Island emerges near Gwadar coast after earthquake

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+25 more 
posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

QUETTA: In a rare development, an island emerged off Gwadar coast after a powerful earthquake of 7.7 magnitude struck Pakistan on Tuesday.

I thought this was pretty cool, hence the share. Something must have really shifted to push this upwards. Wonder if we will be seeing more of this soon.

According to DIG Gwadar Moazzam Jah, the island's altitude is 20 to 40 feet and width around 100 feet.
Talking to Geo news, the DIG said that the island emerged at a distance of 350 feet in the sea from the Gwadar coast.

Really not much more at the news source about it, but here is THE LINK FOR NEWS SOURCE

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Interesting, I wonder how far away the island is from the quake? S&F Funny things take so long to get on Yahoo. I guess they aren't researching on their own, they just watch to see what pops up on ATS then search for info for their artilcles. I sure that there are lots of news people monitoring this site. I would be if I worked with the news. What they are allowed to post is a whole different story.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

this is bizarre.. If it was from a volcano .. it was normal.. but after earthquake? that's news for me... (I'm referring to the uncommon incident, of course).

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I saw this after the EQ mainly being touted by B.I.N. My only thought is with that much displacement you would figure mass deviation in the bouys in that area and so far nothing really significant one in event mode but nothing drastic. Still pretty cool, Island off the Africa coast this past yr, a new island in the artic sea earlier this year as well, really makes you think something is bubbling up...

SaneThinking

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Atlantis has returned!

No but seriously very cool. makes you wonder if during the japan tsunami something similar happend under water.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Anyone have information on how deep the sea floor was before the island rose?...

Wouldn't this raise the sea level around the planet? And how much?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Is this story for real?

Didn't Edgar Cayce predict land rising from the water due to Earth Changes?

Like one of his final predictions before Pole Shift type Earth Changes?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
more info here w/ video:
www.incpak.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

edition.cnn.com...

cnn reporting the island too

The quake was strong enough to cause a mass 30 to 40 feet high to emerge from the ocean like a small mountain island off the coast of Gwadar, local police official Mozzam Jah said. A large number of people gathered to view the newly formed island, he said. Zahid Rafi, principal seismologist for the National Seismic Monitoring Center, confirmed the island had formed. He said it was "not surprising," considering the magnitude of the earthquake.

not suprising? this is the first ive heard of islands just popping up, wont this cause a tsunami though??

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
wow just look at that pic in link...

www.geo.tv...

sorry just realised same pic in op
edit on 24-9-2013 by anonymous1legion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

This is the area thought to be where The garden of Eden was. The Tigris and Euphrates rivers.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I wonder if this island was a large piece of rock that essentially broke free from below during the Earthquake and surfaced like a submarine. With that said, one heck of an official explanation is necessary.
edit on 24-9-2013 by MysteriousHusky because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I am also curious as to how far away this was from the epicenter. I mean, would this be a sign of where the pressure relieved itself? I am also curious as to how deep the water is that this arose from.

Also, why didnt it cause a wave shift in the ocean. That seems like a lot of energy to push that thing up.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
One report (link from OP) says..

According to DIG Gwadar Moazzam Jah, the island's altitude is 20 to 40 feet and width around 100 feet.

Talking to Geo news, the DIG said that the island emerged at a distance of 350 feet in the sea from the Gwadar coast.

Another account says...

GWADAR: A rock-like island has emerged some 1.5 kilometers off Gwadar following earthquake, officials say.
...The newly appearing island is said to have a mountainous terrain rising up to a hundred feet.

Those are pretty wildly differing accounts. The picture makes the second account seem more accurate, based on the horizon line and general perspective... that's a substantial island.

If that's the case, isn't that a pretty big island to pop up as a result of an earthquake (?) Something doesn't seem right here. Maybe just early reporting/confusion?
edit on 9.24.2013 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

grey580
Atlantis has returned!

No but seriously very cool. makes you wonder if during the japan tsunami something similar happend under water.

I read somewhere they knew where the sunami came from, two plates pushing against each other with massive forces and they finally slipped along miles of area releasing massive shock wave, happened during the quake. Don't remember where the article was. The same thing set to happen on our west coast, Washington area.

They are also expecting big quake in central united States with fears it will trigger Yellowstone. Google the sand blows, they are happening all over, very strange.

The Bot

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Just a terrible thought crossed my mind:

Link
The dead terror chief was given an Islamic burial in the North Arabian Sea in a bid to stop his fanatical followers turning his final resting place into a shrine.
Officials did not reveal the exact location where sailors on the American aircraft carrier the USS Carl Vinson lowered his body in to the water.
But two Pentagon officials said the burial was videotaped and that it probably will be released soon.

Wonder if his body has found a new resting place?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
That's interesting since this is where a port is going to be built... Very powerful people are not happy about this. US powerful people being 1 of them.

US not happy over Port China/Russia/Iran $$
edit on 24-9-2013 by tracehd1 because: Add link

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Here is yet another account of the new "island"...

Islamabad: A small 'island' of about 40 square feet has appeared in the sea off the Gwadar coast as a result of the strong earthquake that struck remote southwestern Pakistan.

TV channels showed images of the 'island' that sprung up after the 7.7 magnitude earthquake hit southwestern part of the country, killing 45 people and injuring dozens.

According to DIG Gwadar Moazzam Jah, the 'island' is at a distance of 350 feet from the Gwadar coast.

Now, that one I can believe. I think maybe enough for 3 sea lions to fit comfortably on.

It will be interesting to see how this one plays out. I looked at Google Earth in the water surrounding Gwadar, and there is an extremely shallow shelf around the whole peninsula. It probably wouldn't take too much to pop some rocks up above the water line. Although, I am that betting the image they were showing on TV is not the island in question.
edit on 9.24.2013 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

voyger2

this is bizarre.. If it was from a volcano .. it was normal.. but after earthquake? that's news for me... (I'm referring to the uncommon incident, of course).

Earthquakes are caused by the interaction of two plates, which come in contact in a number of different ways. As you can see in the below image, in the instance of a reverse drop-slip fault, one plate is pushed up over the other one, and that's likely what happened here, it lifted up enough to get some of it out of the water.

(Source)

The San Andreas fault in California, by the way, is a strike-slip fault, which is why California will not "drop into the ocean after the big one."

edit on 24-9-2013 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I hereby name this Island Soloprotocol Land and all are welcome....so how do you go about claiming a piece of new dry land anyway?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join