It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google knows nearly every Wi-Fi password in the world

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

If an Android device (phone or tablet) has ever logged on to a particular Wi-Fi network, then Google probably knows the Wi-Fi password. Considering how many Android devices there are, it is likely that Google can access most Wi-Fi passwords worldwide.
Android devices have defaulted to coughing up Wi-Fi passwords since version 2.2. And, since the feature is presented as a good thing, most people wouldn't change it. I suspect that many Android users have never even seen the configuration option controlling this. After all, there are dozens and dozens of system settings to configure.
And, if you are reading this and thinking about one Wi-Fi network, be aware that Android devices remember the passwords to every Wi-Fi network they have logged on to.

blogs.computerworld.com...

Hello, NSA, Google here - ready for password dump...

Really isn't a surprise in today's world. Guessing a lot of passwords will be changed and the whole process will start over.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

It is an academic question since all of the internet traffic is recorded.

If you have an intranet with anything other than commonly accessed media, you should probably not use wireless anyway.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

I wonder how much they are charging for said info and presumably apple have all that info too then? (or do they not work way -i don't use smart phones so not sure what's all involved)

So if somebody hacked google (or bought the list) and found the file/s they could probably cause all sorts of carnage if they were a terrorist.

edit on 23-9-2013 by johnb because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I think it's past time I change my routers to MAC security as an added thing.....

Google could have just programmed their cars not to scan and record everything in the air as they went. It would have been easier to not do this and save the controversy....so I can only imagine, it was very deliberate, despite their reassurances. Google may not care...Why would they? They DO partner with the NSA though ..and the NSA cares everything about a router in timbuktu. It might be one they want into someday.

What a nightmare... Thanks Google. They can stick their "Don't be evil" corporate motto. It's become a parody to a sick joke they came up with, IMO.

* Android gave them internal and direct password access..to a market share that use them. Google street cars gave them dierct, physical scan of almost every piece of Wi-Fi hardware in North America and most of the developed world at this point.

edit on 23-9-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

There is a way around this.

Don't use a password.

Use mac filtering.

That way only the devices you allow onto your network are the ones you specify implicitly.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
First I'm glad I never had a cell phone now I'm glad I built my PC without wifi. I remember the good old days when we still had something called privacy here in the states. Sad to see it go.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

The good news is that Android owners can opt out just by turning off the checkbox

Or never having checked it in the first place.

How stupid are people that need that explained, it just knew their details after a refresh or reinstall?

Firefox has the same option to backup to their servers too... and m$

Oo

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

buster2010
First I'm glad I never had a cell phone now I'm glad I built my PC without wifi. I remember the good old days when we still had something called privacy here in the states. Sad to see it go.

I fail to see the outrage.

More hysterical nonesense and I despise google.

Fail internet 900000.

edit on 23-9-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
"Close your eyes and think of England." Because like the person that phrase was intended for, smartphone users may be getting screwed
Seriously however, I'm pretty sure the government still has to file a request with Google to retrieve that information and match it to your profile. Besides, changing the wifi password regularly is probably the best way to maintain security and privacy over your internet.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

grey580

There is a way around this.

Don't use a password.

Use mac filtering.

That way only the devices you allow onto your network are the ones you specify implicitly.

Three words: "MAC adress spoofing". Problem solved.. Even a simple macbook has that ability, as shown to me by a friend.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

"Oh I see that you left your phone on the coffee table and went to the bathroom. Well, why don't i just pop off the battery cover and write down your device's MAC address..."

Yup.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
IMO, At this point getting access to most passwords via Google won't be something the NSA will probably do.

I does show that many people will trade easy for security. (Passwords come back from a backup instead of them maintaining a list)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Evil_Santa
reply to post by ManFromEurope

"Oh I see that you left your phone on the coffee table and went to the bathroom. Well, why don't i just pop off the battery cover and write down your device's MAC address..."

Yup.

Why bother writing it down when you can sniff it via WiFi?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Please correct me if I am wrong here but, I thought you were talking about WIFI passwords. That is, passwords that allow WIFI access to your networks through your switch or router. Your switch or router is connected via ethernet to an internet provider of some sort. Anyone (including google) can get into your network via that connection.

Perhaps, your next door neighbor could be of some concern but, what purpose is there in worrying about google having local WIFI access to something they can invade at will from anywhere in the world?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

Basically, I am reporting on this article. I agree there are many ways to comprise a network. I think the point from the article is the phone config, software by default creates a security risk.

Those deep into something the NSA is wishing to track would probably be more careful with how they operate.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Personally I'm not surprised... but does it really matter when.. or if we ever become people of interest the Government can turn their spy satellites on us and follow our every movement and keystroke? The internet was the best and worst thing that ever happened to us in recent times.... I think that TPTB has been keeping tabs on us since I was dialing up on a 2600 baud modem. I don't see this ending anytime soon... and I am pretty sure they have all of kill stats from when I was playing Tribes and Team Fortress from the late 90's.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I like threads like this as it shows the amount of paranoia on here do you really think that the NSA or anyone else for that matter wants to know your uncle Toms' dog has the sh^"s or any other mundane BS on your e-mails / computer.

They are looking for threats and until the data they mine is passed to a HUMAN all it is is data nothing else they are looking for the really bad guys not a bunch of internet hopefuls I doubt very much if anyone on here is worth watching although a few on here display an attitude that they think they are.

If it's not flagged up and passed to a HUMAN then it's of no interest to them, hold on something is happening outside I can here a helicopter and 2 black cars are outside oh sh%t they are at my door aaaaahhhhh

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
No android device has ever connected to my wifi, i know that for certain.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
i could see someone at Google creating a black market to sell access to people wanting to access dark places on the web through some random Joe's network. But given to number of open networks out there they probably isn't much demand now. Might be a good way to frame a specific person though.

Never under estimate evil.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   

greencmp

If you have an intranet with anything other than commonly accessed media, you should probably not use wireless anyway.

Oh I dunno I like to. I like my AES + MAC restricted intranet that transfers above NSA level encrypted data. That's just me though. If I didn't understand encryption, frequency and wave propagation I wouldn't be doing it. Id pay a hundred dollar bill to anyone who could access my intranet, its just not possible.

Always looking to learn a thing or two, if anyone has any input.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join