It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now The Doctors are Taking Umbilical Cord Blood Without Consent

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I just wanted to post this to all the mothers-to-be... this is happening without your concent... And I'm still in awe because of it....

My wife and I recently had our first baby. We actually planned to deliver completely natural and at a Birthing Center with a mid-wife, doula, etc... We even took over 100 hours’ worth of classes to prepare for non-hospitalized delivery, to say the least we were overly prepared...

To make a really long story short, everything was going text book until the baby decided to become uncooperative (definitely like her papa) and went into a face up position... after about hours of pushing in 2nd stage labor the baby dropped her meconium and her heart rate started to drop during each contraction, so we made the decision to do a non-emergency transfer to the hospital in case there were any further complications. She received medication to temporarily stop contractions during the transport...

This was hard for me (because I ****ing HATE hospitals), but I did what I felt needed to be done.

So she received an epidural at the hospital to stop the contractions so that the baby could try and turn in the proper position (which she ended up by doing so). So to fast forward past the part, where I'm in the thick of it, holding legs back and heads forward... we ended up giving birth to a beautiful baby girl.

After our baby came out they clamped the cord and asked me if I wanted to cut it (which we initially asked them not to... we wanted the cord to stop pulsing before clamping and cutting, but I also didn't want to make a scene after all we had been through... so I let it go)... then the baby was placed, on the mother... it was hard to take my eyes off my two girls, but when I did and glanced back, the doctor was extracting blood from the umbilical cord. I told him we did not consent to that, and he said it's "just something we do" ... I said "ok? but we did not consent to that"... it really sucked because I was torn between being there for my wife and baby for those first emotional moments, and fighting against something that I felt was wrong (THE STEALING OF MY BABIES BLOOD)... but once again I chose my family....

Anyway, to me, this stealing of blood is still pretty disconcerting, who knows what the **** they are doing with it... yes maybe saving a life with their supposed stem cell therapy... but I can’t help shake the feeling something more sinister happened (whether it was: DNA extraction for some governmental agency, selling it to research labs for an exuberant amount of cash, etc etc etc…)

edit on 9/23/2013 by FORMe2p00p0n because: Doctors are filled with PooP!

edit on 9/23/2013 by FORMe2p00p0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by FORMe2p00p0n

The doctor could have been just doing routine blood work to make sure the baby was ok.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Hi Form, Congratulations on the birth of your little girl. I'm going to play devils advocate here so bare with me. First I have never heard of this being done, but then I have adult children and I'm sure things have changed concerning giving birth in a hospital.
Do you suppose they were extracting the blood in case your daughter needed it due to more complications? I'm just guessing here. I totally agree with you though, permision should have been asked for.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
We had to have an emergency c-section with my second son and they took blood samples from the cord as well. They did it because they were extremely concerned about blood gasses and wanted to check other levels.

Nothing nefarious behind it and I would say it was good that they checked your babies blood for any problems.

.....or maybe they took her blood so that they could clone her and train her for the Illuminati Army....

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I think your concerns are valid but...

Percutaneous Umbilical Cord Blood Sampling

Percutaneous umbilical cord blood sampling (PUBS) is a diagnostic procedure in which a doctor extracts a sample of fetal blood from the vein in the umbilical cord. This blood can be analyzed to detect chromosomal defects or other abnormalities. PUBS is also known as umbilical vein sampling, fetal blood sampling, and cordocentesis.

University of Maryland Medical Center

Had to look it up.... seems routine.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by 2manyholes

Thanks Holes!

I read about that in articles... But funniest thing is, in one of my birthing classes there was a pregnant lady that worked at a biotech firm and delt with stemcells ... she said all the claims are pretty much bogus!

What ever the reason they took the blood, I denied the concent, and they still took it... just wanted to put out a warning to anyone else that may be bothered by this...

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
And to note, we refused consent on all their other test and vacines... they had no problem complying with those requests, we just had to sign a doc each time.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by FORMe2p00p0n

You are seriously upset about this? Here in the UK we practically BEGGED the hospital to take the umbilical cord blood when our daughter was born 18 months ago, specifically because it can help with stem cell research. Guess what, they refused.

I do have a vested interest as I have Multiple Sclerosis - one of the areas of research newly born stem cells have shown great promise in helping with, but there are countless other diseases and conditions they can help with, such as the following: www.cords4life.co.uk... - a charity set up by the parents of a local child who had Acute Myeloid leukaemia and unfortunately lost his battle against the disease. Please read the page I linked to and rethink your outrage over 'stolen baby blood'.
edit on 23-9-2013 by MrGrey1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Blarneystoner

That test is for a fetus... as in... its still in the belly...

wiki link

An advanced imaging ultrasound determines the location for needle insertion into the placenta, and the needle is guided through the mother's abdomen and uterine wall into the fetal vein of the umbilical cord, where a fetal blood sample is removed.

There is no reason to extract the blood... I already looked it up... they either keep it, sell it or send it to a "bank"

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
First, a heartfelt congratulations to both of you! Welcome to the world of wonder, of delight, of worry and sleepless nights,

To my knowledge, once the baby has been delivered, the placenta and cord are considered medical waste and the hospitals are charged with its safe disposal. It's always been that way since I've been on this planet. If you claim ownership then would you also assume responsibility for its safe disposal? Even if you said yes, you would probably find yourself at the losing end of an unpopular struggle.

Playing devil's advocate here though, I do get your sense of vigilance about protecting your family, but I have to wonder if your attitude is not a trifle too paranoid. For instance, before you raised any objections, did you request an explanation for the reason of the blood withdrawal?

Oh and about the consent thing, they would probably remind you that you did sign a consent form upon admission to the hospital.
edit on 23-9-2013 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MrGrey1701

Yep, and I have every right to be... I live in America.

BTY your website states stemcells help to treat... yet it also states stem cells from 20 years ago are still good.... does this mean they have been TRYING to come up with some kind of cure for the last 20 years

Do you not see a snake oil salesman giving false hope.... They mention a kid named George as a legacy? but don't have one kid on their site that was saved... seems like they want money.

When I spoke to that biotech lady in my birthing class, she said, maybe in 40 years we will be able to unlock some cures from it, but for the most part nothing is here yet... it's just hype

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

Yeah its in my OP .... He said it's just something we do...

as for the plecenta being considered waste... you are correct, they don't know if the person has an infectious illness... but they also released it to me the next day ...

Yes, I took the plecenta and had pills and a tincture made from it...

Look it up .... its a legit thing to do... helps with postpartum and menopause

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

FORMe2p00p0n

Yep, and I have every right to be... I live in America.

BTY your website states stemcells help to treat... yet it also states stem cells from 20 years ago are still good.... does this mean they have been TRYING to come up with some kind of cure for the last 20 years

Do you not see a snake oil salesman giving false hope.... They mention a kid named george as a legacy? but don't have one kids that was saved... seems like they want money.

When I spoke to that biotech lady in my birthing class, she said, maybe in 40 years we will be able to unlock some cures from it, but for the most part nothing is here yet... it's just hype

It's not my website, it's the website of grieving parents who are trying to help other parents of similarly ill children. False hope really? I guess they should all just give up and let their children die eh? Just like I should maybe just be done with it all, give in to Multiple Sclerosis and throw myself under a bus while I still have the energy and ability to do so. At least you have the right to be outraged in America, whatever you mean by that.

I will leave you to your outrage, safe in the knowledge that some biotech lady you met has all the answers you need.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Thanks!

Oh and keep taking everything as a negative... it'll do wonders for you

and I know the site is not yours... I meant the link you provided...

Just because you throw a guilt ball at me and I hit a home run with it, doesn't mean I don't care, i have done research on it...

I did research on it, because we were serriously thinking about doing it and donating... but it's all a about money right now.

Here is link after link so you can see for yourself... THERE IS NOTHING RIGHT NOW!!

10 stem cell facts

3. Currently, there are very few widely accepted stem cell therapies.
4. Just because people say stem cells helped them doesn’t mean they did.

American site like the one you provided

Stem cells hold the promise of treatments and cures for more than 70 major diseases and conditions that affect millions of people

wiki site

Stem cell therapy is an intervention strategy that introduces new adult stem cells into damaged tissue in order to treat disease or injury. Many medical researchers believe that stem cell treatments have the potential to change the face of human disease and alleviate suffering

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
They take blood from the umbilical cord to check Blood-Ox levels as well as other gasses. They also blood type from it.

It is standard procedure and frankly not consenting to it - while it is your right - is pretty foolish. If something happens and your baby crashes and needs a blood transfusion, you WOULD like to know their blood type... wouldn't you?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I don't think you looked very hard...
Testing is done post birth as well...

Cord blood testing is done to determine the following:

•Bilirubin levels
•Blood culture (if an infection is suspected)
•Blood gases, to evaluate the oxygen, carbon dioxide, and pH levels
•Blood sugar level
•Blood type and Rh
•Complete blood count (CBC)
•Platelet count
Cord blood testing

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
After my little nephew had Leukemia at the age of 2, and beat it.!!! When my wife and I had our first daughter, we decided to keep the Cord Blood, and had it stored at a facility, I think they freeze the cord blood, Cryo. We decided to do this, in the case of anything wrong later in life for our baby. My brother is a doctor, and said that due to the asdvances in medicine, that this is a smart move. You never know, Our daughter may be able to use this later in life, to cure a disease.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by EvenParanoidsHaveEnemies

So wheres the document letting me know this... hmmm didn't get one... it must not of be tested on that sample

If something happens and your baby crashes and needs a blood transfusion

and let me guess, you must be a nurse because they used that same sentence when they asked us about other blood tests.... do you learn that one in nursing school?

reply to post by Blarneystoner

You stated "Percutaneous umbilical cord blood sampling" .... I was letting you know that wasn't it...

as for you other comment....

At the facility we went to, those tests are done with a heel prick.... and they asked us if we wanted to do it...

and I denied consent... and signed a form...

Wow if anything you guys are making me more paranoid.... with all your presumably logical explanations to the reasoning of non-consensual blood extraction

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

FORMe2p00p0n

I can 100% assure you that for many children waiting for a bone marrow transplant that these stem cells are a life saver! I have spent the best part of 3 years on a children's oncology ward and got to know many children and families whose lives have been transformed!
I'm not sure what your biotech lady is feeding you but the technology is here now and not 40 years off!

I understand if you are annoyed in the way your babies cord blood was taken without much explanation....but please don't confuse the validity of stem cell transplant in children for certain Leukaemias for example. You claim it's all about money and whilst somewhere along the chain this may be correct. But this doesn't take away the fact that for some parents it is the difference between life or death of a child.
edit on 23-9-2013 by Logos23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

When I see 100% anything ... I always like to look at the ingredients...

I researched your claim...It's doesn't seem to be treated blood, it hasn't been modified in any way, so basically it’s a regular old transfusion with blood containing high concentrations of stem cells... where is the technology in this... Really? She is that far off huh? The information you are talking about isn't a cure... it helps the patient to recover from higher doses of chemotherapy... with a couple side benefits

yes if I were a parents choosing between the death of my child and any way to get them some extra time... I’d try just about anything... but I also know that "sometimes the cure is worse than the disease"

cancer.org

A stem cell transplant (SCT) allows doctors to use higher doses of chemotherapy (sometimes combined with radiation therapy). After that treatment is finished, the patient receives an infusion of blood-forming stem cells
to restore the bone marrow.

Oh and feel free to read on to the short and long term side effects...

How is it all of a sudden I'm a bad guy because I don't want people taking my $#!+ without my permission...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join