It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FAO Launches Emergency Projects to Fight H7N9 Avian Flu

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Two emergency regional projects aimed at containing avian influenza were launched last week by the UN Food and Agriculture Organization’s (FAO) Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific ...

…the “virus in China is still present and there is still a great deal not yet understood about this H7N9 virus. Other influenza viruses that circulate in poultry often decrease dramatically during the summer months, only to reappear later in the year during cold season. Also, many low pathogenic influenza viruses in poultry have transformed into highly pathogenic viruses.”

FAO Launches Emergency Projects to Fight H7N9 Avian Flu

This is getting serious - and likely explains why the CDC is prepping for a wide scale Pacific Rim Emergency, as reported by Pinkorchid on September 15, 2013.

H7N9 is essentially "invisible." It spreads in poultry without causing symptoms ("low pathogenic") - but - when it infects people, it's deadly. H7N9's invisible spread means it could easily evolve into a new strain that's highly transmissible in people and spread around the world before we even realize what's happening.

Right now, H7N9 bird flu is starting to circulate in Asia along with H1N1 swine flu and H5N1 bird flu. H1N1 is highly transmissible in people but not as deadly as H5N1 and H7N9; H5N1 needs 3 mutations to get there; H7N9 only needs one mutation to start spreading easily in people - and go global.

Early strains of H7N9 evolved in North America - but Asia and the Pacific region are the recognized hotspots right now. These FAO emergency projects are a kind of Distant Early Warning system - a new virulent strain of H7N9 might not be stopped, but at least the world might have a little warning when it appears.

Of special note: These projects focus exclusively on H7N9. So they know something.

ALSO SEE:
CDC Preps For Wide Scale Pacific Rim Emergency

Scientists Are Preparing for Possible Pandemic Spread of New Bird Flu Strain

Pandemic Fears Support Corporate Takeover of Global Food Supply

Pushing Flu Vaccines, and the Codex Alimentarius

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Well, it has to happen. Eventually, we will have another deck clearing pandemic. It's happened before, many times..and nothing about our medical technology will prevent it again. In fact, our corporate farming and habit of keeping enormous pig and avian populations close makes it certain. As I recall reading on this, some of the worst strains known to have hit man were from pigs and birds swapping viruses to mutate.

I hope this isn't the one...to be honest. I'll make it or I'll make peace with not making it. Spanish Lady took SOOO many people, that isn't overdramatic talk, IMO, if we have a true pandemic in our lifetime. Others in my family aren't so strong...or so settled if they see it coming in advance to consider.

I hope nature gives more time before hitting again...for purely selfish reasons...I hope a couple more decades, perhaps.

"Here lay John Smith. Hero of many war time engagements, father to a dozen and leader of his field ...dead by a flu bug" - That is sure not how I want to see some people dear to me, remembered.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Mhmm. Both of my great-grandfather's parents died to the Spanish Flu. Epidemics and pandemics are nature's way of curbing population growth. It's only a matter of time. I know, locally, we have had a series of warm winters that have lead to increased lice, flea, and mosquito populations--all of which are also vectors for disease. Add in the number of people who may not be eating well (possible malnutrition) and no, inadequate or reluctance to use health care due to costs. That's why I say we may very well be headed towards a New Dark Ages similar to when the Black Death walked the streets.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Oh I hope not.... I've studied two different 'Dark Age' periods of human history now. Neither of them...NEITHER..are real clear in a "This is how someone of the time would describe it..." way for just HOW it happened and HOW knowledge that lead a world..came to literally be lost to entire peoples for hundreds of years. It's baffling...but it's happened more than once ....so it scares me like few other things can.

So lets hope this season is like all other seasons we've lived through. A mountain of hype for a few grains of misery among a small relative number.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Pandemics only clear the decks in interconnected worlds, don't touch isolated societies. ...But can we talk about the role of disease as a driver of evolution? Please? imho, new diseases are not simply a mechanism of natural selection but also, drive evolution. ...In a nutshell: Rapid environmental change accelerates pathogen evolution; in turn, new diseases drive evolution in complex organisms (ie, humans), that is, diseases develop the molecular mechanisms for adaptation and then "carry" them to complex organisms. ...So when we contaminate and pollute our air, water, food and bodies, we are determining the directions of our own evolution by creating the need.

5. Are humans influencing the process of evolution?

...Technology and culture have protected us to a great extent from the selective pressures that drive evolution, allowing many people -- especially those in developed nations who, without medical intervention, would not live to reproductive age -- to pass their genes on to the next generation. Other scientists note that technology and culture have changed but not eliminated the role of natural selection on our species. We now adapt to crowding, pollution, and new disease rather than the necessity to escape from large predators.

edit on 23/9/13 by soficrow because: sp

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

We all have to die of something. If you don't want it to be
the flu keep some chopped white onions in water. Cereal
bowls in each bedroom, living room and kitchen and wash
your hands often. Do this and you'll never catch a bug in
your home. I promise.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I was a biology major. Had to take microbiology and immunology and pathology.

Malnutrition and mortality during the Black Death: www.pnas.org...
In the years preceding to the Black Death, there was a cooling period that basically impacted all the crops, leading to starvation and malnutrition of many. This left people open and more vulnerable to infectious disease. Whereas we do not nearly have the degree of widespread hunger, we also have other factors that influence the performance of our immune systems including issues with food quality (declining food value due to refrigeration--basically, by the time you buy your food at the grocery store, much of its nutritional content has already been lost). Couple that with the access to self-care remedies and you may have someone trying to fight a bug that is entering into a losing battle. How many times have you seen a story where someone caught something and because they didn't go in, they died?

Back to the Black Death, following the cooling period, there was a warm peak in temperatures, which you can see by combining these two graphs:

www.longrangeweather.com...
www.longrangeweather.com...

The worst part of the Black Death would've been between 1348-1350. The vector was fleas. Flea populations rise when it is warmer. That's the basic math, i guess. In a way, very similar conditions to the pre-Black Death period and during. We're just better dressed, with bigger homes, and with cars.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

We all have to die of something.

So true. But we do not have to destroy our entire beautiful planet just because we're afraid of "nature" and our own mortality.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

If one is a conspiracy theorist one could look at this as the grand game changer for the 21 Agenda.

If you can't bring the people to a World War and depopulate then why not use a flu virus.

Scientists Disclose Plans To Make Superflu In Labs

First, two teams of virologists created more dangerous versions of the deadly H5N1 flu. Now they want to give the H7N9 virus, which has already sickened at least 134 people and killed 43 people in Asia, a few new capabilities: drug resistance, faster transmission between people and the ability to sneak past the immune system.

Flu researchers Ron Fouchier, of the Erasmus Medical Center in the Netherlands, and Yoshihiro Kawaoka, of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, wrote up a whole list of risky experiments they're starting with the new H7N9 bird flu and then published their plans Wednesday in both Science and Nature. About 20 other scientists also signed the letters.

www.npr.org...

More than one way to skin a CAT-atonic world population.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

So true. But we do not have to destroy our entire beautiful planet just because we're afraid of "nature" and our own mortality.

Not sure if I understand where ytou came from with that even tho I do agree with the statement.

Are you say'n my onions would ruin the planet ?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Centres for Disease Control :-

Availability and Efficacy of Vaccines

Currently, there are no licensed vaccines against H7 subtype viruses. Vaccination remains the optimal method for protection of individuals against influenza. Optimal efficacy is provided by influenza vaccines containing virus antigen well-matched to the viruses causing disease. Since the H7 HA is a novel glycoprotein not previously found in viruses that have circulated in humans, it is expected that there will be no neutralizing antibodies present in human populations. Several pre-pandemic H7 subtype vaccines have been developed and have undergone pre-clinical and phase I clinical testing. Two different inactivated vaccines based on Eurasian H7 viruses have been evaluated in small clinical trials. Both vaccines were poorly immunogenic in humans, inducing little or no serum antibodies to the H7 HA in adults that received two doses of vaccine even when high dose formualtions or an alum-adjuvanted vaccine was used (Cox et al., 2009; Couch et al., 2012). A live attenauted H7N3 influenza vaccine (LAIV) has also been assessed in adults and two doses were shown to elicit a neutralizing antibody response in approximately 50% of subjects (Talaat et al., 2009).

www.cdc.gov...

A novel glycoprotein ---hmmmm refer to mad scientists in my above post.

Glycoproteins , what they do :-

Glycoproteins are responsible for a wide array of bodily functions including: transporting molecules, production of enzymes, acting as anti freeze proteins, acting as cell attachment-recognitions sites and production of hormones like human chorionic gonadotropin. The structure of these proteins allows them to adapt to the diverse functions.

edit on 23-9-2013 by Pinkorchid because: (no reason given)

www.ask.com...

Now back to the other post :-

To figure that out, Fouchier and Kawaoka are planning to genetically engineer H7N9 and then see which changes in the virus's genes accelerate its spread between mammals.

Can anyone else see the huge big elephant sized dots here?

What is the function of Enzymes in the Body ?

Enzymes are one of the most essential elements in our body. Enzymes are more important than the air you breathe, the water you drink, and the food you eat. Why is this? Enzymes are required for your body to function properly because without enzymes you wouldn't be able to breathe, swallow, drink, eat, or digest your food. To do all of these things, your body needs some help. You must have enzymes to help perform these tasks. Enzymes are an absolute necessity to live.

www.enzymeessentials.com...[/ur]

[url=http://]

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I agree entirely with you on your words about pandemics having positive aspects for evolution of those who survive it and rebuild.

You know what gives me more than just a moment of pause though? It's not JUST my Wife and others in poor health. Theirs is abnormally poor. However, NONE of us...outside a few rare folks, are healthy. I don't mean we're all drooling and running noses down our shirts. Hardly.... However, if we compare todays idea of healthy with that 40 years ago...or during the visit of the Spanish Lady? We're a wreck down to nearly the last one.

Even people in athletics and military service are, in many instances, unhealthy in real ways compared to what stood in their place decades past.

So... When we have our next natural pandemic that does it's number on the population? Well.... How many of us are in a physical condition to fight off a particularly vicious and lethal strain? I guess we'll find out eventually...but I'd be just as happy if it came after I pass from this life and am a wee baby in the next one.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

We're just better dressed, with bigger homes, and with cars.

Don't forget airplanes, international travel and the obsession to congregate in ENORMOUS public crowds, packed like sardines in the can. The next run through a viral pandemic won't be the least but pretty.

It may even be the Georgia Guidestones won't need any outside meddling to see it all come to pass. The creators may have been well aware of that too. Just wait...patiently. Eventually, nature will do far better what we can only play at by comparison. Patience...time..and opportunity, right?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Since disease is getting stronger in animals and now spreading to humans why don't they go to the source and stop it there. We all have to get a shot of this stuff because people who raise chickens can't wear protective gear or others can't test a few random animals from each market/farm. I get it - now that it's human to human that window of opportunity has passed but have they even done anything at the heart of this problem?

I agree with others - it is inevitable that another pandemic sweep through society. Especially with climate changes and overcrowding (and all the later brings with it). If animals are dying from diseases they used to be able to fight more readily it is only a matter of time for us too. Vaccine or no vaccine. A friend of mine was just diagnosed with tuberculosis. I haven't known anyone with that my whole life. He has no idea where he got this. Strange times.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Enzymes are found in raw food and they assist the bodies immune system to fight off disease.

So what has been happening recently in the U.S.

Legislation to ban growing your own food

Senate Bill S510 Makes it illegal to Grow, Share, Trade or Sell Homegrown Food

lifesgreatclues.com...

I spy with my little eye :-

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Now lets get back to China and the virus outbreak-

the “virus in China is still present and there is still a great deal not yet understood about this H7N9 virus. Other influenza viruses that circulate in poultry often decrease dramatically during the summer months, only to reappear later in the year during cold season. Also, many low pathogenic influenza viruses in poultry have transformed into highly pathogenic viruses.”

What has China recently received some shipments of?

“I think China will be a big market in the future, because this country has a large number of people, and increasing demand for rice,” he said.

Golden Rice Company Chan Vuthy said his firm was scheduled to export between 100 and 200 tonnes of fragrant rice in September, though the orders were still to be confirmed

khmerization.blogspot.com.au...
What is Golden Rice?

The so-called “golden” rice intended for Asia was genetically modified to produce almost 20 times the beta-carotene of previous varieties. Golden rice was created by modifying the rice genome to include a gene from the daffodil Narcissus pseudonarcissus that produces an enzyme known as phyotene synthase and a gene from the bacterium Erwinia uredovora...

www.britannica.com...

So conspiracy theorists , we have a country with an outbreak of H7N9 virus which has a novel a novel glycoprotein and Glycoproteins are responsible for the production of enzymes.

We have shipments to China of Golden Corn which is a GMO that produces and enzyme known as phyotene synthase a gene from the bacterium Erwinia uredovora.

We know that enzymes are essential for survival so WTF , have they been setting up in China??

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Can the original avian virus could have been tampered with in a lab environment and that is the reason is mutating so rapidly? you know how these viruses are worked with and mistakes are made purposely or not.

Specially when they start crossing the original using human genes or pigs.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

I'm not saying pandemics have positive aspects for survivors' evolution, although that's an implication. What I am doing is expanding the Gaia Hypothesis - and clarifying a specific way in which we are "all one." That is, we are super-organisms - we are made of gazillions of different viruses, bacteria and other microbes. "Wild" viruses and microbes "communicate" with those that make up our bodies. This is not a bad thing - simple organisms like microbes and viruses are the first to respond and adapt to environmental change - their ecological role is to carry their adaptations to more complex organisms like us. One of the first signs of this communication aka "sharing of adaptive mutations" is 'disease.'

Humans have changed our planet's environments, including the micro-environment. These changes are extreme, far-reaching and fundamental. We have to adapt or die. Viruses, bacteria and other microbes are a critical mechanism playing a key role in our successful adaptation to environmental change. In this light, short-circuiting our adaptation / immune response with vaccines is likely way, way wrong. Almost totally ill-conceived.

Also fyi - the truly deadly super flu's tend to strike the young and healthy, not the already sick, infirm and elderly. H5N1 for example, seems to hijack healthy immune systems to create a cytokine storm. It's the cytokine storm that kills. [Perhaps "healthy" immune systems are overly resistant to adaptive change.]

ALSO SEE:

Human Microbiome Project

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Not sure if I understand where ytou came from with that ...

Just want to shift the focus away from hypochondria, self-help and anti-science over to a recognition that every lifeform on the planet is undergoing a rapidly accelerated evolutionary process. True, that process has been largely created by human activity (including but not restricted to bioweapons release), but at this point, nature has taken over and the process is waaayyyy out of human control.

It's all about evolution now and we better catch up in a big hurry.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

...I get it - now that it's human to human that window of opportunity has passed but have they even done anything at the heart of this problem?

Yes. "They" have made it worse - because it's all about the money. Not people. "They" don't care about people just their bottom line.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join