It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So I had a weird dream the other night...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I would like to start this off by sharing that I have fairly eclectic musical tastes (I like many different types of music, from traditional Irish, some Hip Hop, Classical to Boston Hardcore and Punk), but for the most part, I listen to very hard rock, or heavy metal (Black Label Society, Clutch, Megadeth, Metallica, etc.) when I'm in the mood for music.

That being said, I had a strange dream the other night, the details of which are lost to me other than the "ending", in which I was walking down a hallway, possibly of a school, and I began to hear the song "Tom Sawyer" by Rush playing. I thought to myself (in the dream), "I really need to get myself some Rush and listen to it, because it's pretty incredible stuff!"

Now for the rub, I've never been drawn the Rush's music in waking life, I mean, the few songs I have heard seemed okay, but nothing I would necessarily go out of my way to listen to.

So for the music buffs, specifically those that are into that kind of music, do you think that maybe I subconsciously like Rush, and should get some to listen to regularly? or am i taking the dream out of context?

Am I missing out on something if I ignore the dream?
edit on 9/23/2013 by ProfessorChaos because: added content

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

Well, I am not a MASSIVE Rush fan, but I would say that if you have been inspired to listen to them for any reason, be it a dream born forth from the deepest slumber, or a passing whim in a more wakeful moment, you should. They are part of the DNA of modern rock music, and have influenced some of the coolest bastards ever born.

However, what your dream means for you might actually have nothing, or at least little to do with the prog odyssey that is the music of Rush. In either case, go ahead and listen to some. Turn off the lights, put on some dark glasses (yes, in a dark room) crack open a beer, and get lost in the epic journey ahead!

\m/

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   

I've had Lady Gaga stuck on repeat in my head for a few days now. There's a possibility demons, spirits, aliens or government do exist and one of these have taken possession of my mind and is committing jihad on my brain because maybe karma exists and I did something wrong in this or a previous life and my next step or reincarnation is to come back as a caged chicken and spend my spirit animal life in a tiny cage overlooking free range chickens happily peck away at dirt, while I just sqwak and make eggs till I succumb to some horrible disease.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SasquatchHunter

Poker Face... Oh, for the love of God... get it the hell out of my head!!!!

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Wow!...did you just say all that in one breath?

Far be it for me to say....but yep I would go with your assumption, you are pretty much doomed!
I have a craving for scrambled egg all of a sudden

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Best way to cure yourself of The Dreaded Gaga, is to plug yourself into some Dimmu Borgir (I recommend Progenies of the Great Apocalypse) and imagine a red hot poker getting ever nearer, searingly close to Gagas face, while you scream her lyrics back in her face death metal style. Very relaxing pastime I reckon

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

ProfessorChaos

Poker Face... Oh, for the love of God... get it the hell out of my head!!!!

Poke poke poker face? Poker po po poker face???
my telephone tuh tuh tuh telephone??? dont telephone me??
applause applause uh-plause pu-pu-plause plause???????

What kind of sorcery mind control is this?
I envy your Rush situation.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

You're gonna feel horrible when you crack open that egg and there's a baby chick singing Bad Romance.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

I once had a dream where in the background I could hear a song with music and lyrics I didn't recognise and I couldn't even recognise the artist. I tried frantically for days to discover what it was to no avail!

Not as bad as the chick will feel....I'm that hungry I could eat a scabby donkey on a muffin right now!

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

Scabby donkey muffin, never heard of that entrees. Just like the Antarcticans always say 'You don't choose the spirit animal, it chooses you." Prophecy.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

SasquatchHunter
reply to post by Logos23

Scabby donkey muffin, never heard of that entrees. Just like the Antarcticans always say 'You don't choose the spirit animal, it chooses you." Prophecy.

Scabby donkey muffin...I have never heard that euphemism before.
I'll have to add it to list!
On topic, (if there is one or are we all captive rubes of the Proff's Chaos)Rush is okay. Just heard that they are not touring for their 40th anniversary.
(Feeling old now...maybe my black light still works)
edit on 23-9-2013 by the owlbear because: I like turtles

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Okay I'm gonna say it......

Am I the only person who has never even heard of this "Rush" band?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Logos23

That depends, there may be an age gap involved.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Obviously the spy agencies beamed this song at you via microwaves. They do it all the time. The only cure I've ever found is to replay some horrid jingle to overpower it.

"Double your pleasure,
double your fun.
With Doublemint, Doublemint, Doublemint gum."

Keep repeating until other song is totally crushed. Takes a few minutes.

edit on 23-9-2013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
What's worse is that Jane's Addiction song. The one with the barking dogs.

*woof woof woof, woof, woof woof woof*

"Why I want something man, I don't wanna pay for it!"

The most annoying lyric to be stuck in your head from that song:

"And I walk right through the doooor"

Who the hell likes Jane's Addiction? Who calls up the rock station and says, "Maaaaan, you got to play some Jane's Addiction!" Seriously, who does that?

My neighbors dog barks enough as it is. If I want to hear some dogs barking, I'll just open my window.

edit on 23-9-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

ProfessorChaos

Logos23

That depends, there may be an age gap involved.

If you are implying I may be too young to know who they are I am willing to go along with that.....

Though sadly I don't think that is the reasonable explanation

Are they well known in the UK?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

Rush is an allegedly Canadian band or so I hear. Leading theories however suggest they are interdimensional time travelers, sent back to the 1970's and play disturbing disco electronic glam rock hair band music not entirely sure that's the correct genre who knows with aliens. So listening to their music is like getting brain raped from some distant space time black hole.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

They're very well-known all over the world. I have heard of them, and even heard a couple songs, but I was never really exposed to their catalog.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   

MystikMushroom
What's worse is that Jane's Addiction song. The one with the barking dogs.

*woof woof woof, woof, woof woof woof*

"Why I want something man, I don't wanna pay for it!"

The most annoying lyric to be stuck in your head from that song:

"And I walk right through the doooor"

Who the hell likes Jane's Addiction? Who calls up the rock station and says, "Maaaaan, you got to play some Jane's Addiction!" Seriously, who does that?

My neighbors dog barks enough as it is. If I want to hear some dogs barking, I'll just open my window.

edit on 23-9-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

That would be "Been Caught Stealing" from the 'Ritual De Lo Habitual' Album.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

That rather depends on the circles within which one moves. I know plenty of people in their late teens and early twenties who like them, despite the heyday of the band having wrapped up well before the birth of these individuals. Similarly, I love Deep Purple, Led Zep, Black Sabbath, and so on, despite the fact that I am but twenty eight years of age, and therefore was not even born when the world was first alerted to the incidence of Smoke on The Water, or for that matter when the Stairway To Heaven was first climbed, let alone when the War Pigs were being unleashed (in case you were wondering, they are all tracks from the previously mentioned bands).

It's down to taste and access via word of mouth I guess. Most of the people I hang out with are rockers, moshers, metal heads, and hippies, so that seventies prog vibe is something I come into contact with all the time. If you mostly listen to more modern stuff, then Rush could easily have passed you by.

As an aside I feel I ought to mention that Rush are featured on Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock, during which one is expected to play several movements of music by the band, one after another. Tis a taxing, but most worthy quest to complete that section of the game!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join