It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 Corinthians; The calling and the cross

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
~ ~
colbe:
Justification is life long.

DISRAELI:
"I think you are confusing justification with sanctification.
Justification is the new relationship with God made POSSIBLE by WHAT CHRIST DID.
It is sanctification which is the life-long process.

The distinction is clear in Romans.
On the one hand, "Since we are justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ"- Romans ch5 v1

~ ~ ~

God did not give everyone reading the Bible the authority to interpret it. He gave it to the Church who gave us the Bible. Prime example here, do not believe the heresies. "Faith Alone" came from Martin Luther's head not God. Luther rejected the faith in the 16th century and came up with new teachings
that never came from God.

Does Saint Paul have his own "NOT by Faith Alone" verse?
In Romans 10:9-10 (NKJV) we read:

If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness*, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Plainly read: to be "saved" you must "confess" and "believe". Obviously, "salvation by faith alone" is ruled out here.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe

Nevertheless, the important point is that salvation comes through the death of Christ- that is to say, through the Cross.
The whole of Christianity agrees on that point, including the Catholic community, as I was demonstrating by quoting your own catechism and other teachings.

That is what Paul is talking about, and that is what "human wisdom" is incapable of understanding.
In other words, the conflcit in this chapter is between God and the world.
Can we focus on that conflict?
Those for God on one side- those against God on the other side.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   

DISRAELI
reply to post by colbe

Nevertheless, the important point is that salvation comes through the death of Christ- that is to say, through the Cross.
The whole of Christianity agrees on that point, including the Catholic community, as I was demonstrating by quoting your own catechism and other teachings.

That is what Paul is talking about, and that is what "human wisdom" is incapable of understanding.
In other words, the conflcit in this chapter is between God and the world.

An "important point" do not define our salvation is only accomplished "through the death of Christ, that is to say, through the Cross." That is the easy grace of the false "imputation" heresy.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church speaks of Christ's redeeming act and states it is our "cooperation" with the help of God's grace that justifies a person.

1993 Justification establishes COOPERATION between God's grace and man's freedom. On man's PART it is expressed by the ASSENT of faith to the Word of God, which invites him to conversion, and in the COOPERATION of charity with the prompting of the Holy Spirit who precedes and preserves his assent:

You love Paul, so do I. He said in Phil 2, with fear and trembling WORK out your salvation. Proof Salvation does not come only through the death of Our Lord on the Cross or the other heresy by Faith alone.

God bless you DISRAELI,

colbe

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe

you shouldn't post from Catholic writings, the Catechism while you reject her, very hypocritical and confusing.

I was obliged to quote from Roman Catholic writings, because I was trying to remind you of the teachings of your own community on the subject, since you were clearly forgetting what they were.

You love Paul, so do I. He said in Phil 2, with fear and trembling WORK out your salvation. Proof Salvation does not come only through the death of Our Lord on the Cross.

The point is that the death of Christ on the Cross is the absolute MINIMUM for salvation, in Christian teaching.
If Christ had not died, nobody would ever have been able to save themselves.

In other words, the conflict in this chapter is between God and the world.

You claim to love Paul. Let me point out that most of the first chapter of 1 Corinthians is a direct personal criticism of yourself- or it might as well be.
He complains that the church-members in Corinth are obsessed with quarrelling about the differences between their groups. He indicates that this is because they are not focussing on what really matters, namely the death of Christ on the Cross, which is what separates all of them from the unbelievers.
Well, that’s you, isn’t it? Exactly!
You are obsessed with quarrelling and nit-picking about differences between Catholic and Protestant and apparently incapable of raising your sights from the mud to contemplate the Cross, which is the essential mark of the Christian faith, the difference between Christian faith and unbelief, the subject of this passage, and the subject of this thread.
You are behaving exactly like the stupid quarrelsome people in Corinth.
You’re even using one of the same slogans! (“I belong to Peter”, v12).
So there you are, an entire chapter in the New Testament devoted to trying to explain to Colbe where Colbe is going wrong!
Is there any chance that you can stop quarrelling with fellow-Christians, just once, and focus on the more important conflict between God and the world?

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
The most recent thread in this series is;

The saints and the sinner

posted on Jan, 12 2024 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Worth reviving, since it hasn't been seen for a while.

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Today, if you hear His voice, do not harden your heart in rebellion. Whoever conceals his sins will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy and forgiveness. If you repent and believe in the gospel, putting your faith in Jesus Christ, you will inherit salvation, which leads to everlasting life. With this salvation comes a necessary spiritual rebirth; God will give you a new heart and His Holy Spirit, which will give you wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, put His Laws on your heart and mind, guide you into all the truth, help you, and comfort you. By the blood of Jesus, sanctifying you and cleansing you of all unrighteousness—conforming you to His image.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join