It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ''Clothing'' Agenda

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Clothes are a part of our ritualized lifestyle. Be it at work, or in life as a whole, we wear different things to express who we are (though not always). Suits, ties, all sorts of clothing accessories are given to us and we are told to wear them because that's just how it's done and there's no way we're going to be successful otherwise. What is surprising, is how globalized clothing trends have become. It would appear we live on a ''suit and tie'' planet - just look at all the political meetings. Do you think this is an accident, or there is some sort of agenda behind what we are encouraged to wear?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
All I can say to you is the fact that since being born, the suit, shirt, tie and shined up shoes are worn for weddings, funerals and job interviews. I have always turned up to an interview wearing all of the above clothing, even though in my youth I was doing factory and other manual jobs where there would be no need to wear nice clothes, I still did so out of respect. That's all there is to it, my parents always encouraged me to dress to impress because first impressions last and at least a future employer can see that at least you have made the effort...

Even when I was living in Australia for 4 years I still went to interviews in a shirt, tie and jacket, even though the temperature outside was 40, plus degrees and I was sweating my pants off. Most of the time I got to the interview and the folks on the other side of the table who were interviewing me were all wearing shorts and t-shirts. They all thought I was mad for wearing so many clothes and they even told me so, but if it is something you have been brought up to do, then it never seems to go away....

As for what I wear now, I like to buy clothes from retro, vintage, charity shops to get clothes that are different and usually cheaper than the crappy clothes that people buy from regular shops. I like to mix up clothes from different era's. I hate the fact that so many people go to crappy clothes shops, buy crappy clothes and then go outside and look as crappy as everybody else does in their crappy clothes. I believe that you should have some pride in the way that you look and dress, but maybe that is just the way that I am...

I like individuality, especially hats, I have thousands of them, I cannot be seen out without a hat on my head...

Love clothes.....

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Why do people like gold?

Its just yellow metal

people like and use what is promoted through the lands as fancy, pretty, expensive strong etc etc etc

Clothes are no exception. I would love to wear a t-shirt and shorts to work, but when i go into a room full of people in suits you pretty much have to wear one too
no-one wants to let the side down.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by FlowThruSpace

I see it as a way of outwardly judging the conformity of others. Funny how my hubby and I were just discussing this very thing this morning. Hundreds of years ago clothes really only meant status to nobility, now I suppose us "commoners" try to fit in as "mass nobility" by all dressing the same in overpriced brand name clothing, in an attempt to hide our individuality (god forbid it show in public) and blend in to gain acceptance from the rest of society.
Boy have they got some of us duped.
I'm off to shop with Macklemore at the THRIFT SHOP.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by FlowThruSpace

Formal clothes or any clothes unique to a certain segement of society is a means for reaffirming the cultural norms we identify with.

In my work life, I belong to the "Suit and Tie" segment and I adhere to this protocol due to predefined expectations which are required to traverse the business world I deal with. However, as soon as I get home, I put on my favorite jeans and sweater.

Clothes perpetuate the norms of each sub cultural we identify with. This changes with time.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I haven't got a problem with the whole "wear a suit to look smart" thing, its been like that for hundreds of years - And people genuinely do look smarter, also seem to be respected more when wearing a suit. Its just one of them things..

What I do have a problem with - is celebrity clothing fashion.

Take for example the new wave of Bum/Fanny bags that I'm seeing - Retro styled bumbags that look like they have been taken out of their parents teen year box. I honesty don't get it. I even see people wearing crocks, Jellybaby crocks. . . In case you forgot what Crocks look like:

My personal opinion is that people who wear these look like twats - I don't know if that's the look they're going for but they do look like twats. Celebrity everything is #e - Individualism in clothing has gone, its all labeled, fashioned to a certain look - everybody looks the same.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Aaaaw come on now! I wear Crocs all the time and it has nothing to do with what the heck any celebrity is wearing- it has to do with the fact that I dont like wearing shoes much!

One of my Crocs.....

top topics

join