It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Gun that aims itself...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Just doing a little look around on youtube and came across an interesting little video on a gun that can aim itself.

Now I am an avid gun enthusiast although for legal reasons I cannot own one, but for those of you that can this should peak some interest. So here you go....

I find it really interesting how far we have come with guns and technology...

It does show the shooting of animals so please beware if that bothers you..

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by tsurfer2000h

I didn't watch the video, but the title of a gun that aims itself?

I love guns, but to me that only marks our descent towards destruction.

Why? For what?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by bigman88

I love guns, but to me that only marks our descent towards destruction.

Why? For what?

If you get the chance watch the video it may surprise you..

I don't see this being something that will be bought by just anyone as this can't be cheap, but I do find it interesting as a use for military and law enforcement purposes...and certain big game hunters.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Now we just need a bullet that will not kill innocent people and we're all set!

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

bigman88
Why? For what?

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

It's technology.
"Whatever can be done, will be done".
~ Andrew S. Grove

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I have heard tell of this bit of kit before, and all I can say, is that as a way to blow something's head clean off, what it lacks in any honour or skill, it makes up for in cold, mechanical efficiency. Give a few total novices these things, and they could do some serious damage, with next to bugger all training. From frustrated postal worker to cyborg death machine in an afternoon. And really, who doesn't want that eh?

I hope my sarcasm is not lost on my fellow members in saying that.

Trigger weight being the only real effort involved in taking any kind of life, or hitting a plate target, has never sat particularly well with me. If crap needs doing, I favour steel edges over flying lead any day. Do not mistake my total derision for this weapon as an inability to appreciate its elegance of design, a failure to be impressed by the technological achievement it represents. In that regard at least, it is amazing, fantastic, utterly mind blowing (literally, depending on what it is aimed at of course). But does anyone really NEED this thing?

Those who want to shoot game, generally learn how to do it first, and so they bloody well ought to. Might as well at least pretend to have some respect for the animal (just not enough to allow it to defend itself from your elevated positional advantage, or indeed the high powered round, passing through its heart). This thing though? It serves no purpose what so ever, other than to remove any skill deficiency of the shooter, from the equation. Now, even the most cack handed moron ever born, will be able to decide precisely where on the target, they want to place their round.

It's a damned good thing that this weapon was only recently invented. Can you imagine what it would have been like in Ireland if these things had been about during the height of the troubles? Some poor bugger would have been kneecapped from a different bloody county, and the shooter could have been as drunk as a Lord, not to mention forensically impossible to link to the crime, if he had the sense to remove the rifling characteristics from the weapon, and then pass it off to pastures new!

I have to say, even though I support the right of the people of the US to keep and bear arms, and even though I would carry a sword or warblade with me everywhere if the law allowed it, this total abomination doesn't sit right in my gut. I don't like guns, never have liked them, always been of the opinion that animal or human, if something needs to die, then you ought to do it the honour of at least being under the spray, eye to eye, close enough to hear the air leave their throat for the last time. But this thing makes anyone a sniper, and that sucks... It sucks so hard that not only does it make Miley Cyrus look like a virgin, but it may be capable of forming a quantum singularity!

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Pretty cool but I know some people are going to be up in arms(pun) over this.

This will be very usefull for the military near the end of the video they said they have plans to develop a system that can be used with a 2 mile range. WOW.. I want one but it will be a monster.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

This will be very usefull for the military near the end of the video they said they have plans to develop a system that can be used with a 2 mile range. WOW.. I want one but it will be a monster.

For only 28 grand you can have one for your own.

I can't imagine what one that could shoot 2 miles would set you back..

Here is an interview done by CNN...

money.cnn.com...

I have a feeling he is looking more toward a gov't contract for them than he is at selling one to the public.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   

My .50 set me back 7k used but I could sell it for 9 to 10 now. I love the tech but like all silicon technology it loses value at an insanely fast pace so maybe after time it will reach my price range but it's not even close right now.

I do not even know of a rifle that's accurate for 2 miles so they must be planing to have one designed along with a new round that can stay stable at that distance. That would probably never be in my price range on top of that the caliber itself will probably put it in a different weapons category making it inaccessible to the general public. They may even have to make it out of something like DU for weight reasons which would also make it not for the general public. But it sure would be cool to see.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

yeahright

bigman88
Why? For what?

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

It's technology.
"Whatever can be done, will be done".
~ Andrew S. Grove

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Great quote, but still scary as fu**.

Not everything that can be done, is for the good of humanity, but can contribute to it's downfall.

Many things that are technologically advanced has a purpose, in and of itself, to destroy.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Still though, if you want to shoot something with a gun, use your natural senses; you can put this thing in the hands of any assho**, and he/she hits whatever without even having the damn skill or ability to do it.

Hunting animals? This reminds of a youtube vid i saw where this dude sits in this giant, high tech cannon thing to hunt a deer. With the caliber of that thing, i'm sure he blew the poor thing to bits.

I don't like the concept of shooting creatures for fun or sport, anyway. Hunting for sustenance? Get it done. To make yourself feel like a big, bad back woods badass because you shot some lower intelligent creature from half a mile away? Nope, do something else...

Using this to take on enemy combatants? Your still a pussy with a lock on gun in the end, you ain't #...

I like guns, but # like this makes me think how today's big badass gun toter troops would fare in pre-firearm battlefield...

They'd probably piss themselves and then get hand to hand/melee weapon'd to death.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   

bigman88

Using this to take on enemy combatants? Your still a pussy with a lock on gun in the end, you ain't #...

I like guns, but # like this makes me think how today's big badass gun toter troops would fare in pre-firearm battlefield...

They'd probably piss themselves and then get hand to hand/melee weapon'd to death.

I found myself agreeing with up until this point. Melee weapons...? The only place you will find those are in video games even though there have been some instances where it has happened but they are mainly a thing of history. Just look up the last time there was a bayonet charge.

Anyway I totally disagree with this making soldiers not sh!!. The military with best training and equipment are the best soldiers they have the best chances at coming home. War isn't a game nor is it about being fair. It is about dominance. Who cares who can send the most bullets down range the only bullets that matter are the ones that hit the target.

I would like to see this system scaled down and made more compact so that it didn't add to much weight to a standard issue weapons platform for our troops. Just like when we stared getting NVGs or flare tech the object of it was to give us an edge on the battlefield and it did.

Now as far as hunting goes just like in the video it has it's place. Escaped pigs/wild boars have become a huge problem in many states including my own. If they added a suppressor to an AR platform 7.62 caliber or such then it would be very usefull. Of course that is not being done for sport it's to keep farms from being destroyed. They are simply invasive species here.

I wouldn't want one for hunting game meat though because it just wouldn't seem right. But that's me. I would love one for long range target shooting just for sh!ts ang giggles. It looks fun.

BTW if you noticed in the vid you still have to adjust for wind and even then they were not completely zeroed in. There is still a bit more to it than adding scope then point and shoot but overall it's an engenius system. I am really interested in the trigger system.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Grimpachi

bigman88

I found myself agreeing with up until this point. Melee weapons...? The only place you will find those are in video games even though there have been some instances where it has happened but they are mainly a thing of history. Just look up the last time there was a bayonet charge.

Anyway I totally disagree with this making soldiers not sh!!. The military with best training and equipment are the best soldiers they have the best chances at coming home. War isn't a game nor is it about being fair. It is about dominance. Who cares who can send the most bullets down range the only bullets that matter are the ones that hit the target.

I would like to see this system scaled down and made more compact so that it didn't add to much weight to a standard issue weapons platform for our troops. Just like when we stared getting NVGs or flare tech the object of it was to give us an edge on the battlefield and it did.

Now as far as hunting goes just like in the video it has it's place. Escaped pigs/wild boars have become a huge problem in many states including my own. If they added a suppressor to an AR platform 7.62 caliber or such then it would be very usefull. Of course that is not being done for sport it's to keep farms from being destroyed. They are simply invasive species here.

I wouldn't want one for hunting game meat though because it just wouldn't seem right. But that's me. I would love one for long range target shooting just for sh!ts ang giggles. It looks fun.

BTW if you noticed in the vid you still have to adjust for wind and even then they were not completely zeroed in. There is still a bit more to it than adding scope then point and shoot but overall it's an engenius system. I am really interested in the trigger system.

I hear you, but i already recognize that face to face combat is long finished.

And i'm not saying today's troops are not hardened or whatever, but in and of itself, a soldier who is mastered in close quarters melee combat would have MUCH more to learn and master than a troop of today who fights with firearms against other firearm troops. To me, that demands much more respect. The world is populated with jittery, wet nosed, malnourished, spray/pray/run troops, and often succeed in gunning down some trained to hell and back special op troop.

You think the same is more likely to be done if both combatants were on pre-firearm battlefield? Where physical attributes (speed, weight, reflex, strength, stamina) matter most?

And invasive species or endangered species, for game or for food, people will always end up shooting animals. Always.

I must say, this is quite cool to think about, but solely on a "cool" basis.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

This isnt the one i thought it was very interesting though. Heres the one i thought you were talking about its for sniper rifles and adjusts the reticle in the scope using a laser. So you dont have to adjust for range scope does it for you put reticle on target and pull trigger. I think id prefer this one im not thrilled with the idea of pulling a trigger and gun might not go off.

bulletin.accurateshooter.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I favour steel edges over flying lead any day.

even though I would carry a sword or warblade with me everywhere if the law allowed it,

there is no honor in being hacked to pieces, or hacking a man to pieces, or even killing animal. but in war or a fight for your life, survival is king.

edit on 23-9-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I totally agree with shooting for sport. This thing takes the whole sporting element from the shoot. Quite frankly I fail to see the point of this thing from a sports shooting perspective. You may as well just get your meat from the supermarket as hunt with this item.

From a military perspective it makes perfect sense. The whole idea of not using it because it isn't the "honourable" thing to do is ridiculous. You shoot at people to kill them without getting killed yourself. If this helps me do that then I'm all for it.

As for the last bayonet charge there were several in Iraq by British troops including some quite high profile ones. There are also several documented reports from US troops of close quarter kills with knives and bayonets on recent conflicts. I have been in the position of having to fix bayonets (never to be used thank god). There'll always be a place for steel.

top topics

join