It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Price of Chocolate Set to Double

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Attention chocolate addicts and those who feed the chocolate addictions of others ... Just in time for Halloween (no surprise) .... your treats are about to become massively more expensive. As you've noticed, the prices have skyrocketed already. But they are about to double again. Why is this? Read on ...

Huffington Post - Chocolate Prices Set to Double

Chocoholics may have to dig deeper to pay for their favorite treat this festive season as sweet makers face sky-high prices for cocoa butter, the special ingredient that gives chocolate its melt-in-the-mouth texture.

Increased demand from Asia's expanding middle class and a turnaround in sales in big consuming countries have seen butter prices nearly double to more than $7,000 a tonne from $4,000 a tonne six months ago.

With supplies tightening and demand showing no sign of slowing ahead of the Christmas and New Year period, some chocolate makers may have little choice but to pass on the increased costs to consumers.

In the secretive industry, which has only a handful of big players, chocolatiers tightly guard the recipes that distinguish their products, and are equally cautious on prices.

Also hitting the prices ... massive amounts of cocoa have been destroyed by pests ... and the limited area of the world that can grow cocoa is in danger from political violence and wars.
Fortune/CNN - How Big Chocolate Wants to Save Our Cocoa Supply

So what is going on??

First - Chocolate companies get as much of the world addicted to sugar and chocolate as possible. Get people hooked while still young.

Then - Companies claim a 'shortage' of cocoa and raise prices higher and higher.

Result - People cut back on important things in order to feed their sugar/chocolate addictions. They'll pay whatever price the company demands for their sugar/chocolate. They'll ignore the fact that much of the cocoa is picked by illegal child labor and a series of payoffs to corrupt adult politicians in Africa.

I can't have chocolate anymore due to health issues. But I've noticed the prices going EXTREMELY HIGH on anything chocolate related. This latest price hike ... nearly doubling the prices .... comes just in time for Halloween and Thanksgiving and Christmas ... Chocolate high-holidays. (Yes, Valentines and Easter are also high holidays ... but none is higher for chocolate than Halloween).

Speaking of Halloween. How darkly ironic is it that children around the world tons of chocolate ... that was most likely picked by poor children in Africa in violation of child labor laws there??

Top Ten Chocolate Companies World WIde
1 - Mars Inc.
2 - Nestlé USA
3 - Ferrero SpA
4 - Cadbury Schweppes Plc
5 - The Hershey Company
6 - Barry Callebaut AG
7 - Kraft Foods, Inc.
8 - Chocoladefabriken Lindt & Sprüngli AG
9 - Meiji Seika Kaisha, Ltd.
10 - Russell Stover Candies Inc.

International Cocoa Industry - "Fair Trade" - Only %.5 of the Market

Fair Trade Cocoa and Chocolate

Fair Trade is a trading partnership, based on dialogue, transparency and respect, that seeks greater equity in international trade. It contributes to sustainable development by offering better trading conditions to, and securing their rights of, disadvantaged producers and workers - especially in the South (FINE, 2001).

Fair Trade certified producer organizations must comply with a number of requirements, related to social, economic and environmental developments. In addition, labour conditions in these organizations must follow certain standards.

The essential characteristic of Fair Trade cocoa is that producer organizations receive a higher price for their cocoa beans. The Fair Trade price represents the necessary condition for the producer organizations to have the financial ability to fulfil the above requirements, and to cover the certification fees. It is calculated on the basis of world market prices, plus fair trade premiums. The Fair Trade premium for standard quality cocoa is US$ 150 per tonne. The minimum price for Fair Trade standard quality cocoa, including the premium, is US$ 1,750 per tonne. Other benefits for certified producer organizations are better "capacity building" and "market access".

Presently, cocoa sold with the Fair Trade label still captures a very low share of the cocoa market (0.5%).

edit on 9/23/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

This is truly an outrage! They can take my liberty, my freedom, my offspring and even my mind but, nay, never shall they take my chocolate!

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

greencmp
never shall they take my chocolate!

And there's the twist ... they aren't taking it away ... you can still get it ... but at a HUGE price increase! They get you addicted to the chocolate/sugar .. then massively raise the prices (just in time for Halloween when you just HAVE to have it). And you WILL pay the prices to get it.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

I am a big chocolate addict, to the point that I can diet on anything else just to be able to indulge on my sweet binges.

But I am picky, I do no eat cheap brands of chocolate and none can have corn syrup, I stay with gourmet and organic only brands, I have trained by self on that.

But this so call shortage sounds like the hoax shortage created two years ago with south American coffee, the speculations started to run a rumor that south American coffee yields were at a time law due to lack of rain, but it was all a lie, it was not such shortage and actually the coffee yields were at an all time high, for the next few years

We may have to research on the countries that produces cacao to see what is true and what is false, it could be the speculators again trying to do their thing.

Still a shortage of sugar will be the death of many as we know that even chocolate is no sweet on its own but thanks to sugar or corn syrup added to sweeten it

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Good chocolate is expensive enough already..... I will start chocolate hoarding...

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
They can take my chocolate from the cold dead toilet bowel.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

The price of everything is skyrocketing but our government and the "Federal Reserve" said that theres no inflation.

Ok! Sure thing!

They never mention that the devaluation of the dollar is a primary cause in higher prices and this article is no exception.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
My old school friend came into allot of money from his grandparents when they passed. He read an article that said we will one day only have artificial chocolate, he joked saying hes going to put some money into Cocoa & eventually he did, and the amount was pretty large (His grandparents left him over £600,000) He put a large sum into it as an investment, I don't know how true he was to his words but I have no reason not to believe him, I just question how he would of stored it lol. Anyhow, looks like the guy was right. So unless he eat it all, he will be laughing right now.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Well this is a kick in the rear for those that depend on some form of chocolate to raise blood sugar in a hurry. Nothing is as good as it once was so why should chocolate be any different. I close my doors and hide on Halloween getting too expensive, sign of the times, oh well.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

FlyersFan
then massively raise the prices (just in time for Halloween when you just HAVE to have it). And you WILL pay the prices to get it.

Maybe in far less quantity (not a bad thing, look at waistlines in the US) and a good chance of "not at all". My husband is a self-proclaimed chocolate addict, but even he said "F it, I don't want it that bad for that price" after the last price hike. He's not alone in that thought. A few of my chocolate addict friends also said F it entirely back then, and the others drastically cut back their consumption. I don't really like chocolate much myself, but I do love a good truffle or Rocher hazelnut ball, but with the cost of those treats, I haven't bothered in several years. I appear to be one of the few people immune to chocolate & sugar addiction, though, so it's no big deal for me to go without it.

Take my coffee, though, and I'll pummel someone. That's a promise, not a threat

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Oh that's just the limit!
Forget the kids ...I'm gonna dress up and go get me some free chocolate this Halloween!

In all actuality, I'll just go buy even more of it half price November 1.
Will their greed know no limits!?
Grrrrrrrrr.
edit on 23-9-2013 by AccessDenied because: punctuation

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
On behalf of every male in the world all i can say is "oh feck"...chocolate is the easiest way of placating a PMT suffering woman, might be worth stockpiling it by the hundredweight

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
To put a damper on Halloween, it would have to be sugar that was doubling up. This just means more jelly beans, popcorn, apples and gum as handouts.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Errr, a couple comments to earlier posts;

You don't need chocolate to raise your blood sugar if you're a diabetic with low blood sugar reaction; you simply need easily digested sugar in some form; fruit juice would work better.

For PMS, try magnesium supplements (too much and you'll get diarrhea though); PMS is made worse by mag deficiencies; it really helps with chocolate cravings.

Both sugar and chocolate are addictive, but in different ways. Sugar is chemically very similar to co-caine and hits the brain with almost as much force. Chocolate has theobromine which replicates a feeling of being in love and 'protected'; besides the flavor, it's quite a compelling reason to have some every day for people who are lonely or slightly depressed.

You may have noticed that as the price of chocolate goes up, more and more chocolate is higher in sugar and lower in true chocolate liquor; they're 'cutting' it the same way the dealers will cut heroin.

Aaaanddd, finally; if they can sell Halloween candy in the now-out of date orange packaging for half price on November 1st, the price really hasn't gone up all that much, has it?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Yet another tactic to bleed money from us. You would think they would let us sheeple at least one pleasure.

Makes you wonder what all these secret ingredients are.

And make a note of the sizes - are they about to get smaller again too? (for those of you who are too young to know - wagon wheels and jaffa cakes amongst other things used to be much bigger!)

There was a thread a while back on chocolate and the ingredients and how they use the cheap stuff to make the stuff they sell at the peak periods - easter, christmas, halloween etc. I have noticed that the quality does change depending on whether its an easter egg you're eating or just a plain old choccie bar.

Oh well - they can keep their chocolate (sighs) I was going off it anyway.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

You are right. I remember something about coffee doing this a few years back.
ATS Thread 2011 - Coffee Shortage Declared

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

"I must thwart Big Brothers choco ration doubleprice plan by any means necessary. Dirty rat bastard. UGGGG!!"

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Perhaps they can compensate for the price increase by holding similar money contests as the one below.

Then again too much chocolate w/o brushing your teeth will make you look like this

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Typical while food and gas/elec skyrockets our salary gets lower. Good job that I've bought a 2.5kg tin of quality streets for xmas. I also like my hot coco nooooooooooo damn you greed

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

whatnext21
Well this is a kick in the rear for those that depend on some form of chocolate to raise blood sugar in a hurry. Nothing is as good as it once was so why should chocolate be any different. I close my doors and hide on Halloween getting too expensive, sign of the times, oh well.

actually chocolate is not very good at raising blood sugar quickly, along with any other carb source which has a lot of fat, because fat digests very slowly.

you want a fast blood sugar increase go with dextrose/glucose or straight sugar without the fat.

on a side note i can honestly say i don't really care about the price of chocolate per say, since i eat so very little of it. although raising prices of any commodity is an economic concern for everyone somewhere along the line.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join