It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An open letter to Skepic Overlord

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Hi guys

This is here for a reason ............ It's not a rant it's more an observation

Personally I love the new ATS with 2 exceptions

I would ask please may we have the old emoticons back, we all knew what we meant then (with deference to Bfft)

And please can the new mail notification be reinstalled

Just a thought

Apart from that

Bravo

Cody

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   

cody599
Hi guys

This is here for a reason ............ It's not a rant it's more an observation

Personally I love the new ATS with 2 exceptions

I would ask please may we have the old emoticons back, we all knew what we meant then (with deference to Bfft)

Just a thought

Apart from that

Bravo

Cody

Why did you feel the need to make a thread on this when there is a thread BY SO for suggestions?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Some of the old features are back and navigation is making more sense as its used more.

But some of the faces, not so sure.

This is "puzzled" ~~~>
I thought he was all mad?

Two of the icons are identical, the open mouth and wow,

Here goes "rolls eyes" ~~~>
Looks more like a perv?

Is the barf dude dead?
Guess that was one serious vomit.
edit on 24-9-2013 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

cody599

The emoticons are being worked on by some members/volunteers. There's even a thread on it. It's all over the site that the emoticons are being addressed. Have you read ANY of the ongoing threads regarding the new ATS?

There is a new mail notification. It is an envelope in the upper right corner of your screen, and it lights up real nice when you have new mail.

That should just about do it for your thread.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by InTheFlesh1980

As InTheFlesh has noted. The emoticons are being addressed. Here's a quote from SO as to why they needed to be changed.

Sorry. In order to maintain the limited HTTP-call strategy of the new ATS, the smileys should be PNG in a grid for CSS sprites.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

We have ATS's best working on them. I have confidence they will come up with suitable replacements.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
The emoticons have been changed from what they were to what they are now but to my mind they're still not right , no doubt work continues but if this redesign is about modernising the site then I would suggest animated figures in different colours to reflect the mood they portray .

edit on 24-9-2013 by gortex because: Site not Sight ...lol

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Also, ATS deforms if I minimise the web page - Not good when I'm trying to browse without my boss noticing.

I still vote for the old ATS - and who ever designe the emoticons should be slapped
(ew, see? )

: P
edit on 24-9-2013 by ObservingYou because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

ObservingYou
I still vote for the old ATS - and who ever designe the emoticons should be slapped
(ew, see? )

Wow, that adds a whole new subtext to your slapping.
edit on 24-9-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

ObservingYou
(ew, see? )

That's kinda harsh considering you're saying it right to the people who made them, and I'd imagine, put real sincere effort into doing something nice for the rest of us?

I'm not sure by name, which members all worked on the Emoticon set..but it was member created and as such, 100% unpaid volunteer because they cared enough to do it.

Hmm.. Just seems so many are so quick to be harsh when the amount of work that went into some areas of what is casually dismissed is rather large to consider, given how it's a labor of love for the most part.

* I'd also note by what SO has said? He didn't just re-skin the site or revamp the interface. Whole sections of the infrastructure of the site code were rewritten entirely. ..or so I read words to that effect in what he's said on the topic. I'd imagine, his life would have been simpler to have never tried...and no one raised his pay for doing it, right? lol..... No one can say he doesn't love ATS, that's for sure.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Firstly, my apologies for missing the aforementioned threads

Secondly, Well said sir

Cody

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
That's kinda harsh considering you're saying it right to the people who made them, and I'd imagine, put real sincere effort into doing something nice for the rest of us?

I'm not sure by name, which members all worked on the Emoticon set..but it was member created and as such, 100% unpaid volunteer because they cared enough to do it.

Hmm.. Just seems so many are so quick to be harsh when the amount of work that went into some areas of what is casually dismissed is rather large to consider, given how it's a labor of love for the most part.

Wrab, if you do anything like site building on the internet it needs to be a labour of love, but there is a need for it to be right. Frankly I don't give a toss for the emoticons, the other problems I'm getting are far more important, the screen doesn't fit into the browser, I have a cut-off on the right side, and because of that some link buttons don't work, (maybe the visual button is offset from the underlying link just enough for it not to work) The menu bar is split between two lines so that the lower one obscures text, avatars etc; I can't make my own post as the subscribe button does not work, so I have to use the reply button all the time. I can't access all of the picture gallery, or the Firehose if it is up and running probably for the same reason, aka the cut off. There is no scroll bar at the bottom for a page to offset the cut-off. It is all a bit of a mess at this end. I really have no idea what the underlying problem itself is, but there is a problem in making the page fit into this browser at least, as a matter of fact I never could view a page in its entirety on any of the old systems, you always had to scroll horizontally, I can't even do that now.
edit on 24-9-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000

ObservingYou
(ew, see? )

* I'd also note by what SO has said? He didn't just re-skin the site or revamp the interface. Whole sections of the infrastructure of the site code were rewritten entirely. ..or so I read words to that effect in what he's said on the topic. I'd imagine, his life would have been simpler to have never tried...and no one raised his pay for doing it, right? lol..... No one can say he doesn't love ATS, that's for sure.

It's just a turn of phrase Wrabbbit - not meant literally.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

darkbake

ObservingYou
(ew, see? )

Wow, that adds a whole new subtext to your slapping.
edit on 24-9-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

Aha - love it!

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Really? The emoticoms? How about spelling his name right first?

Who cares about the emoticoms....you can go download any of the ones you want and use them.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

A good point
If delivered in a less than friendly manner

Mods as I am past my edit deadline could one of you please
fix my title.

Much appreciated
Cody

top topics

join