It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

android os smartphone , browser choice : dolphin or chrome ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
as ^ after a period of familiarisation and reckless experimentation - I am trying to streamline my phone get rid of everything not needed - so whats the recommended ` one browser ` ?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

I actually prefer android firefox due to the ad-blocking add ons

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I like to avoid feeding the google beast, so i avoid chrome completely on all platforms.

firefox would be my top choice also.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I prefer dolphin, its a little slower to render than opera but it renders everything.

Chrome?

Google says not compatible for me, sideloading the apk gives me a similar experience to firefox. Slow, laggy and incomplete renders... and no flash.

Dolphin for sure/

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
How do you remove chrome from an Android. That's the operating system it comes with.
If the phone is rooted, can you completely replace chrome?
I tried dolphin, but never got the hang of it, but I still have chrome in there with it

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

PtolemyII
How do you remove chrome from an Android. That's the operating system it comes with.
If the phone is rooted, can you completely replace chrome?
I tried dolphin, but never got the hang of it, but I still have chrome in there with it

Uhh android *IS* the OS. not chrome.

Chrome is the browser. You have crhome OS on certain devices.. not android devices.

android is a linux derivatives, that is kept in house to google and used for tablets and phones. chrome os also a linux derivative kept in house, but is for netbooks and pc hardware (iirc).

chrome browser is not the os. but it is the main interface for chrome os.

googled yet? No.. you can always confuse it if you need.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Yep Firefox for me too on my Droid

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

ignorant_ape
browser choice : dolphin or chrome ?

Neither. Chrome is just Google's spy browser. And Dolphin has/had very serious security and privacy issues which you can read about here.

Although, the makers of Dolphin Browser have claimed to have fixed the security issues in version 7. You can read about that here.

The browser I would recommend on Android is "Boat Browser". It's lightweight, very fast, and secure. There's also another browser which is kinda new which is also very lightweight, fast, and secure called "Naked Browser".

But, I've been using Boat Browser on all my Android devices for a couple years now and it's my favorite browser on Android.

link   

winofiend
I prefer dolphin, its a little slower to render than opera but it renders everything.

Try Boat Browser. It's better and faster than Dolphin.

link   

PtolemyII

Android does not and has never came with Chrome browser installed. A phone manufacturer might install it as part of their bloatware, but Chrome browser is not part of the Android OS.

There is a stock browser as part of the Android OS, but it has no name other than "stock browser".

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

... If my system is checked, it says I'm using Chrome.
I have jellybean something or other as well
I am not completely versed in this kind of tech stuff so....

OK, my mistake. This phone is Linux, but my old HTC was chrome 11.
I say it register as that many times.
edit on 9/24/13 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

winofiend
android is a linux derivatives, that is kept in house to google and used for tablets and phones. chrome os also a linux derivative kept in house, but is for netbooks and pc hardware (iirc).

I'm not sure what you mean by "kept in house". I don't know about Chrome, but Android is an open-source OS that is freely available to anyone to modify and use.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

PtolemyII
reply to post by winofiend

... If my system is checked, it says I'm using Chrome.
I have jellybean something or other as well
I am not completely versed in this kind of tech stuff so....

OK, my mistake. This phone is Linux, but my old HTC was chrome 11.
I say it register as that many times.
edit on 9/24/13 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

I got a jelly bean too. Chrome is on there, but the default browser is whats loaded. If your concerned about the google spyware there's lots more on it besides the chrome browser. Go to Settings - Then Apps - Then slide across to Running apps. Most of the google stuff can be removed.
Android is Linux, with an Android layer on top, running java apps.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

I removed a lot of them when i got the new phone .i just never knew chrome was also Google.
My bad

top topics

join