It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What should an artist do if...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Wile living in another state, Someone had threw away 3 very nicely painted canvases, as we know the larger ones are not cheap...These ones were dropped off in the shared apartment housing's dumpster, I had woken up extra early that morning for my walk and I was greeted by these wonderful treasures...the only thing identifying the artist is a scrawled pencil on the backs of them with the name TIGER...

I kept them and is now a little over a year later...one looks complete and I have it hanging in my kitchen ppl admire it so much...the other two says to me not completed or perhaps paint over me...what does one do???

thanks for reading and I hope to hear back from you fellow artist's...

Truly,

shells4u
edit on 9/23/13 by shells4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by shells4u

P.S.

I can supply pictures of them if that helps further this discussion...

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Ok here's a suggestion. Photograph the ones you want to repaint over, to keep on file , then use those ones for your own work. If the person who painted them ever turns up , you can offer to have those ones you painted over produced on canvas as a print.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Take a photo first and then you could flip and re-stretch the canvas so the original is on the back. Best of both worlds!

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

BEST ANSWER SO FAR!!!

Take a photo first and then you could flip and re-stretch the canvas so the original is on the back. Best of both worlds!

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I paint over whatever is available, within reason and respect. Do you value the skills of that artist more than your creative urges to paint your own vision? You can also decide what needs to be done to complete the composition and do it. You can paint over it as much as you want. Lastly, as far as I know, there are no unwritten artist karma laws that would keep you from changing them. The only concern I know of, is once you are finished painting a surface, you need another... And so the collection begins.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

. Lastly, as far as I know, there are no unwritten artist karma laws
reply to post by apydomis

Gee thanks, Now I am off to creep around a rabbit hole...BRACE YOUR SELF ATS...

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   

As an artist myself I say if they were in the dumpster then its fair game, keep the one you like and make the other two your own, paint over them. I paint on masonite which I cut out to match my design.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I like altering mundane thrift store paintings and found art by adding in some Lovecraftian looking abominations, flying saucers, or other bizarre weirdness.

It's yours now. Do what you want with it. Finding art in a dumpster pretty much gives you license to take it over.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   
you can repaint a canvas? How?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   

As an artist myself I say if they were in the dumpster then its fair game, keep the one you like and make the other two your own, paint over them. I paint on masonite which I cut out to match my design.

reply to post by JHumm

Have you ever read about wartime art and practices amoungst artists?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

There are special techniques to doing this so as not to disturb the painting that lies under neath...

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Paint em! Canvas/frames are expensive! I always go to the thrift store and buy old framed paintings. $2, sold! Much cheaper, and sometimes they have sweet frames.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Paint em! Canvas/frames are expensive! I always go to the thrift store and buy old framed paintings. $2, sold! Much cheaper, and sometimes they have sweet frames.
reply to post by denybedoomed

AGREE!!! I Too have reused some very NICE!!! Frames...*BONUS...sometimes...you find antique and/vintage

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

As an artist who sharpied Kaytiger, Krattiger, K-Rat-Tiger, Regittark, Kay rat tiger, & whatever other derivations of my name on the backs of stretcher bars on canvases while taking university art dept painting classes over 4 yrs...I'm kinda intrigued. Concerned, maybe. or wondering. Hmmm... Am I missing any paintings?

by sharpie, i mean 'Whatever i had in hand at the moment to put my name on my newly stretched or purchased canvas lest it be LOST!' :-)
edit on 26-9-2013 by kkrattiger because: Italicized thing

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by kkrattiger

is in pencil I will post a pic...later...

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Can u describe the paintings? Easier than putting up a pic. Not that theyre mine (whatre the odds of that) but I'd like to hear more about dumpster paintings. BTW paint over em! A new coat of underpainting in a neutral color should hide the old artwork.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by kkrattiger

two feathers...plateaus Native American Indian with a black cowboy hat laying on his side...The other one has a pinto mustang...clock...etc...

edit on 10/11/13 by shells4u because: (no reason given)

top topics

join