Solar activity drops to 100-year low puzzling scientists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
They already make comparisons to the Maunder Minimum,known as the little ice-age

LONDON: Predictions that 2013 would see an upsurge in solar activity and geomagnetic storms disrupting power grids and communications systems have proved to be a false alarm. Instead, the current peak in the solar cycle is the weakest for a century.

Subdued solar activity has prompted controversial comparisons with the Maunder Minimum, which occurred between 1645 and 1715, when a prolonged absence of sunspots and other indicators of solar activity coincided with the coldest period in the last millennium.

Probably no new mini ice-age but a very interesting article none the less.

Shows just how little we actualy know about our star.

Link Here

edit on 23-9-2013 by sunspot0 because: (no reason given)
edit on 23-9-2013 by sunspot0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
The lull before the storm?

The sun will just do what it's always done like displaying variable and unpredictable behaviour

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by sunspot0

Anybody seen the movie Sunshine? Kind of makes one wonder if our star is about to burp or burn out.
LoL

My understanding is that's not supposed to happen for another 4 or 5 billion years through.
edit on 23-9-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   

I really think it is a little premature to be talking about a Maunder Minimum at this stage. Really and honestly, the behaviour of the sun is something which in near enough every case, is very difficult to accurately predict in any case, and where things like assessing its patterns over time are concerned, making statements about their meaning before they have actually happened leaves one open to justified criticism.

In short, I believe the best thing that scientists can do at this point, would be to discontinue the predictive side of their efforts for the foreseeable future, and concentrate only on collecting higher levels of detailed information on its RECORDED behaviour for a decade. Taking the focus away from prediction, and re-focusing on recording data in a more informative way, would be more beneficial long term, than making faulty predictions and wasting time head scratching when it all falls apart !

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   

This is widely known by even the most vehement AGW fanatics and still there is no pause in the rhetoric from the 'atmosphere grabbers'.

While this doesn't mean that we should all go outside and burn coal and flatulate, it should have calmed the moderates more than it has.

Why hasn't that happened I wonder?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
In b4 ISON

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

By moderates, what precisely do you mean?

On the issue of climate change, there are those who either do not believe in it, or couldn't care a damn, and there are those who believe we are all whale murdering bastards who are killing the planet through foolishness.

Moderate is not a term which can be accurately applied to either camp. I would say that the people occupying the space between these positions are not merely moderate, but aware that science is a changing sculpture of understanding, rather than a static stone tablet, immutable and immortal. This would make them the only people even thinking about climate change, who aren't one kind of spittle spewing soapbox resident with an aching jaw and an empty head, or another.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   

TrueBrit
reply to post by greencmp

By moderates, what precisely do you mean?

On the issue of climate change, there are those who either do not believe in it, or couldn't care a damn, and there are those who believe we are all whale murdering bastards who are killing the planet through foolishness.

Moderate is not a term which can be accurately applied to either camp. I would say that the people occupying the space between these positions are not merely moderate, but aware that science is a changing sculpture of understanding, rather than a static stone tablet, immutable and immortal. This would make them the only people even thinking about climate change, who aren't one kind of spittle spewing soapbox resident with an aching jaw and an empty head, or another.

I mean scientists as opposed to political activists, the majority of evidence-based observers and reasonable minds. Our own secretary of energy gave a recent speech in which he lambasted so-called 'deniers' using only the IPCC special report as his evidence.
edit on 23-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   

When we count down from about today with 333 years we see comets , dead fish , earthquakes , tsunamis and the outbreak of the Black Death in Europe .

Today we are going to get away from the comet ISON being a collection of spaceships , but rather a " normal" comet . Then the question comes whether it is indeed a "normal" comet or maybe very special.

A comet with the regularity of 333 years on the clock back and that it was feared because he sowed death and destruction by mankind in the past but not only that, but also the arrival of a mini ice age heralded .

A comet that returns every 333 years .

If, starting from the year 2013 , going back 333 years in time , we come out in the year 1680, also known as the year of the Great Comet .

" This passage comet was so bright that he was just visible even during the day , something that might also be the case.

It is striking that the orbit of ISON is almost identical to that of the great comet of 1680 . The people were at that time terrified and saw it as a harbinger of doom .

What if it was the same comet that every 333 years makes his round through our solar system ? It not only provides a beautiful spectacle in the sky , but over the years he has also caused much misery .

So 1680 was also the year when the bubonic plague raged in Vienna , where 76,000 people lost their lives . The year 1680 was also a period in which there is very little sun spots were observed , the so-called Maunder Minimum or Little Ice Age .

Even now we are getting colder winters and , although we are officially on a solar maximum , there is very little solar activity to be seen. Is it possible that the bubonic plague in Vienna was caused by unknown cosmic particles that were carried by the Great Comet and everything possibly followed by more debris ? From space?

Is it possible that the arrival of this comet in some way related to a period of very little sun spots and thus a very cold episode , a mini ice age ?

We therefore go another 333 years back in time and then come out in the year 1347.

That was indeed a very special year also with a comet , Negra . Not only that, it was also the year when the Black Death in Europe erupted in full force . The bubonic plague that approximately 100 million people killed.

So says Professor Mike Baillie in his book : " New Light on the Black Death : The Cosmic Connection" that the Black Death was caused by a rain of meteorites which coincided with the arrival of comet Negra .

Furthermore, we learn from history that there is a very large earthquake occurred in January 1348 , followed by other heavy also . According Bailie this was due to comet fragments Negra which the earth passed in 1347 .

Wrote someone who lived at that time :

"There have been a lot of dead fish , animals and other things along the coasts and many places were covered with dust . It seems as if all these things are of great decay of the sky and the earth. " From

Other sources of that time tell about earthquakes , tidal waves , rain of fire , foul stench , strange colors in the sky , fog and even dragons . Historians have always dismissed as people with too much imagination, but Baillie believes they actually described what they saw.

What happened next is remarkably similar to what we experience today , in terms of dead animals and earthquakes least . Also, the year 1347 is again in a period of very low solar activity , the so-called Minimum Wolf .

Again, 333 years back and we end up in the year 1014. Even when there was a large comet debris and it touched the earth . They found evidence that when a swarm of meteors or debris from a comet hit . North America Not only there, but also the Atlantic Ocean , some mega tsunamis caused , besides of course the damage caused by the impact .

The result was that in England and also in our region , thousands of people died. In the U.S. itself obviously had a major impact and this disaster is probably responsible for the disappearance of the Aztec Empire.

Again 333 years brings us back to the year 681 about which little is known . Except maybe statements of Chinese astronomer Li Chunfeng who died in 670 , and in that time noticed that there are many fish died , crops failed and people at war .

Back 333 years back and we arrive at 348 again which almost nothing is known . What we have found is a woodcut from the fourth century where the ravages of a comet is proposed . We do not know for sure whether this was also the year 348 . It is a woodcut that was in the seventeenth century in the possession of the Polish astronomer Stanislaus Lubieniecki .
gc 1
However , again 333 years back and we come to the year 15 , about the period when The Star of Bethlehem was observed . Was this a star or maybe it was a comet that looked like this . Many ancient texts speak of this fact .

As it says on the website Daily Galaxy :

" Other speculations say that the famous Star of Bethlehem as it was recorded by ancient historians actually been a comet , a supernova or some other cosmic event " .
gc 2
And again further back in time 333 years brings us in 318 BC. Then there was indeed a comet observed by Chinese astronomers . Since they had no telescopes at that time , it must have been a big because he was observed . With the naked eye

In the year 300 BC there was a book that was called Mawangdui Silk , and there were quite accurate appearances of previous comets tracked and when they put all the link between the presence of the comet and the outbreak of the Plague .

In short , this comet ISON same that appears every 333 years ? That has led to disasters like tsunamis and the disappearance of entire nations? Which apparently is also (indirectly ) responsible for the outbreak of infectious diseases such as the bubonic plague ?

Of course we do not know. Answer However, the appearance of large comets with a fixed interval of 333 years , seems to be something more than just be. Coincidence?

(I got this article from the web) so i can't take the credit for this

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I suppose there are a couple possibilities.... Either it's gone quiet, which seems quite possible given just how far off solar activity is vs. it's projected track for this period on the charts....or it's building back pressure. I hope it's just in a quiet phase. I'd hate to see what comes from that thing if it's got a major point to make.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Annunak1

Look at that, your math is all wrong

www.timeanddate.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
It's building up for the Killshot.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

As i said. I didn't write the article so it isn't my math

Maybe it's a few days of then? Anyways something big is gonna happen. I can feel it in my waters.
Maybe i'm drinking to much water...

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Reminds me of those doomsday prophecies regarding astronomical events:

Many religions/ancient civilizations utilized the sun and moon to foresee coming changes. How literally should we read into such signs as reduced solar activity?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
The sun is doing it's thing. The sun has cycles, some very long. Until we get more accurate evidence, science cannot say for sure what is happening. Some say it is a double peak and it may not be over. Others say it is the weakest solar max in a long time. The Earth has an effect on the sun and the sun has an effect on the earth. We do not totally understand this yet. I am sure that every planet in the solar system has an effect on each other also even though we do not quite understand the relationship totally.

When the earth heats up to a certain point it usually triggers an ice age. This is what they taught in school when I was in school. It was an assumption on studying recorded history. Much new evidence backs this. Now the relationship with the warming of the earth effecting the sun is another thing that was hypothesized by some in the past but we have no real evidence to back that yet. We are overdue for an ice age if you use the global warming as a trigger for an ice age. I guess we just have to wait and see. I'm bummed, I was really hoping for it to warm up around here in the future. I guess dreams rarely come true but nightmares effect us forever.

If solar activity drops low, there is an inverse relationship to radioactive decay here on earth. This radioactive decay can heat the earth to buffer the temporary loss of heat from the sun. Decay is not constant, there is evidence to prove that now. When a flare erupts on the sun the rate of decay decreases throughout the world. That means the opposite effect will happen if the sun snuffs out for a little while. It will not protect us very long though and the radiation that happens may cause rapid evolution and a loss of many species of animals.
edit on 23-9-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   

sunspot0
Probably no new mini ice-age but a very interesting article none the less.
You're probably right about that, but I wouldn't rule out it could be related to the pause we've seen in global warming for the last decade.

Decade Long Global Warming 'Hiatus' Unlikely to Last, Says Draft U.N. Report

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I don't think the Sun is as predictable as we would like. Frankly, how can it be? As it travels through different areas it will behave differently as well. It is never perfectly on an 11 year cycle anyway.

Now, they are saying solar maximum MAY be double peaked. Time will tell...

My personal opinion is this is the calm before the storm.

Are we approaching another Ice Age? Possibly. While people are running around screaming global warming we are actually on the verge of a mini ice age. After reading many scholar papers on the subject, it makes me wonder.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

buster2010
It's building up for the Killshot.

As expected, whatever happens the sky is either falling, rising or exploding.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   

This is what maddens the "regular joe" about science. So they have studied it for about 150 years, really. And in that time, only that last 40 or so have provided any real ability to study it.

I get that science cannot interject that which they have no evidence for. But the problem this leaves is that anything that hasn't, in this case, happened in the last 150 years is considered impossible. And when it does happen, it puzzles.

What if the last 100 years represent a period of transition, where the energies of the sun were in harmonic, causing the 11 year cycle? What if that 11 year cycle actually was an irregularity?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

The sun is doing it's thing. The sun has cycles, some very long. Until we get more accurate evidence, science cannot say for sure what is happening. Some say it is a double peak and it may not be over. Others say it is the weakest solar max in a long time.

You really hit it there better than anyone I think. We are all still trying to make absolute statements and grand declarations of the behavior for something that is billions of years old, as far as our best science can determine, and we only have a tiny snapshot of history for to determnine past behavior from.

I've been more surprised than not as I've explored space topics to build a web project on this subject. The degree we don't know and guess about as a species far surpasses what we know and build knowledge from, IMO. At least outside our safe little ball of atmosphere.

Heck..It wasn't that long ago in historic terms that the Carrington Event happend. A lesser known event in 774 A.D. shows a BIG rise in radiation with clear sign it was extraterristrial in origin. Another present from the Sun to an unsuspecting world? Sooooo much we don't know, eh?
edit on 23-9-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join