It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

killing off part of the great barrier reef

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   

www.facebook.com...

for those that can not go to link they are starting to dredge the great barrier reef so that they can
make a shipping canal for the export of coal.

this has to be stopped if its true and there does seem to be a lot of feedback on the facebook page

ps did a search just in case theres a search nazi about to say theres already a thread here

anyway what say you ATSers is this where armed forces SHOULD step in and STOP this from happening?

or just turn a blind eye as theres nothing to gain here

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Great recent article about the project going on via Time World

It also seems they have been talking the consequences since July if not earlier:

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by MysteriousHusky

thanks for adding a link as this news is new to me

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
This is my #1 favorite dive spot. I'll pay you a buck to leave it alone, coal guys.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I live in an area where these proposed ports are to be built. And all you will hear about is jobs.

Jobs jobs jobs, then more news about jobs. What's that, the water's polluted? well we have the answer; jobs. I know fishermen that are down in stock because of the pollution, and that's before the these ports were even proposed.

But most of these jobs that these ports will create will have a 100k plus annual salary, so money will obviously take precedence over the environment.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Thecakeisalie
I live in an area where these proposed ports are to be built. And all you will hear about is jobs.

Jobs jobs jobs, then more news about jobs. What's that, the water's polluted? well we have the answer; jobs. I know fishermen that are down in stock because of the pollution, and that's before the these ports were even proposed.

But most of these jobs that these ports will create will have a 100k plus annual salary, so money will obviously take precedence over the environment.

are people just letting this tragedy happen or is there a partition to stop it before its to late?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by maryhinge

There have been protests, but they barely made a sidebar. Nat king Coal rules here so you could imagine why the protests haven't grown in momentum.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Theres this process called sinking SHIPS that creates new reefs. Uhoohh did I just say that?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Thecakeisalie

There have been protests, but they barely made a sidebar. Nat king Coal rules here so you could imagine why the protests haven't grown in momentum.

that's the problem with this entire country today. protests are meaningless because they just get buried by the money. the people in power convince everyone that things will be fine and they shut up all the people who go against them. greed is destroying our planet.

ETA - i said this country but it's the whole world.... not just my country and yours.
edit on 23-9-2013 by pasiphae because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Bedlam
This is my #1 favorite dive spot. I'll pay you a buck to leave it alone, coal guys.

ill give another dollar..lol

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by eeks4

really bad bad news..there goes the natural echo system...wow whats next...

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
www.theguardian.com...

apparently this has been going on for a while. this article is from april of 2010

"This is the $60bn-a-year, largely foreign-owned coal industry that is making a coal highway out of the Great Barrier Reef," said Bob Brown, leader of the Australian Greens party. "There needs to be a radical overview of this huge coal export industry, whether these ships need to use the reef at all, and what the alternatives are," he said. Local fishermen have dubbed it the "reef rat run," saying ships routinely take shortcuts to save time and money on their voyage to China.

recent article: www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

Australia's new Prime Minister, Tony Abbott, who once famously said that climate change is "crap," has been accused of removing climate policies that protected the environment to allow the rich to become richer.

In a potentially disastrous "double-whammy," Greenpeace told HuffPost UK that Australia's reef not only faces being irreversibly damaged, but, additionally, as a result of the mining, the country's coal production threatens to spark carbon emissions on an unprecedented level.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Alchemst7

not a bad idea and in the process create more reef
i do hope thats what you meant

top topics

join