack these things more than most. A loose end is a way to destroy any positive argument or closedown any bigorty. It gives the wrong people ammunition.

It would be the same if a person was making a anti racism statement and put it in a lie, it would be very dangerous beause it would potentially allow the whole subject to be easily closed down, and allow bigotry an easier time. It works the same with everything else. The internet is full of so many charletans that I believe that to be taken seriously you have to be clear and all facts correct.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

I agree wholeheartedly.

I have a condition and diagnosis myself, but there is no way you will ever find me going online and discussing in great detail about some of the things I've experienced during episodic states for that exact reason.

There are a great many people who would jump on the irrational details and use it as cannon fodder to further a campaign the continues to persecute those who have other or similar conditions.

Regarding the gentleman you mentioned in your OP, I watched one of his videos where he described the delusions he has battled, and I have had strikingly similiar patterns in my own experiences. I couldn't watch the entire video and had to pause halfway through because some elements of what he delved into began to trigger memories I have long since buried and don't wish to resurface.

It's easy for people to point fingers and lay judgement against legitimate cases because of fakers and wannabes using "mental illness" as a way to call attention to themselves or create drama or excitement in their lives....that itself, is a pretty sad and sick thing to do for a hobby or out of boredom.

Legitimate sufferers shouldn't have to contend with the playacting. It's hard enough living day to day without additional social stigmas attached to one's diagnosis.

I still get angry about how the media portrays some conditions (whether it be the news, movies or television shows)....and how so many people out there will transpose these examples as their sole understanding and perceptions onto REAL people without bothering to treat them as a human being first.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
some people are just plain crazy and focus in on illness as an excuse to not get on with it. Its a tough world out there unless of course your a privaledged prima dona who is absorbed in new age gargle about that your a target of low frequency emf or trying to be recruited for some fantasy mission on Mars. Omg come on please there are fakes out there for sure.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

This is nothing new.....and not limited to the net.

I once knew an elderly lady who had a extremely prim and proper reputation....would have skinned one of us kids if we'd told her a lie......I took her to get a few groceries after she'd had a one of those tests that are done on an operating table that tilts....but no actual operation was done.

In the store she bumped into several of her friends....the first she told she'd had tests done.....and received a bit of sympathy.....the next she told she'd had tests done in the OR....and got a bit more of a response ....at the third, she left off the part about 'tests' and just said she'd just been in the OR a few days earlier....and got even more of a response.....by the time we were leaving, she'd had a major operation!!

Human nature is what it is.....

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by frayed1

That's hilarious. I just had an experience in regards to that with my own mother. You see, I have a problem with one of my feet going numb but when I went to the neuro about my core health issue, he talked to me about nerve compression as my ring and pinky fingers go number for that very reason. Knowing this, I remedied the issue by being more cautious about crossing my legs.

My mother, on the other hand, called the other day and was most upset. You see, part of her foot had gone numb (ironic synchronicity lol) and she had gone to the neurologist. I responded with "oh my foot was doing that, too" and told her about the compression thing. She seemed a little miffed about that, admitted that the neuro had said that that was possible, too, but then said "well, he wasn't certain about it and said it could be Parkinson's." I responded sympathetically but, knowing she does genealogy, asked, "well, isn't Parkinson's genetic? I don't recall you ever mentioning Parkinson's running in our family."

She was really unhappy with that, lol. Her most recent phone call though? "I was tested for pernicious anemia because apparently, a numb foot can be a symptom of that, too." We, of course, do have a family history of pernicious anemia.
But to her credit, she did take my tip on minding leg crossing and said it seemed to be helping.

I think it has something to do with the scary factor of when something goes wrong. It's human nature to want comfort, too.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
More bloody awful public schoolboy etonian conmen at work. The Jonny Benjamin guy does not sound like he is state educated so he definitely is using it to get ahead: nowadays going to a public school isn't worth as much unless it is the right public school. Although he was on suicide watch in december 2014 so wahey one less of them would be a good thing.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
In my almost 20 years online, I've run into a lot of people who exaggerate illnesses online, have everything someone else has, can top

At one point in this one chat room I used to frequent, it was so rampant that i gave them a name: cybermuches, kind of a play on Munchausen by proxy.

So yes. I do believe it happens and that it sucks for a lot of reasons.

ETA: And many. many, many seem to have Lazarus syndrome.
edit on 2/20/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join