It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A possible case of military experimentation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   
This mystery concerns a family member, and I�m wondering if anyone out there has heard of anything similar to this.

The subject is male, born in 1943. In 1965, near the beginning of the Vietnam conflict, he was conscripted into the armed services. Using some sort of loophole, he enlisted in the Navy to avoid being sent overseas. He was then assigned to the Norfolk, Virginia naval base, where he served as an aircraft technician.

In the Spring of 1966, the subject was on leave at home when an incident occurred. What exactly happened is unclear, however he was taken to the naval hospital in New Bedford, Massachusetts and declared mentally incompetent.

I recently managed to gain access to the offical records. The doctor reports that the subject was distraught over something having to do with his genitals; however there is no description of the exact complaint, only the doctor�s observation that the subject was �incoherent and rambling�. There is no evidence of any medical inquiry being made on the basis of the patient�s complaints. He was quickly diagnosed as suffering from paranoid schizophrenia and classified as a danger to himself and others. He had no prior history of mental illness.

The report does however make a passing mention of possible sensory deprivation. It was observed that the patient�s stress levels suggested he had gone three weeks without sleeping.

The hospital released the subject within a month; he was later honorably discharged. Fifteen years later, a claim was filed with the US government. He was quickly granted a 100% disability, including a full pension and full medical and dental care for the rest of his life.

Since 1966, the subject has not been treated for any form of mental illness. He built his own home, speaks some 7 or 8 languages and holds an extra class ham radio license. He does exhibit some �eccentric� behaviors, primarily a marked distrust of government at all levels as well as several symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder.

I wonder at the government�s generosity in granting these benefits. Is anyone aware of any Navy medical experimentation occurring during the mid�sixties? No one in our family has any idea what really happened, and the subject refuses to speak about his time in the service and becomes agitated whenever the topic is discussed. I appreciate any information anyone out there can provide.

join