It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Family glitch' in health law could be painful

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
It seems yet another PPACA-ObamaCare anomaly has been unearthed.

This one is potentially devastating.

It has to do with the percentage of income defined as "Household Income".

The percentage determines whether or not somebody in a "Household" is eligible for such things as "exchange" health insurance policies and any special subsidies and credits.

I guess there's just no end to "finding out what's in it" is there ?

Children by themselves are *not* eligible for benefits (like Medicaid for example) if their parents are not eligible, even if parents don't make enough money to pay.

It could leave up to 500,000 children without coverage and cost some families thousands of dollars.

A so-called "family glitch" in the 2010 health care law threatens to cost some families thousands of dollars in health insurance costs and leave up to 500,000 children without coverage, insurance and health care analysts say.

That's unless Congress fixes the problem, which seems unlikely given the House's latest move Friday to strip funding from the law, which is also called the Affordable Care Act.

Congress defined "affordable" as 9.5% or less of an employee's household income, mostly to make sure people did not leave their workplace plans for subsidized coverage through the exchanges. But the "error" was that it only applies to the employee — and not his or her family. So, if an employer offers a woman affordable insurance, but doesn't provide it for her family, they cannot get subsidized help through the state health exchanges.

The Children !!

The Children !!

The Children !!

Democrats have yet to offer any legislation to amend this latest travesty !!
[ but we all are confident that they soon will ... right ? ]

'Family glitch' in health law could be painful

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Quit your complaining lowly serf, didn't you know we had to pass it to find out what was in it?

Stand over there and put your testicles in the 'voting' machine.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Yeah, "Pass it to see whats in it".

I just don't see ACA surviving anothe 12 months.

The next election cycle will end up with us having the GOP in charge again. So our choice is: the frying pan, or the fire. Enjoy!

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I had to get a job to help pay off student debt faster..tonight at orientation..they discussed how everyone would sign up for it..there were lots of oooos and ahhs. Er'body gettin' insurance up in here and all of them thought it was totally free...;(. So my family has blue cross and pays around 200/ payday (biweekly)...yet millions are going to get it free that in reality could afford it? At least they could afford a little chip in..what's the deal? Is this totally free?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Neopan100
I had to get a job to help pay off student debt faster..tonight at orientation..they discussed how everyone would sign up for it..there were lots of oooos and ahhs. Er'body gettin' insurance up in here and all of them thought it was totally free...;(. So my family has blue cross and pays around 200/ payday (biweekly)...yet millions are going to get it free that in reality could afford it? At least they could afford a little chip in..what's the deal? Is this totally free?

It is still up to the employer. In my shop, we pay 70% of the premiums for our employees.

Some employers will pass the cost on 100%. I am sure most will, actually.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Neopan100

And don't forget the rum in the punch...

millions who can't afford it will have to pay !!

The children will suffer

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   

xuenchen

millions who can't afford it will have to pay !!

Yep, they will suffer and pay, and STILL not have health insurance.
No hope, no change!

The children will suffer

And they call it "Progressive'!

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Well things are Progressively getting worse.

top topics

join