It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Problems with malware popups on ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I know there exists a thread for this already, but I'm one of these folk who have trouble finding my query in the search bar. Please feel free to move/delete.

As of tonight, each time I attempt to open an ATS thread, I receive a popup from AVAST informing me that a virus or malware has been blocked. This is the best way I can describe it.
I also have a screen cap of the popup. Hopefully I can post it properly here:

Perhaps someone would be wiling to explain this to me. Thanks in advance.

on a side note.....my indentations do not format as I wish them to.
edit on 9/23/2013 by GoodDocGonzo because: edit to add another screen cap

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I have been getting them the last few days. So much so that i dont really get on here all the much now days.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by GoodDocGonzo

Well -- Norton doesn't find anything except the usual tracking cookies. Perhaps your system picked up something elsewhere?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   

BayesLike

Well -- Norton doesn't find anything except the usual tracking cookies. Perhaps your system picked up something elsewhere?

Same with my Trend Micro.....nothing but cookies

Sadly, they're not chocolate chip cookies....

edit on 23-9-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Its not malware but rather its advertisements that are deceitful. Its ads like infection found and your virus database it out of date and needs to be updated.

I get them and i dont use avast. I use avg. The site comes up clean. Its just deceptive advertising to get you to click.

Most ad hosts use a pay per click system....what better to catch your attention than a virus warning.

I think the owner needs to check into what is being hosted on the site.
edit on 9/23/2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Thanks to those that have contributed tonight. I'll look into updating my antivirus, though it usually auto updates 2 to 3 times a day with the newest virus definitions. I'll also run a full scan and let everyone know what results from it. Again, thanks everyone for the prompt replies and advice.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Strangely I have Avast but I'm not getting these warnings.

So at a guess because I have adblock enabled, these dodgy adverts aren't getting the opportunity to run in the first place. (Which is why I have adblock, I got hit by a dodgy ad once and thought nope, never again.)

I'd recommend the ad and java script blocker add-ons for Firefox. They make surfing a lot safer.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Avast can be bad about false positives. Then again, it could be some malware on your machine.

Try running malwarebytes free, or a copy of Junkware Removal Tool, and AdwCleaner. Both found at...

bleepingcomputer

Scroll down to bottom for AdwCleaner.

top topics

join