It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google knows nearly every Wi-Fi password in the world

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:11 AM
link   

roadgravel

Those deep into something the NSA is wishing to track would probably be more careful with how they operate.

Exactly sir. I am far from anything the NSA would be interested in but I like my privacy.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

winofiend
reply to post by roadgravel

The good news is that Android owners can opt out just by turning off the checkbox

Or never having checked it in the first place.

How stupid are people that need that explained, it just knew their details after a refresh or reinstall?

Firefox has the same option to backup to their servers too... and m$

Oo

My android is rooted, so I just back it up on the SD card. No need for those silly backup services. It's easy to root a phone too, just research and follow directions.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

grey580
reply to post by roadgravel

There is a way around this.

Don't use a password.

Use mac filtering.

That way only the devices you allow onto your network are the ones you specify implicitly.

Cool.. er.. HOW to do this?

My wife has an Android phone and I'd like to set her's up this way.

Tell me - if you know...

Are there any apps for the Android that will help us keep our stuff secure like there are from the PC - I am looking for the equivalent of these: Https Everywhere or a proxies service like TOR, Sandboxie or another sandbox app etc?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

You could use mac filtering but I could sniff your network traffic, pull out your mac address and then mimic it to access your network. That's why I said I used mac filtering plus AES encryption.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

wmd_2008

I like threads like this as it shows the amount of paranoia on here do you really think that the NSA or anyone else for that matter wants to know your uncle Toms' dog has the sh^"s or any other mundane BS on your e-mails / computer.

It doesn't matter. This level of paranoia is actually healthy IMHO. If you take the time out of the day to learn about securing your devices and intranet then you won't have to worry about hackers doing something nasty over either. It is imperative that we have secure intranets and devices.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
When you see "smart" this, "smart" that.

Just replace the word "smart" with "hacked".

It makes things more honest.....

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AbleEndangered

But what about S.M.A.R.T.?

en.wikipedia.org...

Just giving you a hard time ;p

Yeah the new things such as smart meters etc seem be smart only in the way that it lets TPTB watch us more closely.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Someone probably has said it already but I wasn't going to read through all the post but....apples devices do the same thing or am I wrong?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join